• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WW Chan with your own material

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How much does Chan charge to make a suit if you supply your own material? I may have the opportunity to go to Hong Kong in spring, and if so am definately considering setting up appointments at Chan.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
HKD 4500 for a jacket, 1500 for trousers, 1600 for a vest. If you need the clothes shipped, that will cost about 10% extra, including duties.

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Whoopee. Any new news on your "tweed" odd jackets from Chan?

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
1. I have no experience, but using your own fabric is a good way to go with tailors from what I've seen.

2. Your Einstein quote is awesome.

3. Best of luck, Chan is pretty good.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
HKD 4500 for a jacket, 1500 for trousers, 1600 for a vest. If you need the clothes shipped, that will cost about 10% extra, including duties.

Are these prices the same on ordering tours? Around 600 for a jacket is very tempting...

Also, and I'm sure I can find this in the archives, but I'm curious about one thing. Is it possible to have them hold off on finishing the garment until after the next tour? I'd rather not have it sent entirely finished just based on the one visit.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
A good friend of mine in New York has a collection of cloth that rivals Tip Top's. He gets most of his suits in the city or in London. But certain things like Shetlands that won't last too long, he gives to Chan. $500 CMT, no fitting. The results are really excellent, given the price and the circumstances. It won't satisfy a true obsessive, but still ...

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know what the prices are like on the tour. I seem to recall Patrick saying that the prices would include shipping and duties if ordered there, so I'd expect them to be a bit higher than the prices I quoted, which are valid if ordered in HK.

I remember reading that they can give you a fitting if you really want. If they decline to carry it along with them, they could probably mail it to you in a baste or forward state and ask you to bring it when you see them. This would probably tack on $100 or so to the cost of the suit but well worth it IMO.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
A good friend of mine in New York has a collection of cloth that rivals Tip Top's.
FNB right?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jacket only. A suit is about $150 more. And m@t was joking about FNB.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Who else here has had a Chan sportcoat made? I think I'm going to order a blazer. I must say, though, I've seen some very mixed results posted here. A fair amount of that could be on the customer's back, but certainly not all of it.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Who else here has had a Chan sportcoat made? I think I'm going to order a blazer. I must say, though, I've seen some very mixed results posted here. A fair amount of that could be on the customer's back, but certainly not all of it.
Had a blazer made earlier this year: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...highlight=Chan I know Jan Libourel also has a Chan blazer (the elusive green), and I believe he's commissioned other sport coats.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123

I just received my second garment from Chan, a sportscoat. I asked for a Brioni silhouette and I think they nailed both fit and silhouette (gorge is perhaps a little lower than Brioni). I am very pleased with everything except the ugly lining, but that was my choice. I'll try to find a digital camera and post pictures in a separate thread, although it may not happen for several weeks.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ooh, I would certainly like to see that photo. Aside from whoopee's commissions which were certainly impressive, I've not seen pictures of any of Chan's work that was not done in a variation of their house style.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads