• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Www.overstock.com

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey forum, I came across overstock.com and found some great items, but the prices seem too good to be true. Dolce & Gabbana dress shirts (not the D&G line) in nice colors for $56, Helmut Lang polos for $30, fine watches for 50%+ off, a black 3-button Dolce suit for $350, and many other great deals. I remember hearing about a company (not sure if it was overstock or a similar company) selling fake Tiffany jewelry. Anyone know if this is legit? I was looking at this black polo: http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin....191764# Any opinions? How does the sizing for HL run?

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
overstock IS the site that sold the fake Tiffany pendants. Whether it was a 1 time screwup on their end or indicative of regular business I don't know. Personally when I saw how ridiculous they acted with the Tiffany customers I vowed not to buy from them, but I am sure EVERYTHING they carry is not questionable- they would have been shut down now if that were the case.

FCS

Reaction score
I saw the CEO got interviewed on CNBC's Kudlow & Cramer in mid-Dec. They said it's among the top 50 (or top 100, I can't really remember) e-commerce websites with the most traffic. At that time the CEO commented about getting some considerable stocks of D&G at really good prices. I saw some of the stuff and the prices were definitely not bad.

I don't think you would find the top-of-the-line upscale items there, though.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
overstock IS the site that sold the fake Tiffany pendants. Whether it was a 1 time screwup on their end or indicative of regular business I don't know. Personally when I saw how ridiculous they acted with the Tiffany customers I vowed not to buy from them, but I am sure EVERYTHING they carry is not questionable- they would have been shut down now if that were the case.
Yeah, I heard about how they handled that TIffany snafu, talk about awful customer service.

I found a similar Dolce shirt for sale on ebay...actually many. That seller sold a lot of fake merchandise, and a few customers have complained that their D&G shirts were fake (same style).

The parts that made me think twice about it were:

1. Stitching on inside tag is coming loose in photo
2. I haven't seen a Dolce dress shirt that has a logo tag on the shirt pocket
3. Tag on outside pocket says D&G Dolce & Gabbana...I thought those were two separate lines. If the shirt was from the more expensive line, would the tag also say D&G?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Stitching on inside tag is coming loose in photo
2. I haven't seen a Dolce dress shirt that has a logo tag on the shirt pocket
3. Tag on outside pocket says D&G Dolce & Gabbana...I thought those were two separate lines. If the shirt was from the more expensive line, would the tag also say D&G?

I can't comment on the authenticity of the particular garment, but:
1) That's because IT made products are not the best quality anyway.
2) Yes, these exist
3) Many D&G shirts have this (the tag reads: D&G Dolce&Gabbana.) I've seen these in the D&G store in the Beverly Center many times. If they're selling fake stuff there, then we're starting to beg the question of what is and what is not a fake.

FCS

Reaction score
Hold on, so there is the 'Dolce & Gabbana' line AND the 'D&G' line?

aybojs

Reaction score
For curiosity's sake, would anyone mind detailing the whole fake Tiffany pendant snafu and the response overstock.com gave?

As for Dolce: they have three lines, IIRC:

One called "&," which is like a European version of Armani Exchange.
One called "D&G," which is another diffusion line, though above & in styling and price point.
Their main line is Dolce & Gabbana, which is the highest in both price and "quality," though given what I've seen of the brand's quality (even the high end suits they offer are fused), I can't say that amounts to much.

FCS

Reaction score
Last time I saw a suit from Dolce & Gabbana, although I'm not sure from which line, it was partially canvassed.

bryce330

Reaction score
There are actually four lines - the three mentioned by aybojs and "Dolce & Gabbana Basic."

They differ significantly in quality and styling - the "Basic" line is basic stuff like solid-color dress shirts and unexciting suits, the "&" line is trendy along the lines of Armani Exchange, the "D&G" line is over-the-top Eurotrash, and the "Dolce & Gabbana" line is more stylish and elegant.

There was an article in the Wall Street Journal a couple months ago about the fact that Dolce is in much better financial shape than similar design houses (such as Prada or Versace) - according to the article, among the reasons are that they have done a good job separating their various brands and they have done a better job focusing on the "basics" than their competitors.

I know at least some of the high-end "Dolce & Gabbana" suits are canvassed.

As for the shirts on Overstock, I personally have never seen Dolce shirts with a label on the chest pocket like that, but that's not to say they aren't authentic.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should have done this before, here is the shirt-in-question: http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin....=549263 Here is an almost identical shirt on Ebay that I assume to be fake (due to seller's reputation and feedback from the buyers of this shirt itself): http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....y=57991 Note that the shirt in the Overstock.com picture doens't have the tag on the pocket like the ebay shirt does, but it says it does in the description. The similarity of the two shirts makes me think that they are the same.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As for the shirts on Overstock, I personally have never seen Dolce shirts with a label on the chest pocket like that, but that's not to say they aren't authentic.
Thats what really made me hesitate to buy. I wouldn't imagine that they would slap a label on the pocket of their highest-end line dress shirts.

Maxim

Reaction score
What's Dolce's lines compared in quality to Versace's lines? Like the Classic or Versus to the D&G, &, etc.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's Dolce's lines compared in quality to Versace's lines? Like the Classic or Versus to the D&G, &, etc.
Here's my take:

Top Line: Gianni Versace line = Dolce & Gabbana line
Similar price points, yet this is one of Versace's most flambouyant lines and it is one of Dolce's more conservative lines.

Middle Line: Versace Classic/V2 = Dolce & Gabbana Basic
Versus = D&G

Both Versace Classic/V2 (my favorite Versace line) and Dolce & Gabbana Basic feature simple yet elegant pieces, with the occational flair. Versus and D&G are aimed at younger people, and the pieces are borderline ugly/over-the-top for the most part.

Bottom Line: Istante = &

Cheapest lines. Istante seems to be more plain and boring, while '&' seems to be more like A|X and express, targeted at 18-24 year olds.

Maxim

Reaction score
Doesn't Versace also have a couture line? It says Gianni Versace Couture on the tags.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads