• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WW Chan - Formal Wear with pictures

IronRock

Reaction score
There is a huge amount of info on this site about Chan suits/jackets/style etc etc. I thought I'd add my very happy experience of having a morning coat made.

When I asked for the commission I was slightly nervous that they might not have had many orders for something like a formal morning coat for sometime and may not have the experience in making one. How wrong I was - the gleam in Patrick's eye was enough to convince me! He told me it would take a bit longer than usual to make up because (and I think I remember this correctly) he only had one tailor familiar with the process.

Anyway, to cut a long story short I was thrilled, didn't have much time after the final fitting to make last minute adjustments but I will be having the sleeves shortened and in the future I will probably wear a single breasted waistcoat or one similar to the the one in the following link. There is a picture here (under the overcoats section) on their website:

http://www.wwchan.com/fx/AccHouseSty...electedIndex=3

And here are a few pictures of me (dancing, erm... badly) and of course my wife!

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice. Clearer pictures would be better for appreciating the details.

IronRock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chips
Very nice. Clearer pictures would be better for appreciating the details.

I'll take some detailed shots when I get home later.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Very nice. Do you have any other occasions that you think you will wear it to?

IronRock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maccimus
Cong!
But aint the pants too long?

Trousers probably are a bit long, sadly after all the other wedding expenses I couldn't stretch to bespoke trousers too, these ones are from David Saxby in London - had them for ages.

Originally Posted by Kent Wang
Very nice. Do you have any other occasions that you think you will wear it to?

I am at that very happy time of life when all my friends seem to be getting married, already worn it once since my own wedding and I have another coming up at the end of October - hopefully next year I will have many more opportunities! I have never been to a wedding where the majority of people were not wearing morning coats so should have a good few more years of use in it yet.

ginlimetonic

Reaction score

IronRock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ginlimetonic
DID YOU GET MARRIED AT A CEMETARY??!!!

facepalm.gif
It's a church. people get buried there - and married, and christened.........

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IronRock
I am at that very happy time of life when all my friends seem to be getting married, already worn it once since my own wedding and I have another coming up at the end of October - hopefully next year I will have many more opportunities! I have never been to a wedding where the majority of people were not wearing morning coats so should have a good few more years of use in it yet.
Ah, you don't live in the US I gather. Could you wear it to funerals? Might I ask how much it cost? For me it would be very rare occasion, or possibly single use, so it may be wiser to go with a cheaper tailor.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congratulations! I can feel the smiles even under the blacked out faces.

The coat looks great! Glad to see Patrick/Chan rose to the occasion.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks good. I like that you have a single flower boutonnière. I can't stand it when wedding parties have half a bouquet on their lapel, then it's so large it won't fit through the hole so it has to be pinned on and you can see its entire length. That always looks so cheap.

Originally Posted by ginlimetonic
DID YOU GET MARRIED AT A CEMETARY??!!!

facepalm.gif

blackbowtie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by IronRock
I have never been to a wedding where the majority of people were not wearing morning coats so should have a good few more years of use in it yet.

I wish I could say the same. At this stage in my life, the only opportunity I can conceive of ever wearing a morning coat is at my own wedding. Beyond that--zilch.

IronRock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
Ah, you don't live in the US I gather.

Could you wear it to funerals?

Might I ask how much it cost? For me it would be very rare occasion, or possibly single use, so it may be wiser to go with a cheaper tailor.

No I'm British.

Probably would not wear it to a funeral but I suppose someone important enough to go to a state funeral might?

It was abt USD1400, but don't quote me on that - I can't actually remember and now I can't find the invoice. Frankly I like to forget abt how much I spend on clothes.

A few more detailed shots as promised - sorry abt quality:

5077305430_13564736b0.jpg
[/IMG]

5077304986_cbff39533b.jpg
[/IMG]

5076710447_d04065845c.jpg
[/IMG]

5076707959_3580c37772.jpg
[/IMG]

5077301548_cbd16728f8.jpg
[/IMG]

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics