• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wtf is happening to my shirts? (Pic.)

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CaymanS
Most aftershave lotions pride themselves on being alcohol free. Why? I don't get it.:

I always use an aftershave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm, followed by a final moisturizing protective lotion.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
wash and iron your own shirts. it is good for the shirt. it is good for your soul.

Please listen to this advice.

jabreal00

Reaction score
Either wash or have the dry cleaner LAUNDER and not DRY CLEAN your shirts. If you wash it at home, remove it promptly from the washing machine and air dry it. Iron without any starch.

alexanduh

Reaction score
its your pit stubble

CaymanS

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stubloom
With answers to the following specific questions I will be able to break through the speculation and pinpoint the cause of the problem:

1. What is the fabric composition of the shirt(s) in question? 100% cotton? Cotton/poly blend? Cotton/spandex blend?

2. Has the problem manifested itself on one shirt only or a number of shirts?

3. Does the problem only occur when the shirt(s) is laundered? When the shirt is dry cleaned? Or both? If they are dry cleaned, what specific dry cleaning solvent do they use? Perc? Synthetic petroleum? Siloxane? Carbon dioxide?

4. What deodorant or anti-perspirant do you use?

I'll bet the answer has nothing to do with the launder vs dry clean debate.

5. Are you on any daily medication for high blood pressure or diabetes?

6. Are you prone to excessive sweating?

I'll bet the answer has nothing to do with the launder vs dry clean debate, nor with the professional service vs at home service debate. And, I'll bet that your "eco friendly" dry cleaner isn't as eco-friendly as they say they are.

Stu, you are the man. Here you go:

1 - 100% cotton.
2 - All of my shirts eventually get holes in the pits.
3 - Commercial laundry. No idea what chemicals are used. Left vm for the shop - haven't heard back yet.
4 - Mitchum Gel.
5 - Nope.
6 - Nope.

p.s. Highly likely that the eco-friendly thing is hogwash. Mainly, I like them because they don't burn the hell outta my shirts. Other dry cleaners have given me nightmares - these guys actually treat the shirts really well...it's just this damn armpit holes problem(!)

p.p.s. Any input you can give would be great.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Do you wear shirts that are too tight in the arms, or with armholes that are too high?

Do you wear undershirts?

Really hoping the Mitchum doesn't turn out to be the culprit here, because I'm a Mitchum man myself. That **** is the truth. It has been known to yellow an undershirt or two in my day, though, so I know it's fairly corrosive.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've had similar things happen to my shirts when I started bringing them to the cleaners. I have a feeling it has to do with the machine pressing. I have avoided tons of laundry issues by just doing it myself.

mic

Reaction score
Shaving cream: Edge with the orange cap.

After-shave lotion: afta (old school like Pro Tools.)

General use lotion: Lubriderm Original.

Razor: Mach 3.

Soap: Dove - white (no racism; no Ghostface).

Shampoo: Dove (same).

Cologne: Creed Millesime Imperial (aka "get raped on the dance floor") or Gaultier - for lesser occasions - such as the gym or retrieving the mail (I buy every one that comes out - the bottle changes and the scent is adjusted slightly every year - I have so many tight-shirted men by my sink that my bathroom counter looks like a gay bar - the all-white bottle Fleur Du Male is just...it's...OK I have to stop giving away my secrets now...the game is to be $old, not to be told).

Floss: Glide Crest Deep Clean.

Toothpaste: Crest 3D White.

Try as I may, I can't abandon any of these products. They're like my kids
laugh.gif

You left out your favorite hemorrhoid cream.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

After-shave lotion: afta (old school like Pro Tools.)

Isn't this a acetone based solvent that can be bought at many hardware stores and shoe cobbler's shops?

BTW, I just switched to mitchum unscented as well. I love it, I used to use degree, but I hate scents and the solid flaked everywhere.

stubloom

Reaction score
The problem with deteriorating fabric in the underarms of your shirts has nothing to do with... * Dry cleaning process vs shirt laundry process * "Professional" processing vs home processing * Scrubbing underarms with a brush * Tight fit or swinging of the arms * Cleaners pressing equipment. Kuddos to Raoul Duke who opined that the problem is caused by "sweat/deodorant". The problem is caused by: * Acids and chloride salts present in perspiration, and/or * Metallic salts present in anti-perspirants. Shirt laundry is an immersion process and the entire shirt is subjected to the SAME process. Yet the problem occurs in the underarm area only. If it was the laundering process, the same problem would occur in other areas of the shirt as well. Unfortunately, it's impossible to know PRIOR to laundering whether the already slowly deteriorating fabric will deteriorate to the point that ANY stress on the fibers caused by the tumbling in the washer wheel will cause the fabric to tear. I have seen this problem before. It's currently limited to about 6 specific clients out of many hundreds. One client specifically mentioned that he used Mitchum. In all cases, I solved the problem by soaking ALL their cotton shirts overnight in a solution of ammonia and water (1 part ammonia to 5 parts cold water), rinsing gently, hang drying, and then processing as normal. The effect of the ammonia is to neutralize the acids and salts. I'm sure that you can't rely on your cleaner to do that every time. So your'e going to have to do that yourself prior to turning your shirts over to the cleaner. Soak, rinse, hang dry and only then drop them off. You'll have no problem in the future. For further information on this subject... Blog post: Are the underarms of your shirts deteriorating? http://www.ravefabricare.com/true-qu...riorating.aspx

viator

Reaction score
In all cases, I solved the problem by soaking ALL their cotton shirts overnight in a solution of ammonia and water (1 part ammonia to 5 parts cold water), rinsing gently, hang drying, and then processing as normal. The effect of the ammonia is to neutralize the acids and salts.

I'm sure that you can't rely on your cleaner to do that every time. So your'e going to have to do that yourself prior to turning your shirts over to the cleaner. Soak, rinse, hang dry and only then drop them off. You'll have no problem in the future.[/url]

Or one could wear an undershirt - wouldn't that also stop this from happening?

CaymanS

Reaction score
The problem with deteriorating fabric in the underarms of your shirts have nothing to do with...

* Dry cleaning process vs shirt laundry process

* "Professional" processing vs home processing

* Scrubbing underarms with a brush

* Tight fit or swinging of the arms

* Cleaners pressing equipment.

Kuddos to Raoul Duke who opined that the problem is caused by "sweat/deodorant".

The problem is caused by:

* Acids and chloride salts present in perspiration, and

* Metallic salts present in anti-perspirants.

Shirt laundry is an immersion process and the entire shirt is subjected to the SAME process. Yet the problem occurs in the underarm area only. If it was the laundering process, the same problem would occur in other areas of the shirt as well.

Unfortunately, it's impossible to know PRIOR to laundering whether the already slowly deteriorating fabric will deteriorate to the point that ANY stress on the fibers caused by the tumbling in the washer wheel will cause the fabric to tear.

I have seen this problem before. It's currently limited to about 6 specific clients out of many hundreds. One client specifically mentioned that he used Mitchum. In all cases, I solved the problem by soaking ALL their cotton shirts overnight in a solution of ammonia and water (1 part ammonia to 5 parts cold water), rinsing gently, hang drying, and then processing as normal. The effect of the ammonia is to neutralize the acids and salts.

I'm sure that you can't rely on your cleaner to do that every time. So your'e going to have to do that yourself prior to turning your shirts over to the cleaner. Soak, rinse, hang dry and only then drop them off. You'll have no problem in the future.

For further information on this subject...

Blog post: Are the underarms of your shirts deteriorating?
http://www.ravefabricare.com/true-qu...riorating.aspx

HO. LY. ****. Stu Bloom, you are my frigging hero. I love you, man.

Mitchum has got to go. R.I.P.

Can you recommend a very mild anti-perspirant that doesn't contain these chemicals?

On the other hand, of the 6 clients who also had this problem, can you name some other offending anti-perspirants? I would hate to switch to one that gives me the same problem(!)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads