• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wtf is with the name "acne" jeans.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
I think it's funny. Not as bad as Nudie.

Nudie is named after an actual guy, and is not just a lame acronym. Also, the jeans actually are reasonably well made (can't say the same about the clothes,) unlike Acne jeans, which, expecially in the States (where prices are all $200+) are pieces of absolute crap. The non selvedge Nudies are way better value for money - cuts are more flattering on most people. If you really want to get escoteric, go with Whyred or Julian Red if you must got Swedish, or spend between $149-$300 (Acne's average between $225-$275 in the States) on terrific and really hard to find jeans from Blue in Green. Or just save get much better domestic brands for the same price from Rag & Bone (same price, better quality), Corpus (considerably cheaper that ACNE), or 5EP (same price, about 100x better quality.)

I guess you guys can guess, I hate ACNE jeans.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Nudie is named after an actual guy, and is not just a lame acronym. Also, the jeans actually are reasonably well made (can't say the same about the clothes,) unlike Acne jeans, which, expecially in the States (where prices are all $200+) are pieces of absolute crap. The non selvedge Nudies are way better value for money - cuts are more flattering on most people. If you really want to get escoteric, go with Whyred or Julian Red if you must got Swedish, or spend between $149-$300 (Acne's average between $225-$275 in the States) on terrific and really hard to find jeans from Blue in Green. Or just save get much better domestic brands for the same price from Rag & Bone (same price, better quality), Corpus (considerably cheaper that ACNE), or 5EP (same price, about 100x better quality.)

I guess you guys can guess, I hate ACNE jeans.

Uhhh, I was under the impression we were just talking about names. Also, even if Nudie is named after a guy, they are still belaboring the coincidental double entendre with all this "the naked truth about denim" talk.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bungee Man
It's not like acne writes the word acne all over their jeans. I would guess that most people here don't buy their jeans based off the name anyway.

I saw an otherwise gorgeous white shirt, spoiled by an embroidered ACNE on the breast. It was stylised, but nonetheless unsettling. That said, I don't really like logos of any kind on a shirt...

minya

Reaction score
Acne jeans definitely aren't crap. They're not especially overpriced either, given the range of other "premium denim" that sells for $200 in the US. They're made perfectly fine. Probably not going to last as long as some 45RPMs, but they're hardly Cheap Monday in terms of construction.

Babar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by minya
Acne jeans definitely aren't crap. They're not especially overpriced either, given the range of other "premium denim" that sells for $200 in the US. They're made perfectly fine. Probably not going to last as long as some 45RPMs, but they're hardly Cheap Monday in terms of construction.
Acne jeans actually had some really high return rates because of quality issues, but this has supposedly improved. In any case, I've been reasonably happy with both the quality and style of my Acne gear (only clothing, no jeans). Especially their hoodies fit me well, being tall and slim.

minya

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Babar
Acne jeans actually had some really high return rates because of quality issues, but this has supposedly improved.
According to whom?

In any case, I wouldn't buy or wear a pair of raw/dry Acne jeans. Their strength lies in their washed/distressed jeans, which are some of the best in the biz.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by minya
According to whom?

In any case, I wouldn't buy or wear a pair of raw/dry Acne jeans. Their strength lies in their washed/distressed jeans, which are some of the best in the biz.

+1

I wrote a really involved post saying basically what you said, and then my browser crashed, which was probably for the better since the post was long and meandering and boring.

Like I said before, I always dig your posts/advice, LA Guy, but this is the one issue on which I really disagree with you; "absolute crap" is a bit much.

I also break with most SFers on the Nudie thing; not saying they're bad jeans or anything, but I'd gladly take a pair of understated, well-cut, lightly distressed Acnes over a pair of RRDS with the "hey, check out my Nudies!" stitiching. Just me.
fing02[1].gif

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OTOH, I was actually thinking of giving up on Acne (it's not like I buy tons of their stuff anyway) because they were referenced in an article in the most unhip major media outlet in the country, aka the Washington Post (although hilariously mis-identified as "Acme").

I know, I know, we care about look and quality, not brand image, blah blah blah, but there comes a time...

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
P.S. They were name-dropped as a "hip brand" alongside TR and CFH in an article on "mom jeans" - wrong on so many levels.

Edit: What the hell has this forum done to me? I'm reading articles on mom jeans, for f***s sake...

Edit: And posting about them while watching football...

Edit: BTW, is it wrong that I was a little turned on by that article?

Stylez

Reaction score
Acne jeans seem to be on par with the new PDC, which I think is pretty damn lame. I'd take one pair of Earnest Sewns over 5 pairs of Acne's anyday.

And how the **** can you compare a prewashed denim brand like Acne with Nudie? The Nudie market is raw denim. Dont ever compare raw/dry and pre- distressed/washed denim ever again. Its just stupid.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stylez
And how the **** can you compare a prewashed denim brand like Acne with Nudie? The Nudie market is raw denim. Dont ever compare raw/dry and pre- distressed/washed denim ever again. Its just stupid.

This guy is intense. I think he can do whatever he wants Stylez, Nudie makes plenty of predistressed washes themselves.

Brian SD

Reaction score

Nudie's market in America, on this forum, is raw denim. Nudie's main market is washed denim. Get over yourself.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The worst part about that little tantrum was that it distracted from all teh funny I worked so hard on in my last post.
cry.gif

Stylez

Reaction score
Yeah I know they sell washed denim, but they mostly sell dry denim. Seriously, who would buy washed denim from Nudie?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, I've heard about the high return rate thing too, from several retailers of Acne jeans. They are not, of course, the only premium company with the problem. Corpus, for example (I don't know if they've fixed this problem) has consistent issues with the top buttom falling off because the denim is not reinforced properly. And I really like Corpus designs (the Morphy, Fine and Tal jeans all have very nice silhouettes, imo). And to be fair to Acne, they are actually a decent (if not outstanding) jean in their domestic market. However, I would say that at double the domestic prices, at $200+, they can be fairly characterized as POS. Non-selvage Nudies, washed or otherwise, offer a much better deal at the $150-$200 pricepoint. And back pocket stitching issues aside (I personally do not find the Nudie stitching a sticking point), I think that Nudies have better washes and a better range of cuts than Acne.

All that said, Acne clothes are quite decent (although the quality is not great for the North American prices), while Nudies clothes leave more than just a little room for improvement.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads