1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

WW Chan, Basic Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by lsquare, Apr 7, 2007.

1. OyezDC

OyezDC Well-Known Member

Wow - I paid $1430 for a Minnis flannel just last year...

2. apropos

apropos Senior member

3. lovelux2010

lovelux2010 Senior member

hmmm..
    the prices were all on the books and arnold told me prices were non-negotiable. so either prices went up dramatically or i'm overpaying.

4. lovelux2010

care to share whats so funny?

5. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Yes, the prices have gone up dramatically. This has been commented on in several threads on Chan.

6. comrade

comrade Senior member

Interesting... The Dollar/Sterling exchange rate for the fabric is virtually the same year over year.
    Maybe it's the cost of labor in Hong Kong.

7. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

I think it is, in part, but a larger part is increased cost of materials at the source, exchange rate aside.

8. apropos

apropos Senior member

There is no way the labour is being paid 200% what they were paid 5-6 years ago. Ditto for fabric costs. And even if you take both into account, it doesn't explain the cost going up 30% in just one year.

I'd call it what it is - cashing in.

AFAIK the primary appeal of Chan is their price/quality ratio; am not sure why they are working assiduously to slay this golden goose.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  9. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

In making a cost/benefit analysis you also need to add $200 for shipping charges, assuming you wanted a basted and forward fitting.

10. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

They ship to you before coming for the fittings or?

11. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

Yes, they ship it to you and you bring it with you when you meet.

12. sellahi22

sellahi22 Senior member

I think that if you want fittings, especially more than one, Mina at NSM is a better option than Chan. Her approach is very much oriented toward fitting/shaping the garment at the basting stage. Patrick Chu is more focused on refining the paper pattern, and seems to view fittings as alterations that wouldn't be necessary if the pattern is correct and the fabric is cut properly.

13. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

Though MIna is more than $2k for labor alone.

14. sellahi22

sellahi22 Senior member

True, but if you want 2 fittings from Chan it would be an extra $400, and about 10 months of wait.

It's not a bad idea to get fittings on your first suit from Chan, but frankly it gets a bit inconvenient to do the full fitting process on each suit. Especially since they seem to prefer not to do fittings on tour - as evidenced by reports that they take 4 months just to deliver the basted garment, when I've gotten all my clothes from them within 2-3 months from order (no fittings).

All that said, I've been very impressed by the evolution of my Chan pattern - both the quality of the pattern itself and their ability to execute on it consistently for new jackets. I'm in the process of trying Mina now, just out of curiosity, but frankly I'm very happy with the Chan's quality and service.

15. lovelux2010

i did check in with ww chan..
    i should have noted i am getting a thick minis flannel (different minis pricing dependent upon cloth weight)..

anyways, i have no doubt prices have increased sharply at chan, as prices seem to be increasing amongst most products i enjoy - its the way things are going. i personally think its better to purchase now the products you enjoy (bespoke suits, shirts, shoes, ties, etc) as i predict steep price increases will continue, if not accelerate over the coming years (wool/cotton prices, demand for goods from china and other nations, cost of labour, less and less good tailors around). i imagine price increases across the wine, "designer goods" especially brands like chanel, lv, etc who do not increase quality but hike prices due to demand and to keep some level of exclusivity...

i hope i'm wrong

16. unbelragazzo

Just had my first meeting with them, they were great, took a lot of measurements etc - hopefully things turn out right!

17. hangthree

hangthree Senior member

Must have just missed you. You'll be in good hands with Patrick. I ordered a suit back in July and did 2x fittings in HK in Sept. No adjustments need for my 2nd suit -- a dark grey solid from Harrisons Frontier book. Same prices as the July 2011 tour. Also ordered a light blue shirt....

18. OyezDC

OyezDC Well-Known Member

Saw Chan yesterday -- yep, the same Minnis flannel two-piece (0301) I got for $1430 last year is now $1851. Patrick and I didn't talk about the price increase, but it appears they are getting as much work as they can handle, and feel they have room to keep pushing through price increases.

19. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

That's about 30% in year. :plain:

20. unbelragazzo

Yes, and they're still busy, so...apparently they can do that. I'm continually baffled by people assuming that vendors must adhere to some principle of fairness in offering prices that are lower than what the market will pay. If people will pay them 30% more, then they should raise prices 30%. You're expecting them to turn down money out of charity for their customers?