Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

WTF is up with sizes these days?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by JeffsWood, Jul 19, 2008.

1. JeffsWood

JeffsWood Senior member

I am not a small guy - 6' and 193lbs. 42" chest and 36" waist. I am not obese, but no where near skinny, small, thin, light etc. So why the hell do I swim in size large golf shirts or jeans "marked" size 36.

I have to say I rarely buy casual clothes - I may wear jeans once every couple weeks. Any how it was time for me to buy some new jeans, some new golf shirts and a few t shirts. It has been a while since I shopped for this kind of stuff and I assumed I would be a large? But size large seems to have jumped up to size XL or even XXL from a few years ago. One Nike golf shirt was too big in size M. And dont get me sarted on jean sizes at Banana Republic - i think the trick there is the square root of your waist measurment equalls your size.

I am not sure what the hell you guys who are thin, skinny or small wear? [​IMG]

2. adamsnez

adamsnez Senior member

word, big-ups to this thread. fat-ass american cut clothes.
    my casual shirts from Mexx, size XS, i would like even trimmer !!!

3. vitaminc

vitaminc Senior member

vanity sizing at work!

4. robasaurus

robasaurus Senior member

Somedays I wonder that too. I often find XS too large for me.

Blame America. The country is 25% obese, or thereabouts, and they all like to wear their clothes loosely. I spoke with my areas Armani rep recently, and he was saying that American retailers will not buy any of the cuts they offer in Europe, so they've had to design a few specifically for the American market which are larger and fuller. And this is ARMANI, for God's sake! A label known for producing relatively full cut clothing!

5. clarity

clarity Senior member

You got me started.[​IMG]

Let's say I go find a small shirt at say BR for example and it has like a 38inch chest. ??? what?? Most shirts are like this. Assuming you can even find the small sizes. Which is almost never the case because they are so big that non-skinny people buy them all out. It honestly pisses me off, I have been wanting a round of new shirts but I'm at a loss for where to buy things that do not need to visit a tailor.

Even super casual things are a pia to find. I hate wearing S custom fit rl polo shirts because I can't find anything better looking in such a small size. Would rather do a button up and some thin pieces of outter wear. Not a boring polo.

6. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

MTM and bespoke. And I'm not even particularly slim.

RTW is a killer for small sizes. The UK is catching up fast on the USA's size profile (we're about 15 years behind you now I think) so even here it's getting tricky to find stuff in smaller sizes (I can just about fit in some makers' 38 with tailoring but am really a 36 or 37 is many brands). As for shirts, I've given up with RTW now and the next shirts I decide to buy will be MTM or bespoke too.

7. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

there is a store near me that refuses to stock size 38 jackets and anything under 32 in pants (Which probably fits more like 34).

they told me no one they know of actually fits in anything smaller then a 40 [​IMG]

8. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Thank goodness for Ralph's reverse vanity sizing. Sometimes I'm as much as a 40 in his slimmest stuff.

I've also had good luck buying some slimmer items, made for the European market, from Yoox.

9. jsherman02

jsherman02 Senior member

I do If you skinny people are complaining that there are not enough items made for you...get real.

There are more items made for slender folks than anyone else. I am 5 foot 11 and weight about 185 or so...and have a damn hard time finding sweaters or shirts that fit right. The sleeves are always too long and the arm openings are large enough for my leg!

There is no consistency for any sizing anymore....EVERYTHING must be tried on and usually tailored. (like denim with 36 inch inseams)

10. Lel

Lel Senior member

There are more items made for slender folks than anyone else.

You must be kidding me.

11. jsherman02

jsherman02 Senior member

You must be kidding me.

Where do you shop? There is a large amount of items that carry a ton of trim fit clothing. Walk into a Nordstrom...everything is slim fit.

12. dshin

dshin Senior member

I do If you skinny people are complaining that there are not enough items made for you...get real.

There are more items made for slender folks than anyone else. I am 5 foot 11 and weight about 185 or so...and have a damn hard time finding sweaters or shirts that fit right. The sleeves are always too long and the arm openings are large enough for my leg!

There is no consistency for any sizing anymore....EVERYTHING must be tried on and usually tailored. (like denim with 36 inch inseams)

I agree to a point. I think the everyday brands (Nautica, Tommy Hilfiger, etc.....stuff you find at low end malls/stores), the sizing is made for the overweight.

But the designer/trendy labels, I think its the opposite.

13. ozonemania

ozonemania Senior member

Ask the average American man what size they are, 80% will say they are 'Large' regardless of what size they really are. Men don't like to be called size Small or even size Medium, with fear they will be identifying themselves as being somehow less of a man. Similarly saying you're XL somehow shows you admit you're too big/fat.

This sort of influence/psychology causes clothing manufacturers size clothing so that the majority of the average consumer fit in the 'Large' size, as a way to increase appeal. This is what is squeezing out the (true) smaller sizes and making the size L the average for the (fatter) population.

14. jsherman02

jsherman02 Senior member

I agree to a point. I think the everyday brands (Nautica, Tommy Hilfiger, etc.....stuff you find at low end malls/stores), the sizing is made for the overweight.

But the designer/trendy labels, I think its the opposite.

I agree with your statement. I was looking at t-shirts today from Diesel....who is a medium in these? Or G-Star? I am in a XL at least if not a XXL.

15. unpainted huffheinz

unpainted huffheinz Senior member

Where do you shop? There is a large amount of items that carry a ton of trim fit clothing. Walk into a Nordstrom...everything is slim fit.

Nordstrom is slim fit clothing? All of the Italian designer items they carry are cut larger specifically for the US!