• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WW Chan coat fit -- comments needed. Concerns

bboysdontcryy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So, having heard about WW Chan, I decided to pay them a visit. Had a coat cut from H Lesser's 8-9 oz fabric.

Here's the final product. Please do offer some critique/comments on the coat and tell me if it's just me, or whether the coat can be cut better, given the piling/creases on the back, just beneath the collar.

In addition, what do you guys think of the sleeve pitch? On my hanger, whilst one sleeve hangs neatly, the other has a curve forward, and no surprises for guessing which sleeve it is - the left sleeve.

I wasn't expecting this with a bespoke coat, but should I temper my expectations or are these really fundamental concerns that should be addressed?

Comments appreciated.

*To give them credit when it's due, the front looks pretty good.

Last edited:

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are we looking at the same picture? I don't see a terrible excess of fabric on the back.

Impossible to tell of sleeve pitch with a picture like this.

chocsosa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what it seems, its a little tight in the back. From my experience they can let out some in the back seem near the neck area or raise the collar..I think they just need to let it out a little bit in the upper part near the collar and you should be ok. As for the sleeve pitch, its a usual issue for any RTW or custom without any fittings.. they make the sleeves usually at a 90 degree angle where your arms probably dont hang that way. Its causes the creasing in the sleeves in the back. A skilled tailor would need to take off the sleeves and rotate them to the normal angle of how yours arms hang. Easier on a fused suit but harder on a canvassed jacket...

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Strangely the Iris coat seems to be pulling slightly at the vent. If you are unhappy go back, explain your concerns, it is a little strange but a tailor is better placed to comment. Chan is not averse to discussions. Wear the Iris coat to go if you are happy with that.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Your Chan certainly needs to be fixed, and its a common-enough problem that they should be able to rectify it easily.

Not sure why some are saying that 'its not a big deal' or 'a little strange' - this is a VERY common issue that comes up during fittings. Chan doesn't offer one, so its not surprising that this wasn't caught.

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Your Chan certainly needs to be fixed, and its a common-enough problem that they should be able to rectify it easily.

Not sure why some are saying that 'its not a big deal' or 'a little strange' - this is a VERY common issue that comes up during fittings. Chan doesn't offer one, so its not surprising that this wasn't caught.

Since when has Chan not offered fittings? On anything I have had made in HK, two fittings were normal. I agree that items bought from tours do not normally go through fittings because of the time problem.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^ I thought the OP was in S'pore so presumed he opted for their traveling (i.e. no fitting) service. Regardless, this is a common problem (not a 'little strange' or 'not a big deal') and should be fixed by the tailor.

marburymadison

Reaction score
Frankly, I think any self-respecting tailor wouldn't let his customer walk out of his shop clad in a jacket that fits like that. Those creases beneath the collar should be straightened out. That goes without saying.

I've been to tailors in HK, A Man Hing Cheong being one of the few I've patronized, and never encountered such a problem.

OP, speak with Patrick or whoever was in charge of your fittings and let us know how it turns out.

bboysdontcryy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm actually working in DC, and understand it's typical that Chan doesn't offer fittings for suits whilst they're on tour.

However, I made a trip to HK so I was fitted there. I'm guessing that these 'common problems' should have been caught, and rectified, during the fittings then?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads