• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WW Chan - Shanghai or Hong Kong?

FCS

Reaction score
Hello folks, I'll be travelling to HK and China for vacation in late May - mid Jun. My stay in Shanghai will most probably be longer than that in HK, and I definitely would like to order from WW Chan. Now is there significant quality difference in the Chan shops in HK and Shanghai? How about the prices? Has anyone ever tried both locations? I noticed as well that they have three locations in Shanghai and wondering which one would be the best to visit.

On a separate note, is there anyone here working in / dealing with the financial industry in HK? Could I ask your advice on job hunting there? I've provided some more details on this post here (please kindly post any reply there or message me).
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...565#post153565

Thanks and best regards,
Ferry

vc2000

Reaction score
I have used Chan in HK and Shanghai.

There wasn't a cost difference for me. (No savings in Shanghai) I had contact with the HK office first and they had contact with Shanghai regarding my orders. I wanted to tweak my shoulder to a softer more natural version. So it is possible that there might be a price difference if you walked in off the street as a new customer. Perhaps others can address this?

I only recall two locations in Shanghai. Perhaps they I missed one or they added another. As I recall the location at the Hilton had less space. Ask them they will gladly advise you if you are looking for something in particular. The shops in HK has the women's divided out, in China the silk tended to blur with the men's fabrics. I got some great pj's and robes out of the it though. There were some fabric selection differences. HK tended to be more Western/English styled.

I can't say that I experienced a different suit at one location or another. Both were excellent for the price.

In regards to your job search. I work in the financial field (VC). A recent joke is that the lobby of the Four Seasons in Shanghain might as well be Buck's in SV. China is hopping with activity as is India.

Do you have a CFA? If you are attempting to get a position without language skills they will want you to have credentials. HK is such an expensive place to put an expat. It will be difficult to get a non local firm to place you. Use any connections you have to get introductions to local firms. Perhaps from school?

FCS

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, VC. If there's no cost savings from ordering in Shanghai, then I guess it would be better to have the suits made in the HK flagship shop. Does anyone here ever got cheaper prices with Chan shop in Shanghai?

Would three days be enough time to have two suits and probably a few shirts made in HK? I could probably come back at the end of my trip to pick them up. Also, do they carry H. Lesser, in particular their heavier fabrics, or heavy clothes (14oz at least) in general?

Btw, VC, I passed all three CFA exams but at that time I didn't have enough years of experience to qualify for the charter. By this time I should have enough to qualify though. I'm not looking for expat-level compensation / perks if that makes any difference. Do you happen to know how the private equity market is out there? Also, how significant is the disandvantage for not speaking the language?

FCS

Reaction score
Also, does anyone know what the turnaround time is to have custom-made shoes with Kow Hoo? How's the quality nowadays? Last time I heard about them was from MPS, a member that we haven't heard from for quite a while.

My View2

Reaction score
FCS> I am in Shanghai right now and just placed the first suit order (VBC Revenge 130s) with WW Chan in Shanghai (the branch in The Hilton; they have 2 other branches here). The prices are about 26% cheaper than their equivalent in their Hong Kong main shop, where I had a few suits made.

The suit will be ready for my first fitting in about 2 weeks' time but unfortunately, I may not be here till May/June.

When I finally take delivery, I will let you know how it turns out (as compared to those I got from Hong Kong).

BlvdDandy

Reaction score
When I was in Shanghai I had a suit made at the Hilton location. I can't compare it to HK because I wasn't there, but it was significantly cheaper than any price I've ever heard quoted on these boards (I got a VBC 130 as well). It's my understanding, however, that after they measure you etc. they send everything to HK for the actual tailoring.

FCS

Reaction score
My View and Blvd, great to hear of the better prices. What is the fastest turnover that they can do for, say, for two suits? I think I'll be staying in Shanghai for about 8 days. Would that be enough time by any chance? I've heard that Chan can do suits within a few days. Don't think they can do this if the Shanghai shop is sending the works to HK though. My View, is this the case with your order?

