• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WW Chan, Basic Questions

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
And you have to pay shipping both ways for the suit.

Which is cheaper than a night in a hotel in Hong Kong...

...the best approach is probably to have the first suit and shirt made in HK and then order on tour once the paper pattern is good.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlexE
Which is cheaper than a night in a hotel in Hong Kong...

...the best approach is probably to have the first suit and shirt made in HK and then order on tour once the paper pattern is good.

Not if he wants 3 fittings.

Yes, its best to have the first suit made while you're in HK so they can tweak your fit.

emptym

Reaction score
^That's what I did and I've been very happy with the results.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vinveritas
Am curious if there is a sacrifice in the quality of the workmanship and final product if the Chan suit is made in five days as opposed to the suit not being rushed for completion in that period? Thanks

IME they start working on the suit a few (more like 2) days before the appointment, even if you give them 1-2 months between measurement and fitting.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really strange - always thought it would take about 10 days for a suit to be made, but The Armoury is quoting 6 months...
eh.gif

Artking3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
Really strange - always thought it would take about 10 days for a suit to be made, but The Armoury is quoting 6 months...
eh.gif

It probably gives them enough leeway if they're backlogged. Another reason is expectations. If you get your suit 3 months earlier than their quoted 6 months, you would be much happier than if they quoted you 10 days and take 1 month to get the suit to you.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When will they schedule the first fitting ?

Annadale

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlexE
When I was there in 2010 it took one week:

Day 1: Selection of fabric/style/details and taking of measurements
Day 2-4: I went to Macao. Else the first fitting could have been done earlier
Day 5: Basted fitting
Day 6: Next fitting
Day 7: Final fitting and pick-up

I'd only have them one suit and one shirt made. If you need some adjustments they can optimize the paper pattern and once they have this locked-in it is easy to order additional suits and shirts via phone or email (as long as your body shape does not change). So when allocating travel cost you should not only consider the item you purchase during this trip, but also your follow-on purchases.

Took them four fittings to nail mine down. At the third fitting, I flew home, wore it once for approx. five hours and found the trousers kept slipping down. Flew back to China, took it back, and an older gentleman in the shop tut-tutted, and proceeded to mark down both the jacket and trews. I collected the re-worked suit the following week, and can safely say it is the best fitting suit in my wardrobe. I am very happy with it. All the previous fittings had been by Patrick, I do not know who the older gentleman was (Patrick was on a trip to the States), but he certainly had authority, as all the young bucks in the shop were jumping to his every word.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lovelux2010
sorry to revive a very old post, but this is exactly what i was curious about..

how long in HK do i need for some ww chan suits with proper fittings (all fittings and dont want to rush work and compromise end product). i'm thinking to go to see chan but want to work out a budget (hotels/flights/food) for the time i'll be there to see how many suits/shirts needed to make this a worthwhile trip. i know i can email chan, but i'd rather have the opinion of some forumites who have done the trip

for my next suits debating between graham browne london or a chan trip, so just trying to figure out how much proper chan trip will cost! without crunching numbers i'm guessing a week trip would cost around 1k GBP (flights from london, transfers, hotels, food, entertainment), so i'm thinking 2-3 suits + shirts and this trip starts to make more financial sense..? also have to take the business days off work as no excuse to be in HK unfortunately

If you're somewhere near London, are you aware that Chan visits London? In fact, they are there this Sunday (July 3) and Monday (July 4). If you are interested, you can get the particulars about the hotel on Chan's website and call Patrick Chu early Sunday to see if he can fit you in. Be sure to ask for "Patrick Chu," NOT W.W. Chan.

Tom21

Reaction score
Placed an order while ww chan were on their London trip. Was told FOUR MONTHS for delivery - No fittings.

Are you lower down the priority if we order while they are on their trips? Because it seems buying from them in HK is a matter of weeks for delivery.

lovelux2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
If you're somewhere near London, are you aware that Chan visits London? In fact, they are there this Sunday (July 3) and Monday (July 4). If you are interested, you can get the particulars about the hotel on Chan's website and call Patrick Chu early Sunday to see if he can fit you in. Be sure to ask for "Patrick Chu," NOT W.W. Chan.

hey..thanks..i am aware Patrick is in London but I am overseas...so bad timing for me!

WallaWalla

Reaction score
Anyone make it to any Chan fittings so far in the U.S. July tour?

I'm a Chan virgin, and admittedly inexperienced in the style realm; although I do have two very nice Bespoke suits made here locally in DC. Field's, my local choice, prices have risen close to $3,000, so I am contemplating the traveling tailor route but am concerned about the months of waiting.

For my first Chan suit, I'm somewhat risk adverse. Can anyone recommend some value fabrics available on Chan's current tour with versatility for DC's climate? Suits are not daily attire for me, so I would like something I could wear to more formal events/nights out possibly in a darker gray or black.

Are suits using VBC fabrics still priced at $1,300? Would a H&S be a better choice, at what price point?

Is a basted fitting worth it? How does it work? Chan mails the suit to the buyer? Then how are adjustments to the basted garment made? How does this affect timing? It looks like without the basted fitting, turn around is already at 4 months?

Finally, does anyone have price points on trousers?

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WallaWalla

I'm a Chan virgin, and admittedly inexperienced in the style realm; although I do have two very nice Bespoke suits made here locally in DC. Field's, my local choice, prices have risen close to $3,000, so I am contemplating the traveling tailor route but am concerned about the months of waiting.

For my first Chan suit, I'm somewhat risk adverse. Can anyone recommend some value fabrics available on Chan's current tour with versatility for DC's climate? Suits are not daily attire for me, so I would like something I could wear to more formal events/nights out possibly in a darker gray or black.

Are suits using VBC fabrics still priced at $1,300? Would a H&S be a better choice, at what price point?

Is a basted fitting worth it? How does it work? Chan mails the suit to the buyer? Then how are adjustments to the basted garment made? How does this affect timing? It looks like without the basted fitting, turn around is already at 4 months?

Can't answer all of your questions, but I gather that most people recommend that a first-time customer should request the basted fitting. However, there are additonal shipping costs involved, that is the cost to ship it to you (and bring it with you to a fitting) and the return ship.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WallaWalla

My advice as a veteran Chan customer would be to get your first suit with a VBC fabric, either the 110 or the slightly more expensive 130. I have never had a basted fitting with Chan and have never regretted this. If your experience is like mine, the VBC suit will be a good-fitting suit, but probably not as good as subsequent orders after Patrick has had a chance to "nail" the pattern. My educated guess is that most H&S fabrics would set you back about $250 to $300 more at minimum. There is quite a price variation among H&S fabrics, so the difference could be appreciably higher.

I would estimate that the starting point for trousers would start no lower than $425 or thereabouts these days.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads