• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WTF? Hotels are nasty!

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
bubble_boy_2-754379.jpg
My solution to the hotel filth.

M. Bardamu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I vomited in the minibar once...and in the tub...

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by M. Bardamu
I vomited in the minibar once...and in the tub...

How? Drunk or food poisoning?? Please say food poisoning.

M. Bardamu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
How? Drunk or food poisoning?? Please say food poisoning.

Sadly, no...tequila does bad things to me.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
A bit of an aside but I don't keep my toothbrush in the bathroom.

I do the same. I am surprised how much faith and trust people put in hotels.

Hotel maid with your toothbrush (probably fake, but could easily happen)
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

You guys actually think you are sleeping on nice clean, comfy sheets?
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Even more you to think about

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
I do the same. I am surprised how much faith and trust people put in hotels. Hotel maid with your toothbrush (probably fake, but could easily happen)

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. You guys actually think you are sleeping on nice clean, comfy sheets?

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. Even more you to think about

And how many people are dying, even getting sick, after staying in a hotel. Is there a significant difference between staying in a hotel, and going for dinner and then going back home to bed? I suspect not. I love how the description of this video is "don't stay another night in a hotel without watching this video!" So now that I've watched it, what do I do? How about nothing? Quit with this BS. It serves no one and only contributes to our society's over-the-top hypochondriasis.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
A little dirt will not hurt you. (Or the odd dingleberry, just ask edmorel.)
Do you wash your hands after going to the bathroom?

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am sitting in my room's jacuzzi at this moment. Nothing else to do in this small town where I've ended up for a week. It was remarkably clean but I wonder what people have done in here.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ahab
Do you wash your hands after going to the bathroom?

Yes, always. I probably wash my hands more often than most people I know, or here for that matter, medical personnel excepted. I work with dirty old stuff (antiques etc.), and normally shower at least twice a day, typically three. I sometimes use rubber gloves for handling the most unsavoury stuff.

Stories:

Mostly as a favour to a good customer, I looked over a flat he'd been renting out to an old lady for several decades, and where the old lady had been lying dead for a couple of weeks. There was a weak outline of her body on the otherwise very nice parquet floor. I started looking the stuff over, and opened one of those silver cigarette drums - the lid was very tight, but gave with a bit of force - and inhaled half a cremated cat. It turns out she had had all her pets, say eight or ten cats, cremated and then put the ashes and bones, together with some fur stuff, collars etc. in the nicest boxes and vases she had. This was Thursday, four weeks ago.

Next day: Valuating an old man's estate. It turns out he'd had a colostomy operation, and probably being a bit shaky-handed, as old people are, had been quite sloppy when changing the bags. There was this gastric/**** stench permeating the whole place...I smoked continously during that visit, even though the house had been aired out for days. Then I went home and showered and changed before I went back to the office.

Three-four years ago, I was helping the porters carry a huge painting with an even huger frame. Suddenly two eggs, roughly the size of grapes, tumbled down from the frame and exploded on my lapel. Explanation: The old lady selling the painting had had a parrot that went a bit insane, built nests and laid eggs all over the flat. Oddly, the contents of the eggs were still liquid, even though the parrot had died several months earlier. The good thing about this, I suppose, is that the eggs ruined my last remaining Hugo Boss suit.

---

I do not worry about the hygienic status of hands I shake, or hotel bedsheets.

Because I wash my hands frequently.

It's just dirt. Dirt is just matter out of place.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought one of those small blacklights from Spencer's Gifts or somewhere and used it in my hotel room. I wish I hadn't. BTW whats the difference between hotels and motels?

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A little dirt will not hurt you. (Or the odd dingleberry, just ask edmorel.)

Then

Yes, always. I probably wash my hands more often than most people I know, or here for that matter, medical personnel excepted. I work with dirty old stuff (antiques etc.), and normally shower at least twice a day, typically three. I sometimes use rubber gloves for handling the most unsavoury stuff.

Stories:

Mostly as a favour to a good customer, I looked over a flat he'd been renting out to an old lady for several decades, and where the old lady had been lying dead for a couple of weeks. There was a weak outline of her body on the otherwise very nice parquet floor. I started looking the stuff over, and opened one of those silver cigarette drums - the lid was very tight, but gave with a bit of force - and inhaled half a cremated cat. It turns out she had had all her pets, say eight or ten cats, cremated and then put the ashes and bones, together with some fur stuff, collars etc. in the nicest boxes and vases she had. This was Thursday, four weeks ago.

Next day: Valuating an old man's estate. It turns out he'd had a colostomy operation, and probably being a bit shaky-handed, as old people are, had been quite sloppy when changing the bags. There was this gastric/**** stench permeating the whole place...I smoked continously during that visit, even though the house had been aired out for days. Then I went home and showered and changed before I went back to the office.

Three-four years ago, I was helping the porters carry a huge painting with an even huger frame. Suddenly two eggs, roughly the size of grapes, tumbled down from the frame and exploded on my lapel. Explanation: The old lady selling the painting had had a parrot that went a bit insane, built nests and laid eggs all over the flat. Oddly, the contents of the eggs were still liquid, even though the parrot had died several months earlier. The good thing about this, I suppose, is that the eggs ruined my last remaining Hugo Boss suit.

---

I do not worry about the hygienic status of hands I shake, or hotel bedsheets.

Because I wash my hands frequently.

It's just dirt. Dirt is just matter out of place.

It may be just dirt but I still think it is nasty to have the coffee pot next to the toilet.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mar15_21.gif

NOTE: This came from somethingawful.com. I do not lurk pee forums. I want to kill this man.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I live by the creedo of what doesn't kill me will make me stronger.

I think that this is in part why I have a healthy immune system. I played in the dirt as a kid and continue to eat stuff that falls on the floor to this day (well, dry stuff that won't get crap stuck to it anyway). I also eat a lot of yogurt with active cultures in it so this protects me from a lot of pathogenic bacteria that might make it through.

Funny story - was in the hospital with a patient who had a visitor. The pulmonary doc was also there. Anyway, when the doc was leaving he turned to shake the visitor's hand. The guy pulled back a little before shaking and then commented that people don't usually like to shake his hand cause he's a plumber. Doc told him "you should be more worried about shaking my hand" (which is sort of true cause of the number of bugs we carry on us).

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
NOTE: This came from somethingawful.com. I do not lurk pee forums. I want to kill this man.
Urine is sterile. Just a FYI. If you have bacteria in your pee, you have an infection. Well, you may not actually depending on the count but they shouldn't be there. If you ever have to give a urine sample this is why they ask for a midstream catch so that any bacteria found is known to have come from the actual urine and not elsewhere such as the opening of the urethra.

r...

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Punisher
BTW whats the difference between hotels and motels?

Parking, the "mo" in motel is motor abbreviated.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads