• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WTF is up with sizes these days?

JeffsWood

Reaction score
I am not a small guy - 6' and 193lbs. 42" chest and 36" waist. I am not obese, but no where near skinny, small, thin, light etc. So why the hell do I swim in size large golf shirts or jeans "marked" size 36.

I have to say I rarely buy casual clothes - I may wear jeans once every couple weeks. Any how it was time for me to buy some new jeans, some new golf shirts and a few t shirts. It has been a while since I shopped for this kind of stuff and I assumed I would be a large? But size large seems to have jumped up to size XL or even XXL from a few years ago. One Nike golf shirt was too big in size M. And dont get me sarted on jean sizes at Banana Republic - i think the trick there is the square root of your waist measurment equalls your size.

I am not sure what the hell you guys who are thin, skinny or small wear?
plain.gif

adamsnez

Reaction score
word, big-ups to this thread. fat-ass american cut clothes.
my casual shirts from Mexx, size XS, i would like even trimmer !!!

robasaurus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JeffsWood
plain.gif

Somedays I wonder that too. I often find XS too large for me.

Blame America. The country is 25% obese, or thereabouts, and they all like to wear their clothes loosely. I spoke with my areas Armani rep recently, and he was saying that American retailers will not buy any of the cuts they offer in Europe, so they've had to design a few specifically for the American market which are larger and fuller. And this is ARMANI, for God's sake! A label known for producing relatively full cut clothing!

clarity

Reaction score
plain.gif

You got me started.
fight[1].gif

Let's say I go find a small shirt at say BR for example and it has like a 38inch chest. ??? what?? Most shirts are like this. Assuming you can even find the small sizes. Which is almost never the case because they are so big that non-skinny people buy them all out. It honestly pisses me off, I have been wanting a round of new shirts but I'm at a loss for where to buy things that do not need to visit a tailor.

Even super casual things are a pia to find. I hate wearing S custom fit rl polo shirts because I can't find anything better looking in such a small size. Would rather do a button up and some thin pieces of outter wear. Not a boring polo.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
plain.gif

MTM and bespoke. And I'm not even particularly slim.

RTW is a killer for small sizes. The UK is catching up fast on the USA's size profile (we're about 15 years behind you now I think) so even here it's getting tricky to find stuff in smaller sizes (I can just about fit in some makers' 38 with tailoring but am really a 36 or 37 is many brands). As for shirts, I've given up with RTW now and the next shirts I decide to buy will be MTM or bespoke too.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
there is a store near me that refuses to stock size 38 jackets and anything under 32 in pants (Which probably fits more like 34).

they told me no one they know of actually fits in anything smaller then a 40
confused.gif

jsherman02

Reaction score
I do If you skinny people are complaining that there are not enough items made for you...get real.

There are more items made for slender folks than anyone else. I am 5 foot 11 and weight about 185 or so...and have a damn hard time finding sweaters or shirts that fit right. The sleeves are always too long and the arm openings are large enough for my leg!

There is no consistency for any sizing anymore....EVERYTHING must be tried on and usually tailored. (like denim with 36 inch inseams)

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jsherman02
There are more items made for slender folks than anyone else.

You must be kidding me.

jsherman02

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
You must be kidding me.

Where do you shop? There is a large amount of items that carry a ton of trim fit clothing. Walk into a Nordstrom...everything is slim fit.

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do If you skinny people are complaining that there are not enough items made for you...get real.

There are more items made for slender folks than anyone else. I am 5 foot 11 and weight about 185 or so...and have a damn hard time finding sweaters or shirts that fit right. The sleeves are always too long and the arm openings are large enough for my leg!

There is no consistency for any sizing anymore....EVERYTHING must be tried on and usually tailored. (like denim with 36 inch inseams)

I agree to a point. I think the everyday brands (Nautica, Tommy Hilfiger, etc.....stuff you find at low end malls/stores), the sizing is made for the overweight.

But the designer/trendy labels, I think its the opposite.

ozonemania

Reaction score
Ask the average American man what size they are, 80% will say they are 'Large' regardless of what size they really are. Men don't like to be called size Small or even size Medium, with fear they will be identifying themselves as being somehow less of a man. Similarly saying you're XL somehow shows you admit you're too big/fat.

This sort of influence/psychology causes clothing manufacturers size clothing so that the majority of the average consumer fit in the 'Large' size, as a way to increase appeal. This is what is squeezing out the (true) smaller sizes and making the size L the average for the (fatter) population.

jsherman02

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dshin
I agree to a point. I think the everyday brands (Nautica, Tommy Hilfiger, etc.....stuff you find at low end malls/stores), the sizing is made for the overweight.

But the designer/trendy labels, I think its the opposite.

I agree with your statement. I was looking at t-shirts today from Diesel....who is a medium in these? Or G-Star? I am in a XL at least if not a XXL.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where do you shop? There is a large amount of items that carry a ton of trim fit clothing. Walk into a Nordstrom...everything is slim fit.

Nordstrom is slim fit clothing? All of the Italian designer items they carry are cut larger specifically for the US!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads