• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWChan without Patrick. Should I wait?

mrmax

Reaction score
Title pretty much says it all. Patrick of WWChan is not in HK at the moment. As this will be my first shot with them, should I wait for him to come back or go see someone else over there?

He isnt due back until the 24-25th of this month...

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had Patrick measure me and produce probably the most poor fitting garment I've ever had made. I'm not saying he's bad or that others will be better, but, in my limited experience, having Patrick did not translate into having a product I was happy with.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That rather amazes me! I and many others have been extremely satisfied with Patrick's services.

As for waiting, you might contact Arnold Wong, the sales manager, for his advice. Since Patrick is on tour for the better part of three months out of the year, I am sure they must have other competent personnel to perform such services in his absence.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I in no way am disparaging Patrick or WW Chan. Many have had very successful visits with him, and my experience was probably an anamoly. I more meant that having Patrick does not guarantee a perfect garment, and you could very well do perfectly fine with another person taking your measurements.

schanop

Reaction score
If you are having two weeks time in Hong Kong and can get at least two to three fittings, I would say go ahead. However, you probably have to insist what you want. I had two coats made over the past three months. One was a 14oz H&S linen in cream, and the other was Porter and Harding 17Oz tweed. Because I had time to go to multiple fittings, my results were very satisfactory.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
That rather amazes me! I and many others have been extremely satisfied with Patrick's services.

As for waiting, you might contact Arnold Wong, the sales manager, for his advice. Since Patrick is on tour for the better part of three months out of the year, I am sure they must have other competent personnel to perform such services in his absence.

It rather amazes me that anyone with an IQ above 10 who has spent any time on this site would think that tailors never mess up.

Add to that the fact that Chan is essentially a discounter (which increases the probability of failure) and it's pretty to see that not everyone will be happy.

I think that under certain conditions they're worth trying with one of those conditions being a reasonable expectation of what they can do.

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Discounter compared to Savile Row correct?

mrmax

Reaction score
I'll have a word with Arnold Wong and see what he has to say, thanks for the suggestions.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah I wouldn't say WW Chan is discounter if you're just considering the HK scene...definitely on the higher end of pricing. It's not Huntsman prices, but your average Central worker would consider those very high prices to pay for a custom made suit.

Bosco's pricing is half of WW Chan, they're well made for that price but what you lose is the ability to have most of your input go into the final product.

mrmax

Reaction score
I had considered A-man as well as the cheaper Bosco, but have finally settled on Chan - mostly due to whoopee's wonderful, kilgour-like pagoda shoulders with roping.

That pretty much sold me on going MTM. This will be my first.

(welcoming tips on how to instruct chan for a newbie!)

mrmax

Reaction score
Looks like the bespoke gods arent helping. Patrick isnt back until the 24th, and he's taken all the Crispaires with him. I wont be able to get it done in time before I leave....ugh...

Anyone suggest a good alternative to the Crispaire?

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
check out A Man instead? Based on what i read and heard, it seems that's the best alternative. If you came all the way to Hong Kong from far away, might as well leave having gotten your money's worth, no point in settling for less at this point.

HKTenor

Reaction score
I have found A-Man to be slightly better in construction and fit than WW Chan, but you really need to know what you want in terms of silhouette and details, and the fabric selection is not quite as good. But in general I would call them the equal of WWC at least. However, I haven't had anything made by Chan's (except for formal wear) since Patrick replaced Raymond, and so my info may be out of date. I am thinking of trying them out again one of these days.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the fabrics selections of A-Man, Just ask, they have the swatch books, if you know exactly what you want, they can order it for you. If you already have the Crispaire, it is much cheaper you made it CMT. Crispaire is just GBP50/m if you order it directly from H&S. It make a 2 pcs suit totally about US$1,100.

mrmax

Reaction score
WWC are getting the Crispaire book for me, my appointment is tomorrow actually. They dont do CMT anymore, but I am set on making something with them - more so after seeing whoopee's great results.

I have no idea how much a 2-pc Crispaire will run, but I guess I'll find out tomorrow!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads