• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WW Chan's March Tour

James Douglas Collection

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
They are bespoke. You get a fitting-at least one.

Are the fittings all done by Chan? Who does the markings on the basted garments if they are not touring a certain area?

dbc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by James Douglas Collection
Are the fittings all done by Chan? Who does the markings on the basted garments if they are not touring a certain area?

There's no such person as Chan but I think you should be able to get Patrick.

lovelux2010

Reaction score
do any of you know if i could have a forward fitting when Patrick is on tour?

thanks

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lovelux2010
do any of you know if i could have a forward fitting when Patrick is on tour?

thanks

If you request one, yes.

HEPennypacker

Reaction score
Had a very pleasant experience yesterday at my first Chan fitting. I arrived about 15 minutes early and spent 30 minutes browsing through the fabrics. I eventually selected an 8.5-oz H&S navy herringbone for a sport coat and a medium grey 10 oz Minnis wool/cashmere (1%) for trousers. Since prices always come up, here are mine: Jacket came to $1225, trousers were $565, basted fitting $150. Total will be a bit under $2k, depending on the exchange rate. I should receive the basted garments some time in June.

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HEPennypacker
Had a very pleasant experience yesterday at my first Chan fitting. I arrived about 15 minutes early and spent 30 minutes browsing through the fabrics. I eventually selected an 8.5-oz H&S navy herringbone for a sport coat and a medium grey 10 oz Minnis wool/cashmere (1%) for trousers. Since prices always come up, here are mine: Jacket came to $1225, trousers were $565, basted fitting $150. Total will be a bit under $2k, depending on the exchange rate. I should receive the basted garments some time in June.
Must have just missed you! Six trousers for me; a charcoal grey and pearl grey Minnis fresco, a cream and light grey Holland & Sherry gabardine, and a mottled brown ("Dakota") Holland & Sherry cavalry twill. The damage was around $2,800 and the trousers should be ready by mid-June.

HitMan009

Reaction score
I picked up a suit using Zegna's Trofeo cloth. From my understanding it is hard wearing. I wanted to pick a cloth from an English firm but I just couldn't fine the right design. What and how does other feel about the Trofeo cloth. It felt very silky hand and fantastic bounce back from the crupple test.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HitMan009
I picked up a suit using Zegna's Trofeo cloth. From my understanding it is hard wearing. I wanted to pick a cloth from an English firm but I just couldn't fine the right design. What and how does other feel about the Trofeo cloth. It felt very silky hand and fantastic bounce back from the crupple test.

Trofeo is a very nice cloth-soft to the touch

hackensaw

Reaction score
I've just been quoted $1,984 USD for a bespoke suit from W.W. Chan made out of Zegna Trofeo fabric (in a plain gray color).

Has anybody else purchased a suit with this fabric recently from one of the top HK tailors and paid this amount?

I was expecting it to cost around $1,500 USD???

A follow-up question: Is it worth paying for the Zegna Trofeo fabric or are there other fabrics just as nice at a lower price point?

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I bought my first Chan suit a couple of months ago. I'm quite happy with the overall silhouette and fit. Button stance is fine, chest and shoulders are good. I'm only anticipating relatively minor changes on my next order - shortening the sleeves and pants, a couple of cosmetic changes.

Given that, do I need a basted fitting? What am I giving up if I don't have one?

HitMan009

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hackensaw
I've just been quoted $1,984 USD for a bespoke suit from W.W. Chan made out of Zegna Trofeo fabric (in a plain gray color).

Has anybody else purchased a suit with this fabric recently from one of the top HK tailors and paid this amount?

A follow-up question: Is it worth paying for the Zegna Trofeo fabric or are there other fabrics just as nice at a lower price point?

Hmm, during the tour, the Trofeo book I was looking at, it was $2,374 or something like that.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dbc
There's no such person as Chan but I think you should be able to get Patrick.

That would be news to W.W. Chan. Last I heard, he was still alive and well--in his 80s and retired.

His son still oversees the business, but Patrick Chu is the head cutter and general manager. He's your man! (And a very good man, too.)

tchoy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hackensaw

Zegna Trofeo is a nice cloth but you are paying premium for the Zegna name. There are a lot of other options for solid grays. If it is your suit go with a cheaper fabric, check out the VBC or Holland Sherry books. These will be in your price range.

hackensaw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tchoy
Zegna Trofeo is a nice cloth but you are paying premium for the Zegna name. There are a lot of other options for solid grays. If it is your suit go with a cheaper fabric, check out the VBC or Holland Sherry books. These will be in your price range.
tchoy - are the VBC and Holland Sherry fabrics the same quality as Zegna? I liked the feel of the Zegna but if I'm just paying a big premium because of the label that seems pointless especially since its a bespoke suit and not purchased at a "zegna" store.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imatlas
I bought my first Chan suit a couple of months ago. I'm quite happy with the overall silhouette and fit. Button stance is fine, chest and shoulders are good. I'm only anticipating relatively minor changes on my next order - shortening the sleeves and pants, a couple of cosmetic changes.

Given that, do I need a basted fitting? What am I giving up if I don't have one?

I think its always wise to have a fitting. One may have gain weight, some fabric may not tailor the same as the last one one had made.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads