• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WTF, Browne?

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dokelroth
I am not sure you are reading/understanding him correctly. He said that the buying appointments are right after the shows and that the shows whip everybdoy into a lather getting them ready to buy, even if the first is only showing fantasy and not the product. This is pretty common practice in most industries.

Correct. Half the time during runway shows people are hadly paying attention. The days before or after a runway show are when the writing appointments are made and when you sit down with your budget for 2-3 hrs and go over the line.

Some interesting info: Men's S/S 08 has already been 95% bought by retailers about 2 months ago (eventhough the NY shows are happening right now).

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trade shows may have conceptual items featured as a glimpse of technology or design to come, but it's always something that will have a meaningful impact on the product going forward.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
I mistyped, that should have been ‘I’. What I think is ironic is that you come to a forum expecting people to goosestep to your tune. How boring the world would be if we all thought like you did.

... Sigh.

Then it’s not really a car is it? It’s merely a shell showcasing an audio system. I want some to prove to me that the carwash thing is wearable in public. Forget about if it’s actually possible to don the clothes on, would one indeed be able to wear them in public without well, looking utterly ridiculous?

And if that picture truly is you, I can see where you are coming from, but you will be unable to see where I’m coming from.

Jon.
If the car functions (which frequently, they do), then yes.. it is a car. You obviously didn't read what I stated: clothing as art, which some will dispute, is a concept which is at the core of "designer fashion." The manhula, I strongly doubt, is not intended to be "worn in public." A runway, however, isn't "public." As I stated, I feel that most of the show was complete trash, but it is what it is.

No, that picture isn't me.

Originally Posted by TCN
I can accept the argument that these are akin to "performance art" pieces, and not meant for daily wear, but then why do these shows operate under the veil that they are "presenting" a new collection? Why not advertise them as a performance by TB, rather than as a legitimate presentation of his newest wares?

I think the guy has every right to do this, and even to label it as art, but I don't see any signs of actual talent, style or creativity with what he does . . . but that's just my opinion.

Agreed.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At the end of the day, what even relatively trend-concious people wear year to year is fairly static or at least slow moving. Changes are made at the margin but it's all pretty similar and even a lot of new things are simply re-interpretations of what has been done previously.

IMO, the point of fashion show is to take those relatively small differences and magnify them 600x. You take small subtleties in cut and color and material and create an exploded version of that to hit people over the head with what you're trying to convey and how what you are doing is different - when, of course, the wearable stuff can't be too different or wouldn't be wearable at all.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian
glenn_1.jpg

"Get that earth creature and bring back the Uranium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator."

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JBZ
"Get that earth creature and bring back the Uranium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator."

"Red Fleece, BB 2010"

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I actually have those horns. They're Dior Fall '06 and I wear them with tweeds and moleskins.

This just goes to show you that, when viewing fashion shows, you really do need to look at each piece individually rather than the outfit as a whole.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
browne.slide5.jpg
Apparently Niles Crane is not only gay, he is a bedwetter...

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Somehow Eric Glenie's designs look mainstream now...

dokelroth

Reaction score
I would love to see the styles of Image Wis, Agousto, TCN and some of the other haters of Thom Browne.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads