• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wythe Official Thread - this ain't your meemaw's yeehaw

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This seems like a good comparison shot of the colors.

Personally like the cream, light blue, and goldenrod the best.

04E0B340-CBD8-459B-AA93-6301FDBF1984_1_105_c.jpeg

espen

Reaction score
Went with light blue myself. Hopefully arriving next week.

thesilentist

Reaction score
Did people take their regular size in the Western? Or did they size up? I'm looking at the new Tencels and the size seems to run very slim.

@eddiemczee curious what size you took.

I took a size large in both the moleskin (black) and tencel (off-white undyed) shirts, which is a size up for me. I like the way both ended up fitting as a large. I typically wear a medium in most non-Asian brands for shirts.

I like the tencel shirt fabric a lot, but my only gripe is the front seems about 2" shorter than the back length. Makes it hard to stay tucked unless you're wearing high-waisted pants (which I'm not a fan of, but I understand is part of the brand's offering).

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I took a size large in both the moleskin (black) and tencel (off-white undyed) shirts, which is a size up for me. I like the way both ended up fitting as a large. I typically wear a medium in most non-Asian brands for shirts.

I like the tencel shirt fabric a lot, but my only gripe is the front seems about 2" shorter than the back length. Makes it hard to stay tucked unless you're wearing high-waisted pants (which I'm not a fan of, but I understand is part of the brand's offering).

Thanks! Have you tried machine washing yours? I bought one partly because Peter said that these are machine washable.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I received the gab Western shirt. I really like it. The measurements on NMWA and Wythe are so different and I don't know why. My shirt measures much closer to NMWA's measurements. I measured 21.25" from pit to pit on a size medium. NMWA lists this size as 20.9" and Wythe lists this as 23". I don't know how someone can measure 23" across on this shirt I have in my hand, but maybe there were different batch productions?

The fabric is much heavier than one might expect. It almost feels like a flannel, but obviously much silkier. I found that I could tuck it easily into jeans -- the back length is so long on mine, you almost have to tuck. The stitching is surprisingly clean and straight for such a silky fabric. As others have noted, I wish the collar points were just a little longer, although that might make the shirt feel more retro. I like the chest pocket design. Overall, the shirt makes you feel ... sexy. It's basically like wearing a heavy silk shirt.

The only thing that makes me uneasy is the snaps. All my snap button shirts are made from more robust fabrics such as heavy denim or flannel. These snaps are very secure, and when popping them on and off, I find myself wondering if the snaps will rip through the Tencel fabric. I suppose time will tell.

I've only tried one size, and I sized up. But I think this shirt looks good a size up. It's basically like this

6EFCF1F7-9883-47B9-99A1-D40C442E9F38_1_105_c_1024x1024.jpg

Whereas this might be TTS:

4C7E9B7F-7655-42FC-B6BA-14EBBEE0ABBC_1_105_c_1024x1024.jpg

Last edited:

Jlord

Reaction score
I received the gab Western shirt. I really like it. The measurements on NMWA and Wythe are so different and I don't know why. My shirt measures much closer to NMWA's measurements. I measured 21.25" from pit to pit on a size medium. NMWA lists this size as 20.9" and Wythe lists this as 23". I don't know how someone can measure 23" across on this shirt I have in my hand, but maybe there were different batch productions?

The fabric is much heavier than one might expect. It almost feels like a flannel, but obviously much silkier. I found that I could tuck it easily into jeans -- the back length is so long on mine, you almost have to tuck. The stitching is surprisingly clean and straight for such a silky fabric. As others have noted, I wish the collar points were just a little longer, although that might make the shirt feel more retro. I like the chest pocket design. Overall, the shirt makes you feel ... sexy. It's basically like wearing a heavy silk shirt.

The only thing that makes me uneasy is the snaps. All my snap button shirts are made from more robust fabrics such as heavy denim or flannel. These snaps are very secure, and when popping them on and off, I find myself wondering if the snaps will rip through the Tencel fabric. I suppose time will tell.

I've only tried one size, and I sized up. But I think this shirt looks good a size up. It's basically like this

View attachment 1596525

Whereas this might be TTS:

View attachment 1596526
Thanks for the insight.

How do you see yourself pairing it?

Wondering about versatility.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just spoke with Peter at Wythe. He said:

- The NMWA shirts have the same cut as the shirts on his site. When asked why do they have such different measurements, he says he's not sure, but it might be because of how the person measured them. He said that the back panel is much larger than the front. So when combined with the triple pleats, it may be because the person at NMWA measured across the front of the chest, whereas the person at his site measured at the back and with the pleats stretched out.

- There are no more pearl snap shirt designs scheduled for this season, but he's planning to restock the green, goldenrod, and camp colors in a few weeks (camp is the tan color, not cream). There's also a washed denim pearl snap shirt in the works for fall.

- I confirmed that the lilac and light blue colors are labeled correctly on his site (they looked switched to me)

- The model on his site is wearing his normal size in all the photos. However, he agrees that people should size up if they want a more flowy fit. I personally would go based on NMWA's shirt measurements. IMO that gives you a good idea of the fit.

- Peter says he likes to wear this shirt open. Or not fully snapped up and layered over a tank top (I assume tucked).

I just received mine and haven't had time to play with it. But I like how it looked yesterday worn tucked with a pair of blue jeans. I think the slightly silkier look might also go well with Wrangler Wrancher jeans and a denim trucker for some 1970s workwear vibes. Or layered under a sport coat, as @thesilentist mentioned above.

I think @Baron and @justridiculous picked up the goldenrod shirt. Curious what they think of it and how they plan to wear it.

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mine was just delivered (along with the pleated pants), but I’m at work. Will report back when I’m home to check it out.

In the meantime, would love to see some fit pics!

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm kinda pissed that I've blown my spring/summer budget away already because these shirts are just the type of innovation I want to see. Something new and cool but that references things I know, and I'd be comfortable integrating to my wardrobe as is.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I bought the goldenrod western in L, which is my true size. I sized up to XL on the moleskin and I thought that fit well, though I didn't keep it because it was heavier than I wanted. I find the tencel fits a bit easier than the moleskin because it's softer and also moves easier. I don't think it fits slim at all, though I think it would also fit fine sized up one for a different vibe.

Reactions: XWT

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I had a chance to try out my goldenrod western shirt. As stated earlier, I'm between sizes (large and XL) and went with the XL. The shirt is beautiful, the fabric is great, and the color is very cool. But... it's a bit short on me :/ huge bummer, as I was really excited about this piece. The sleeves hit just right, which is actually workable and isn't a big deal, but the front of the shirt is much too short. I don't know if I just have a long torso, but it just looks awkward on me. Again, really too bad, but it won't work for me.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So, I had a chance to try out my goldenrod western shirt. As stated earlier, I'm between sizes (large and XL) and went with the XL. The shirt is beautiful, the fabric is great, and the color is very cool. But... it's a bit short on me :/ huge bummer, as I was really excited about this piece. The sleeves hit just right, which is actually workable and isn't a big deal, but the front of the shirt is much too short. I don't know if I just have a long torso, but it just looks awkward on me. Again, really too bad, but it won't work for me.

Yea, if I could change one thing on the shirt, it would be to lengthen the front by a couple of inches.

Curious, what were you planning to wear with the yellow shirt? I'm thinking about picking up another, but am between goldenrod and light blue.

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea, if I could change one thing on the shirt, it would be to lengthen the front by a couple of inches.

Curious, what were you planning to wear with the yellow shirt? I'm thinking about picking up another, but am between goldenrod and light blue.

Yeah, same here. Really is too bad.

I was going to wear it with light washed jeans, white/cream pants, or black jeans. Up top, lightweight olive outerwear, denim jacket, or a brown suede jacket. Probably just over a tank top.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads