• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WTF?!?!- Alteration Disaster?

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I just got home and saw this:

I've gone to this lady to get a whole bunch of things tailored, including 3-4 sleeve shortenings on jackets. She has always done a perfect job, no complaints whatsoever. So I flipped out when I saw this. Since there were never any problems with other jackets, I've assumed that to sleeve shortenings were done at the shoulder. Is this unacceptable? What could be done to fix this jacket?

Eccentric

Reaction score
I would first return it and see if she can repair it, free of charge of course. If that can't be fixed, then it is, sadly, a dead jacket.

Reaction score
butbut.gif

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DAYYYYUM!

The best thing would be to remove all the buttonhole stitching, and sew the buttons higher up.

Also, get a refund or something, thats nasty.

tlmusic

Reaction score
Are those real functional buttonholes or fake buttonholes? It's a little difficult to tell from the picture, but they appear to be the faux buttonhole type. If that is so, all the buttonhole stitching can often be removed without leaving a mark on the fabric. Then the buttons would be sewn on again in the correct spot. A good tailor could also add some new stitching around the buttons if you desire.

FWIW, this is really unacceptable on the part of the "tailor". It's so bad that I'd ask for my money back for the alteration, and then fire them--or at least never return. It's nice to give people a second chance, but obviously this particular tailor is not very competent if they consider the butchery they did to be even in the range of acceptablity. They'll probably mess it up again, but worse.

Time for a new tailor.

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The buttonholes are not working, though I think they could be. Man I'm pretty pissed off about this because this was one of my nicer jackets. The sleeve shortening was about 1 in.

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol, that's epic. Sad, but epic.

tlmusic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheessus
The buttonholes are not working, though I think they could be. Man I'm pretty pissed off about this because this was one of my nicer jackets. The sleeve shortening was about 1 in.

Take your poor jacket to the best tailor in town to assess the damage. Find somebody who is a bespoke tailor, or at least an alterations tailor in a reputable high-end men's clothing store. Find out what it will cost to undo the damage (based on the pictures, it looks like your coat might be fixable--if that makes you feel any better). That way you'll know what costs you've incurred, and you can decide if it's worth it to ever confront the person that chopped your jacket up.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this...I have three suits with the same exact problem...aweful! Now I know I'll take it to a better place and see if they can fix it...

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Holy $hit!
laugh.gif

The good news is that this can be fixed rather easily by a competent tailor. And never alter jackets at the shoulder. The buttons are simply moved and the sleeve shortened at the cuff.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
Thanks for posting this...I have three suits with the same exact problem...aweful! Now I know I'll take it to a better place and see if they can fix it...

Wait... you have 3 suits with this problem? And you never noticed it was a problem till now?

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder if she is outsourcing work to incompetent amateurs.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow......

Did you comment on her daughters ass on the way out of the store or something

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads