• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WW Chan Shirt Collar Question

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any of you who have ordered shirts from WW Chan please help me out here.

I received my sample shirt. The fit was very good (they measured me in SF) but the collar is especially stiff. It seems fused or glued. I asked for collars and cuffs to be as soft as possible. The fabric is an end-on-end.

Is this their standard collar treatment? Will it soften with washing?

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy

I received my sample shirt. The fit was very good (they measured me in SF) but the collar is especially stiff. It seems fused or glued. I asked for collars and cuffs to be as soft as possible. The fabric is an end-on-end.

My shirt collars were stiff when I received them but softened a bit after several washes.

I ordered my Chan shirts while I was in Shanghai and pickedthem up in HK if that makes any difference.

krakatoa

Reaction score
I've ordered about 15 shirts from Chan, but all of them within the past year. The collars are stiff.

fox81

Reaction score
i believe they have a softer interlining option. be sure to ask

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I can't speak for Chan, but fused collars do not soften very much. Besides end on end is
not inherently a heavy fabric.

Dib

Reaction score

I ordered a few shirts from them a few years ago and at that point they told me that they only offered fused collars. They were very stiff and haven't softened with time.

I understand they now offer a non-fused option and although I haven't tried these from them yet, they should be softer than the fused option and soften with time.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
i don't know about Chan. but there are soft fusables.
the shirtmaker also has to use soft collar band lining as well.
cuffs should also match collar is stiffness.

sounds like the salesmen forgot to make note of your request

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I emailed Chan and got an immediate reply. They said the request had not been noted and to please return the shirt and they will replace the collar with a soft one.

I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks all for your input.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I emailed Chan and got an immediate reply. They said the request had not been noted and to please return the shirt and they will replace the collar with a soft one.

I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks all for your input.

That's customer service!

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
That's customer service!

You are right. Communications have been excellent and there were "no excuses" in the reply. I'm impressed. And, I continue to be impressed by the work WW Chan does on suits and jackets. Very good looking and the pricing is quite fair.

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by comrade
I can't speak for Chan, but fused collars do not soften very much. Besides end on end is
not inherently a heavy fabric.

The point of fusing a collar is to make it stiffer! Some places have a surcharge for that request.

wmb

Reaction score
I request a non fused collar and cuffs. The shirts are initially a bit stiff but soften after a couple of washes.

Last visit they said they are charging an extra $20US per shirt for non fused going forward.

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
No.

- B

The idiocy on this forum from people that have no connection to the industry is really getting on my nerves, as well as those in the industry that view this forum just for laughs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads