• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WTF Mr Porter?

mockingboy

Reaction score
Was perusing the casual shirts section of mr Porter and came upon the Derelict campaign in modern form. This is heinous and absurd. Thoughts? The price is outrageous

Attachments

• 308613E8-433B-47FD-A6B1-1F13D8E458AC.jpeg
    308613E8-433B-47FD-A6B1-1F13D8E458AC.jpeg
    77.9 KB · Views: 89

winston86dit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like Greg Lauren. The price is crazy but most fashion is.

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am a big fan of Greg Lauren’s clothing line. The piece the OP references may not be my favorite, but the stuff is incredible for the most part. Excellent make and crazy detailing. Prices are high, but so it is for most designers.

I have a few pieces from GL. I love them even if they are less versatile.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, what would be a "fair" price? Someone out there who appreciates his design is willing to pay that, hence the price.

Snoopy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you rich and miserable got money to burn and you into big name brands then yeah. It's not that hideous.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this guy made this exact post about common projects.

Agree People try and save 20-40 bucks buying luxury sneakers cheap from sketchy sources and then complain/get paranoid if they are fake or not lol. 1. Buy from authorized retailers 2. If you buy from unauthorized sources no one knows they are fake on the street anyways

you realize most people out there think youre crazy for buying $300 plain white sneakers, right? Its all relative.

mockingboy

Reaction score
Except atleast CPs actually look good.

Also, not sure how me talking about people buying fake sneakers has to do with this? Doesn’t really seem relevant but anyways...

This looks like it was sewn together as a 3rd grade project.

this guy made this exact post about common projects.

you realize most people out there think youre crazy for buying $300 plain white sneakers, right? Its all relative.

Nyarlathotep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, personally I also think it looks dreadful but how is that Monsieur Porter's fault?

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Except atleast CPs actually look good.

Also, not sure how me talking about people buying fake sneakers has to do with this? Doesn’t really seem relevant but anyways...

maybe you're just a plebe with bad taste? I'm sure there are people out there whos $900 is your $300.

mockingboy

Reaction score
Your comparison still makes no sense even if I was a plebe

What’s even more funny is you trolling me after making a similar post a few days ago. Get a life loser

maybe you're just a plebe with bad taste? I'm sure there are people out there whos $900 is your $300.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go check out greglaurens stuff. A lot of his pieces may be extreme to you, but its unique and im sure in person the craftsmanship is up to par. My point is there are is quite a variance in prices in fashion for a reason. There are different aesthetics that cater to different people at different price points. His stuff is unique and seemingly high quality, hence the price. Albeit definitely out of my range as well. I think a whole thread on your shock that people wear different things means your priorities are misplaced as well.

My post about Ann has to do with how her clothing has bad design now compared to her better years. I think you are not able to accurately pinpoint whats good. Thats why you stay where its safe, "white sneakers guud."

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Actually, the work that goes into Greg Lauren's line is pretty incredible. A few years ago, I met one of the people on his team. He doesn't just hire normal fashion sewers and production people; he hires people in the special effects industry. The guy I met worked on the special effects team for a bunch of big name horror films and he was hired to employ many of those same techniques. There's a ton of waste that goes into the production because so much of what they do gets thrown away. They're basically handmaking each of those pieces to get them to look like the sort of thing someone might wear on a movie set.

I mean, it's fine if it's not your aesthetic. Complaining about prices is about the most boring comment anyone can make in fashion. But saying it was "sewn together as a 3rd grade project" simply isn't true.

Snoopy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen users on this forum buy the ugliest **** that mankind can buy with money to burn. So this shirt at that price accepted here does not surprise me.

I guess I'm not highly into fashion I'm more conservative. I admit I find the shirt cool looking but not cool enough to down a "G$" for it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads