Wtf is happening to my shirts? (Pic.)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by CaymanS, Mar 8, 2011.

1. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Since someone mentioned the dry cleaner brushing, made me think that it could also be the pressing equipment. Maybe they are stretching the shirt over a stand that is too large. I had a dry cleaner years ago that was wearing holes in the cuffs of all their customers' shirts. Turns out there was a screw head sticking up from the pressing machine that was wearing away the fabric in the same area each time. I don't know why no one noticed until shirts started showing the damage.

Maybe ask them what their process is exactly, and also whether you can see the equipment?

2. CaymanS

CaymanS Senior member

Since someone mentioned the dry cleaner brushing, made me think that it could also be the pressing equipment. Maybe they are stretching the shirt over a stand that is too large. I had a dry cleaner years ago that was wearing holes in the cuffs of all their customers' shirts. Turns out there was a screw head sticking up from the pressing machine that was wearing away the fabric in the same area each time. I don't know why no one noticed until shirts started showing the damage.

Maybe ask them what their process is exactly, and also whether you can see the equipment?

^ Great advice, but the place where I drop off my shirts does not have a plant on the premises [​IMG]

I will see if they have a central customer service number, though. Perhaps others are going through the same hell I am.

In any case, I'm 90% certain that I'm gonna find a new cleaner.

3. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

I'd show them the damage, and ask if they do anything like what the poster above described.

4. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

It cost me something like $4.50 to dry clean a shirt. $1.45 to launder it. Not to mention an entirely different process. I never dry clean a shirt, unless it's black, and it's a nice one.

I meant the term not the service.

5. CaymanS

CaymanS Senior member

I'd show them the damage, and ask if they do anything like what the poster above described.

Absolutely. Just a left a VM at their business office carefully describing the problem. Pretty sure they're going batshit on the armpit with a brush and fucking up my whole steez in the process.

6. The Louche

The Louche Senior member

^ Great advice, but the place where I drop off my shirts does not have a plant on the premises [​IMG]

I will see if they have a central customer service number, though. Perhaps others are going through the same hell I am.

In any case, I'm 90% certain that I'm gonna find a new cleaner.

Seems like you recognize your own mistakes. I'd avoid anyplace that doesn't do everything on site, award-winning or not. Trust nothing that you can't see.

7. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Seems like you recognize your own mistakes. I'd avoid anyplace that doesn't do everything on site, award-winning or not. Trust nothing that you can't see.

If you live in a downtown urban area, I imagine it's near impossible to find a drycleaner who has the space to have the equipment on site.

8. mrmax

mrmax Senior member

Change deodorants. Seriously.

9. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Deodorant?

I get a slightly different problem to you - my shirts get ruined because they form a hard leathery surface under the armpits. I realized it was a deodorant that I used.

10. CaymanS

CaymanS Senior member

Maaaaaaan, the deodorant advice is sound, but I can't stop using Mitchum Unscented. Nor can I stop using anything else on my bathroom counter, because every single product I use has been the result of decades of beta-testing to arrive at the single best and most reliable product on the market.

Without further delay:

Shaving cream: Edge with the orange cap.

After-shave lotion: afta (old school like Pro Tools.)

General use lotion: Lubriderm Original.

Razor: Mach 3.

Soap: Dove - white (no racism; no Ghostface).

Shampoo: Dove (same).

Cologne: Creed Millesime Imperial (aka "get raped on the dance floor") or Gaultier - for lesser occasions - such as the gym or retrieving the mail (I buy every one that comes out - the bottle changes and the scent is adjusted slightly every year - I have so many tight-shirted men by my sink that my bathroom counter looks like a gay bar - the all-white bottle Fleur Du Male is just...it's...OK I have to stop giving away my secrets now...the game is to be $old, not to be told).

Floss: Glide Crest Deep Clean.

Toothpaste: Crest 3D White.

Try as I may, I can't abandon any of these products. They're like my kids [​IMG]

11. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Off topic in regards to thread - Im glad to see you are not wearing Old Spice [​IMG]

I find those gel deodorants form leather under the armpits [​IMG].

12. CaymanS

CaymanS Senior member

Off topic in regards to thread - Im glad to see you are not wearing Old Spice [​IMG]

I find those gel deodorants form leather under the armpits [​IMG].

Haha...WHOA. Never.

I know afta sounds a bit pedestrian, but I love it. And I've tried it all - the Art of Shaving aftershave lotions, the L'Occitane stuff - literally everything.

I love the afta because it has a nice dose of alcohol in it, which tightens the skin. Most aftershave lotions pride themselves on being alcohol free. Why? I don't get it.

Plus the subtle 80s masculine sporty scent mixes very well with any cologne and has been a consistent hit with the opposite sex ifyounahmsayin [​IMG]

13. quuz

quuz Senior member

Mu guess is the deodorant, I had the exact same thing happen to four of my shirts [​IMG] Started taking the deodorant before I went to bed and problem solved. On the other hand I use a very strong deodorant and it says it can damage clothes.

14. stubloom

stubloom Senior member

With answers to the following specific questions I will be able to break through the speculation and pinpoint the cause of the problem:

1. What is the fabric composition of the shirt(s) in question? 100% cotton? Cotton/poly blend? Cotton/spandex blend?

2. Has the problem manifested itself on one shirt only or a number of shirts?

3. Does the problem only occur when the shirt(s) is laundered? When the shirt is dry cleaned? Or both? If they are dry cleaned, what specific dry cleaning solvent do they use? Perc? Synthetic petroleum? Siloxane? Carbon dioxide?

4. What deodorant or anti-perspirant do you use?

I'll bet the answer has nothing to do with the launder vs dry clean debate.

5. Are you on any daily medication for high blood pressure or diabetes?

6. Are you prone to excessive sweating?

I'll bet the answer has nothing to do with the launder vs dry clean debate, nor with the professional service vs at home service debate. And, I'll bet that your "eco friendly" dry cleaner isn't as eco-friendly as they say they are.

15. Recoil

Recoil Senior member

If you live in a downtown urban area, I imagine it's near impossible to find a drycleaner who has the space to have the equipment on site.
    Knob Hill at Bloor and Spadina has it all on site and they do excellent work considering they're not a high-end cleaner like Couture, Creeds and Dove.