1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

WW Chan in NYC and Boston

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by johnnynorman3, Jul 11, 2005.

1. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Distinguished Member

Simple question, I guess. I'd like to hear what people ordered and/or thought of the process. I saw them today in NYC and ordered two shirts from what I'm pretty sure was the Thomas Mason Goldline book (red binder with gold writing on it). I didn't peruse the suiting fabrics at all since I was in a rush. It seemed like they had a lot of junk on hand, though, mixed in with some good swatch books, which would have made it difficult for a novice.

2. dah328

dah328 Distinguished Member

I'm going tomorrow although it's only to get some alterations done on my last two orders. What kind of fabrics did they have that you consider junk?

dan

3. johnnynorman3

They had a bunch of no name fabrics, shirting and suiting alike. Just labeled "100% 2/100 Egyption Cotton" and I saw some woolens of Asian origin. The cottons didn't feel that great and the woolens just weren't displayed very well.

I did notice that they had some Dormeuil and other English makers for very reasonable prices (less than $1000 for Dormeuil 120s and 130s, for example; I think they had a book of Scabal as well). Not a great selection of English fabrics, but enough that you could find something you'll really like.

Could you ask whether the Red Book Thomas Mason fabrics are from the Gold Line? I'm assuming they must be.

If anything, the view from their room is worth the trip.

4. dah328

I'll ask about the Mason fabrics tomorrow. Â I'm not a big fan of the LP 120s that are on special this time, but that's because I have a suit made in it from two trips ago and I've seen it wear over the last six months or so. Â My problem is that I still can't identify a good fabric from a swatch. Â [​IMG]

5. bry2000

bry2000 Distinguished Member

What is the special this time around? cloth? price?

6. zjpj83

zjpj83 Distinguished Member

I'm probably going to get shirts and a sport jacket this trip.

7. johnnynorman3

Yeah, it's tough to identify good fabrics from a swatch because it's tough to see how it will hold shape, wear, etc.

The best thing to do is to go on reputation -- the rep. on this board, that is.

8. dah328

Loro Piana 120s.  Don't remember the price off the top of my head.  I get lots of compliments on the fabric.  I just don't think it's that durable.

dan

9. bry2000

bry2000 Distinguished Member

Thanks. I cannot get comfortable ordering a suit from Chan without the full suite of fittings.

10. JLibourel

JLibourel Distinguished Member

I'm planning to order a fall/winter weight sport coat in tweed or other suitable fabric. Was there much of that sort on display? I would not be averse to using an Asian fabric if the quality is decent and it keeps the price down. Has anybody check out their fabric samples for such garments?

11. zjpj83

zjpj83 Distinguished Member

They had Scabal cashmere/lambswool (???)
    I just ordered a jacket in this fabric, dark blue with some kind of windowpane thing going on. It should be nice.

I got some shirts too.