1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Wtf is with the name "acne" jeans.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Smooth Genes, Oct 20, 2006.

1. minya

minya Senior member

Acne jeans actually had some really high return rates because of quality issues, but this has supposedly improved.
    According to whom?

In any case, I wouldn't buy or wear a pair of raw/dry Acne jeans. Their strength lies in their washed/distressed jeans, which are some of the best in the biz.

2. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Senior member

According to whom?

In any case, I wouldn't buy or wear a pair of raw/dry Acne jeans. Their strength lies in their washed/distressed jeans, which are some of the best in the biz.

+1

I wrote a really involved post saying basically what you said, and then my browser crashed, which was probably for the better since the post was long and meandering and boring.

Like I said before, I always dig your posts/advice, LA Guy, but this is the one issue on which I really disagree with you; "absolute crap" is a bit much.

I also break with most SFers on the Nudie thing; not saying they're bad jeans or anything, but I'd gladly take a pair of understated, well-cut, lightly distressed Acnes over a pair of RRDS with the "hey, check out my Nudies!" stitiching. Just me. [​IMG]

3. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Senior member

OTOH, I was actually thinking of giving up on Acne (it's not like I buy tons of their stuff anyway) because they were referenced in an article in the most unhip major media outlet in the country, aka the Washington Post (although hilariously mis-identified as "Acme").

I know, I know, we care about look and quality, not brand image, blah blah blah, but there comes a time...

4. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Senior member

P.S. They were name-dropped as a "hip brand" alongside TR and CFH in an article on "mom jeans" - wrong on so many levels.

Edit: What the hell has this forum done to me? I'm reading articles on mom jeans, for f***s sake...

Edit: And posting about them while watching football...

Edit: BTW, is it wrong that I was a little turned on by that article?

5. Stylez

Stylez Well-Known Member

Acne jeans seem to be on par with the new PDC, which I think is pretty damn lame. I'd take one pair of Earnest Sewns over 5 pairs of Acne's anyday.

And how the fuck can you compare a prewashed denim brand like Acne with Nudie? The Nudie market is raw denim. Dont ever compare raw/dry and pre- distressed/washed denim ever again. Its just stupid.

6. dusty

dusty Senior member

And how the fuck can you compare a prewashed denim brand like Acne with Nudie? The Nudie market is raw denim. Dont ever compare raw/dry and pre- distressed/washed denim ever again. Its just stupid.

This guy is intense. I think he can do whatever he wants Stylez, Nudie makes plenty of predistressed washes themselves.

7. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

Nudie's market in America, on this forum, is raw denim. Nudie's main market is washed denim. Get over yourself.

8. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Senior member

The worst part about that little tantrum was that it distracted from all teh funny I worked so hard on in my last post. [​IMG]

9. Stylez

Stylez Well-Known Member

Yeah I know they sell washed denim, but they mostly sell dry denim. Seriously, who would buy washed denim from Nudie?

10. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Okay, I've heard about the high return rate thing too, from several retailers of Acne jeans. They are not, of course, the only premium company with the problem. Corpus, for example (I don't know if they've fixed this problem) has consistent issues with the top buttom falling off because the denim is not reinforced properly. And I really like Corpus designs (the Morphy, Fine and Tal jeans all have very nice silhouettes, imo). And to be fair to Acne, they are actually a decent (if not outstanding) jean in their domestic market. However, I would say that at double the domestic prices, at $200+, they can be fairly characterized as POS. Non-selvage Nudies, washed or otherwise, offer a much better deal at the $150-$200 pricepoint. And back pocket stitching issues aside (I personally do not find the Nudie stitching a sticking point), I think that Nudies have better washes and a better range of cuts than Acne.

All that said, Acne clothes are quite decent (although the quality is not great for the North American prices), while Nudies clothes leave more than just a little room for improvement.

11. Goblin

Goblin Senior member

Yeah I know they sell washed denim, but they mostly sell dry denim. Seriously, who would buy washed denim from Nudie?
    [​IMG]

12. j

j Senior member Admin

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Augusto86

Augusto86 Senior member

+1 I wrote a really involved post saying basically what you said, and then my browser crashed, which was probably for the better since the post was long and meandering and boring. Like I said before, I always dig your posts/advice, LA Guy, but this is the one issue on which I really disagree with you; "absolute crap" is a bit much. I also break with most SFers on the Nudie thing; not saying they're bad jeans or anything, but I'd gladly take a pair of understated, well-cut, lightly distressed Acnes over a pair of RRDS with the "hey, check out my Nudies!" stitiching. Just me. [​IMG]
    Oh noes! People might think that I think that they'll think that I think I'm cool because of the stitches on my ass!!!!! Better not have any stiches AT ALL. Then I can think that they won't think that I think I'm too cool. [​IMG]

14. ts4them

ts4them Senior member

Since they're Swedish, I assumed it was pronounced AHHk-ney and not ACK-ney.

15. tundrafour

tundrafour Senior member

Acne, yeah, it's a pretty weird, unsettling name. It used to get to me more than it does now. I guess you really can adjust to pretty bizarre things.

I saw a pair of brownish, pre-distressed Acnes at Barney's Co-Op a few weeks ago. They looked pretty cool. No idea about the quality, though, and the price, though I can't remember it specifically, was pretty high.

People are getting surprisingly emotional about this...

16. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Senior member

Oh noes! People might think that I think that they'll think that I think I'm cool because of the stitches on my ass!!!!! Better not have any stiches AT ALL. Then I can think that they won't think that I think I'm too cool.

[​IMG]

Pleeze; I know I'm too cool for all them suckas. [​IMG]

17. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Senior member

People are getting surprisingly emotional about this...

For real; I guess we can just agree to disa-ACNE RULEZ MOTHAF****Z!!!11!!1!! EAT IT EAT IT NUDIE IZ 4 POSERZ LOLROTLMAO +1 +1!!!!

18. giantreptile

giantreptile Active Member

funny, about a year ago i was arguing how acne was a stupid name on superfuture, and people were treating me like I was insane.

19. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Senior member

funny, about a year ago i was arguing how acne was a stupid name on superfuture, and people were treating me like I was insane.

Yeah, it is sort of stupid; I also think it's cheating a little bit since it's a Swedish company using an acronym that only works in English. Wtf? I also agree this is a whole lot of sound and fury about nothing, in which I eagerly participated nonetheless.

In sum: Acne is not crap; their dry jeans are not as good as Nudies (which is also a slightly silly name); their washed/distressed jeans are decent but overpriced; Nudie's flamboyant stitiching turns off some stealthbeasts like me, but Nudie makes good jeans regardless; and I think maybe we were a bit harsh to Stylez, who in turn was slightly more agressive than we usually like to see 'round these parts.

Now can I post these guys [​IMG] and bury this thread?