1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

www.moderntailor.com Custom Tailored Clothing Official Thread

Discussion in 'Former Affiliate Vendor Threads; a Locked Forum.' started by moderntailoremma, Aug 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moderntailoremma

moderntailoremma Senior member

I got the same thing

Checking out the issue now.

I'll send another post for updates

E

2. wj2009

wj2009 Senior member

I shop at MT. My two biggest peeves with you guys are this:
    1. For your body measurements, you have two parameters: STOMACH and BODY.

Stomach
    \t\t\t\t

Flat\t
    Slight\t
    Medium\t
    Large\t
    Hefty

Body
    \t\t\t\t

Slim\t
    Well built\t
    Athletic\t
    Regular\t
    Hefty

However, this information is extremely redundant of one another. Moreover, I'm not sure how it could further help you, since you already have all the most necessary measurements, including height/weight, to create the shirt.

2. MOST IMPORTANTLY: You should DECONSTRUCT a standard shirt, and tell *US* what range of sizes this would fit, and I will explain to you what I mean by DECONSTRUCT, since I had to literally DONATE 4-5 of my first MT shirts, because I wasn't taking down the measurements that well. One thing that would be helpful to us is when you first ask us what our dress shirt sizes are here in the USA. For example, I am a 15.5" and 34/35. Then, your system should say: "From our analysis, the wearer of shirts this size have the following RANGE OF SIZES FOR THE
    Neck\t 15.5 ------> This is exactly what you specified. \t
    Chest\t 38-40\t
    Waist\t 35-37\t
    Hips\t 38-41
    Shoulder\t 17.5-18.5\t
    Left Sleeve Length\t 24-26\t
    Right Sleeve Length\t inches 24-26
    Left Wrist 6.5-7.5
    Right Wrist\t 6.5-7.5
    Bicep\t 14.5-15.5
    Shirt Length\t 30-32\t
    Armhole\t 18-20

As a note: I'd like to say that the 34"-35" that I wear for dress shirts can be derived by the fact that I my shoulder is 18" and my arm length is 25". Therefore half shoulders (9") + 25" for arm length is 34".

I realize that you have a built-in error-reducing algorithm, which would say "This measurement exceeds 12% of the standard sizing, and the standard sizing is calculated from statistics, but you can still go on" if the measurement is a little off, and if the measurement is severely off, it will say: "Measurement incorrect, please check, or you can not continue."

However, you should, especially for first timers, ask them what their standard dress shirt sizes are, since everybody who orders from MT knows what this is. And based on what this person says (i.e. 16.5" by 32/33"), you would have provided them the VERY TYPICAL range of your other measurements (i.e. your wrist, stomach, shoulder, etc.) based on who this shirt size can accommodate.

Why bother when you can provide the EXACT measurements of every part? I think if you are to order MTM online, then you'd better know all that, at least after first couple of orders. Going with sizing like 15.5/33 is VERY insufficient. Just my 2c.

3. wj2009

wj2009 Senior member

BTW, moderntailoremma, I think not having a $10 or $20 off coupon it is gonna cost you some first time customers, when they know the first order is very likely to be a waste.

Regarding the shipping, isn't there a way you can do better? If you have sizable orders from US, just bulk mail to US every 2-3 days and redistribute within US. USPS priority will mail 2-3 shirts for $5. Just a suggestion.

4. moderntailoremma

Checking out the issue now.

I'll send another post for updates

E

Sorry for the temp inconvenience guys: styleforum20off is now working again [​IMG]

Regards,
    E

5. moderntailoremma

BTW, moderntailoremma, I think not having a $10 or $20 off coupon it is gonna cost you some first time customers, when they know the first order is very likely to be a waste.

Regarding the shipping, isn't there a way you can do better? If you have sizable orders from US, just bulk mail to US every 2-3 days and redistribute within US. USPS priority will mail 2-3 shirts for $5. Just a suggestion.

Hello,

We understand some people have no experience with online tailoring so we have $19.95 first shirt - trial offer. This is an unbeatable offer.

Plus we have a regular SF promo for our repeat customers...
    styleforum20off = 20% discount(max USD 20)
    This can be used even on items on sale.

And if customers like to have a feel of our fabrics, we offer our swatches at 25 usd, free delivery, with 3 x $10 vouchers.

E

6. hobscrk777

hobscrk777 Senior member

Also, some basic, traditional blue/white stripes would seem like an obvious standard that after pouring through all the fabric selections seems to be missing. There are a few that come close, but nothing that nails it; I'm thinking something as simple as this:

[​IMG]

The closest I've found (#s V35 and p191) unfortunately only come in "easy care" fabric.

I'll try to snap some photos of my shirt tonight.

I ordered a shirt almost exactly like that about two months ago in fabric P35, and I can attest that it's a great fabric (2 ply, 140s). Also, MT frequently removes old fabrics and adds new ones. If you don't see one you like, check again in a month or so.

You know you can filter your search for fabrics right? I'm not sure why you were having trouble finding a simple blue/white striped fabric. Have a look at these:
    A3, 0216, P35, A98, A26, 991145

7. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Senior member

You know you can filter your search for fabrics right? I'm not sure why you were having trouble finding a simple blue/white striped fabric. Have a look at these:
    A3, 0216, P35, A98, A26, 991145

Uhm, yes, the filtering feature is pretty obvious. The examples that you list are all off-the-mark except for possibly the last one -- although even that looks like the stripe is too narrow to be a match.

I'm not saying they don't have any blue/white stripe shirts; like I said, they have a few that come close, but no match. The blue/white "university stripe" is an American staple that I would think would be in demand and it seems to be missing.

8. BostonElitist

BostonElitist Well-Known Member

Why bother when you can provide the EXACT measurements of every part? I think if you are to order MTM online, then you'd better know all that, at least after first couple of orders. Going with sizing like 15.5/33 is VERY insufficient. Just my 2c.

I agree with you. If you provide your exact dimensions for those 10 parameters (hips, waist, stomach, chest, biceps, wrist, neck, shoulder, arm, and shirt-length), YOU WILL NOT HAVE TO SPECIFY ANYTHING ELSE AT ALL. You should NOT have to specify your height, weight, or phsyique, since the dimensions of the shirt is derived from the 10 parameters that you have provided.

9. BostonElitist

Another thing, I think that MT should only use "BODY MEASUREMENTS".

MT has the option of measuring one of your nicely fitting shirts, and they can replicate this. However, I believe that by doing this, you are only getting an OTR shirt with more options, but NOT A BESPOKE TAILORED FIT. Deriving a sizing scheme off a shirt results in a loss of sizing information, since we would all interpret sizes and measuring of dimensions differently (I know that when I take my own measurements, the numbers are not perfectly in agreement, but there is a small deviation even within 10 seconds of taking the measurements). Since measuring a shirt which you already own introduces errors into the sizing, they are better off simply knowing the dress shirt size and/or S/M/L/XL size of the shirt, and work from there.

MT measuring a shirt and "replicating" is like making a Xerox copy of a Xerox copy of a geometric pattern. For perfect accuracy and perfect reproducibility, take down all the parameters to describe that geometric pattern. This is analgous to the BODY MEASUREMENTS.

10. StanleyVanBuren

words words words

I took a shirt that fit properly in the shoulders to my alterations tailor and had him alter basically everything else to make it perfect. I then copied all of the resulting measurements and used that as my pattern for MT. Minimal effort, minimal cost, superb results.

If you want an expert tailor to measure your body and make you a shirt, then there are plenty of options. Internet MTM isn't one of them.

11. viator

viator Senior member

I disagree with you. Measuring a shirt you already own, which you can lay flat and work with very easily, is much less prone to error than having someone else measure you. In addition, even if you are great at measuring yourself, submitting body measurements introduces another variable - you're asking someone else to interpret those measurements and then make a pattern. If you measure your shirt, you'll get a shirt that matches those measurements, which is much more appealing to me.

12. viator

viator Senior member

And another thing, why would you want ModernTailor to provide fewer options to the customer? If you don't like the option to measure your own shirt, then don't use it. What's it to you if I prefer that? Why would you want to deny me that option?

13. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

MT has the option of measuring one of your nicely fitting shirts, and they can replicate this. However, I believe that by doing this, you are only getting an OTR shirt with more options, but NOT A BESPOKE TAILORED FIT.

Using body measurements is no different, that's why it's called 'made to measure', not bespoke. Essentially both approaches are exactly the same except with body measurements they add a few inches to each one to derive the actual shirt measurements. That doesn't make one any less 'tailored' or 'bespoke' than the other.

14. Icehawk

Icehawk Senior member

Using body measurements is no different, that's why it's called 'made to measure', not bespoke. Essentially both approaches are exactly the same except with body measurements they add a few inches to each one to derive the actual shirt measurements. That doesn't make one any less 'tailored' or 'bespoke' than the other.

I went with using a shirt that fits me perfectly, figure it is way easier to measure that than have someone measure me and have MT (or any tailor) attempt to adjust that hoping for the same result.

For $35 I got a "starter" shirt with the upgraded buttons, don't own a black shirt so figured I might as well see how they stack up vs CYC who I just received two shirts from. Will update once I receive the shirt.

15. BostonElitist

I disagree with you. Measuring a shirt you already own, which you can lay flat and work with very easily, is much less prone to error than having someone else measure you. In addition, even if you are great at measuring yourself, submitting body measurements introduces another variable - you're asking someone else to interpret those measurements and then make a pattern. If you measure your shirt, you'll get a shirt that matches those measurements, which is much more appealing to me.

Here's something that you should consider trying: Measure the back and front rise of your pants. I GUARANTEE that you would have a RANGE of values. If I tried to measure the back rise of ONE OF MY PANTS, I get a range of values, from 16.875, 17.00, and 17.25. Also, the fabric has a slight elasticity associated with it, so the back rise can change based on how much I'm stretching out the fabric, or how I angle the tape measure.

To be fair, this divergence in measurements is also found in body measurements, however, for many measurements, this is NOT the case, such as wrists. But for stomach, especially, this can change. The stomach area is very elastic. The measurement fluctuates based on the emptiness/fullness of your stomach, where you place the tape measure, how tight do you have it around your elastic stomach, and probably at what point of your respiratory cycle you're in. However, this value is easier to take, and if they did diverge, they diverge LESS.

Also, it's very difficult to measure certain dimensions since they are curvilinear measurements. Unless I know the mathematical equation, I can't take the integral of the arc length (never mind that arc length calculations using calculus is a numeric approximation for most functions).

16. BostonElitist

And another thing, why would you want ModernTailor to provide fewer options to the customer? If you don't like the option to measure your own shirt, then don't use it. What's it to you if I prefer that? Why would you want to deny me that option?

Viator,
    Not all options are good options. If I had a shirt company, would it be an improvement if I were identical to MT, except that you have the OPTION (but not the obligation) to purchase a shirt with wine stains on it? It's more options, after all, than what MT has for you today.

I personally think that measuring a shirt for MT is inferior to simply giving them your dress shirt size (i.e. 14.5" and 32/33"). I'm sure that they have the detailed instructions for the arms and all based on these 2 parameters.

17. Yika

Yika Senior member

Viator,
    Not all options are good options. If I had a shirt company, would it be an improvement if I were identical to MT, except that you have the OPTION (but not the obligation) to purchase a shirt with wine stains on it? It's more options, after all, than what MT has for you today.

I personally think that measuring a shirt for MT is inferior to simply giving them your dress shirt size (i.e. 14.5" and 32/33"). I'm sure that they have the detailed instructions for the arms and all based on these 2 parameters.

No, What about the people who don't fit well OTR, e.g. smell chest or large drop. The option to measure a shirt for MT allow the customers to tweak around with measurements that otherwise would not be possible for mass OTR shirts.

Go read their guide on how take measurements.

18. Fatman

Fatman Member

Viator,
    Not all options are good options. If I had a shirt company, would it be an improvement if I were identical to MT, except that you have the OPTION (but not the obligation) to purchase a shirt with wine stains on it? It's more options, after all, than what MT has for you today

Stupid that you would say this. If you want to submit body measurements you can.

19. landshark

landshark Senior member

Viator, Not all options are good options. If I had a shirt company, would it be an improvement if I were identical to MT, except that you have the OPTION (but not the obligation) to purchase a shirt with wine stains on it? It's more options, after all, than what MT has for you today.
    No, it would not necessarily be an improvement to offer wine stained shirts. However, nobody here is arguing that all options are good options. The fact that Modern Tailor is offering several different ways to provide measurements ( by size, body measurement, shirt measurement, or shirt sample). Each additional way gives the customer more possible confidence in getting a shirt that they are comfortable with.
    Holy shit you are an idiot. Do you actually think that by giving your neck size and your typical shirt sleeve size MT will be able to "figure out" the size of your arms, waist, chest, shoulders etc? I cannot believe you are a rational being with some of the statements that you make. I am also baffled by the fact that you are so stupid that you cannot appreciate the benefits of options.

20. StanleyVanBuren

Here are the shots of my first MT shirt. This result was achieved by using the process I described above (having my alterations tailor make an OTR shirt fit perfect, and then taking measurements off that shirt). Knowing how to properly measure helps, obviously. YMMV.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hard to tell here but the shape of the curve and the stitching isn't 100% perfect:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is my biggest gripe about how the collar turned out; this overlap can happen:
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.