Also, do you guys have any recommendation of someone that I can talk to - both in Shanghai and HK locations? I'd like to contact them first before my arrival.

My View2

Reaction score
FCS> In the HK shop, I deal mainly with Patrick Chu, who is no stranger to my people on this board because he is the one who goes to USA to measure people up for their MTM program. I do not know the name of the guys I dealt with in the Shanghai (Hilton) shop.

According to people in the Shanghai (Hilton) shop, the suits ordered from Shanghai are made there and not in HK (makes sense - otherwise it doesn't make economics sense to charge less for the same suits in Shanghai if they are to be sent back to HK to be made).

Also according to the Shanghai shop (on another occasion 3 weeks ago, in the branch in Maoming Road), a suit can be ordered, fittings done and collected in about 6 working days.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by My View2
FCS> In the HK shop, I deal mainly with Patrick Chu, who is no stranger to my people on this board because he is the one who goes to USA to measure people up for their MTM program. I do not know the name of the guys I dealt with in the Shanghai (Hilton) shop.

According to people in the Shanghai (Hilton) shop, the suits ordered from Shanghai are made there and not in HK (makes sense - otherwise it doesn't make economics sense to charge less for the same suits in Shanghai if they are to be sent back to HK to be made).

Also according to the Shanghai shop (on another occasion 3 weeks ago, in the branch in Maoming Road), a suit can be ordered, fittings done and collected in about 6 working days.

Actually, Arnold Wong is the sales manager in the Hong Kong shop. He might be better to communicate with before hand. Based on our e-mail correspondence, I have the sense his English may be a bit more fluent than Patrick's although the latter certainly has a good working command of English. Of course, if you are fluent in Chinese, this immaterial.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is very valuable information for me as I will be in both cities later this month.
Originally Posted by My View2
If this is true then how does the quality of the workmanship compare?

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As m@t pointed out, one's proficiency in Cantonese vs Mandarin may be important to consider. For that reason, the lower cost and the fact that I will have more time in SH than HK, I will most likely go to a Shanghai location. Which one is the best? A few of you have gone to the Hilton location. May I ask why you chose that one?

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Actually, Arnold Wong is the sales manager in the Hong Kong shop. He might be better to communicate with before hand. Based on our e-mail correspondence, I have the sense his English may be a bit more fluent than Patrick's although the latter certainly has a good working command of English.

Agreed. I'm in the process of commissioning a blazer from Chan, using my measurements on file and fabric samples sent to me in in the mail. I've been communicating with Mr. Wong via e-mail, and his written English is beyond reproach.

timekeeping

Reaction score
I went to WW Chan in Shanghai (the Mao Ming store) earlier today. Teddy and Peter Chan are both very knowledgable, treated me extremely well and I highly recommended them. They are also fluent in English, Mandarin and Cantonese along with some Shanghainese.

They currently has some real good prices with certain Zegna Trofeo fabrics (mostly solids, grey, shades of navy and black) for under $8k RMB. That works out to be less than US$1k. It costs a fair bit more than that in HK (sorry Patrick).

Make your appointment with Chan in Shanghai now as they are almost always busy.

Not sure how much difference there are with the craftsmenship but I've been told the old cutter from Chan in HK has moved to Shanghai. Also, that Kilgours has workshops in Shanghai which may go to show Shanghainese worksmanship is alive and well.

FCS

Reaction score
Originally Posted by timekeeping
Not sure how much difference there are with the craftsmenship but I've been told the old cutter from Chan in HK has moved to Shanghai. Also, that Kilgours has workshops in Shanghai which may go to show Shanghainese worksmanship is alive and well.

Great to hear this. Shanghai's tailoring was supposed to be top of the notch during the 'colonial' era. I remember also that a proprietor of a clothing store posted here that he was looking into Chinese-made shirts that could equal Borrelli in quality.

Do they have the same fabric selections as the HK shop?

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Peter at the store on Maoming Lu in Shanghai says a portion of the mail order orders are already being handled in Shanghai, so they must believe that the quality is comparable enough to stake their mail order reputation on it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads