WSJ: How Can Jeans Cost $300?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by randomkoreandude, Jul 7, 2011.

1. mattt

mattt Senior member

Surely people didn't actually think that the retail price of designer clothes reflects the raw costs of production.. yet the comments seem to prove otherwise.

2. johnH123

johnH123 Senior member

This topic seems to pop up in the media every once in a while ("why do designer things cost so much") and it always seems to boil down to the same answer ("because there are people who will pay that much for designer items"). People act surprised when they see manufacturing costs vs what an item actually sells for, like it's something new.

I want to see a similar comparison done with some SF approved brands, I wonder what that would look like.

Most of the commenters on online articles are sour, beaten losers. The Seattle Times had an article about the opening of a new city park, and all the comments were extremely negative. What kind of person hates parks?

I love trolling the hell out of those comments.

Kinda like people who populate online forums? I love tro...oops.

3. NowhereOutThere

NowhereOutThere Senior member

True Religions that actually don't look disgusting? What a surprise. The J Brand jeans I have seen actually don't seem too bad for "premium" denim, but there is better stuff out there for the same price (obviously). On sale, though, their washed pairs don't seem like a bad deal.

4. iTylerStewart

iTylerStewart Active Member

True Religions that actually don't look disgusting? What a surprise. The J Brand jeans I have seen actually don't seem too bad for "premium" denim, but there is better stuff out there for the same price (obviously). On sale, though, their washed pairs don't seem like a bad deal.

I have some raw J Brand Kanes and they have a nice fit and the denim is well put together.

5. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

Why do people care about a WSJ piece written by someone who probably thinks Hugo Boss is the best American designer ever

6. mr.orange

mr.orange Senior member

Surely people didn't actually think that the retail price of designer clothes reflects the raw costs of production.. yet the comments seem to prove otherwise.

that's not what I meant. It's just that my perception, after the guy said he could potentially make the jean cheaper by producing in China, changed and made me think "I am paying a ridiculous amount of money for something that could be had at half the price."

I want to see a similar comparison done with some SF approved brands, I wonder what that would look like.

+1 I'd like to see this too actually

I have some raw J Brand Kanes and they have a nice fit and the denim is well put together.

I don't own any Jbrand jeans but that seems to be an accurate description of them. I'm in love with the denim section @ Barneys [​IMG]

7. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

Sadly, it wouldn't be very different for some. For others, the margins are definitely more conservative.

Of course, it also depends if the brand is strictly wholesale or if they have their own store/e-shop in which to improve those margins.

8. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

I'm in love with the denim section @ Barneys [​IMG]
    Is it really that good? It's much better than most retailers, granted, and hits different price ranges but I think [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] is too much emotion for me.

9. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

yeah barneys jean selection is def not that great, but good during sale time

10. jet

jet Persian Bro

I think johnH would be in for a shock if he found out his precious jcrew shirts cost $3 to make.

11. mike868y

mike868y Senior member

Uncontrol is right.

never thought I'd see this.

12. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

I want to see this done for Levi's and some Wal-Mart jeans and shit, too. I'd bet the markup is not as high but still would freak these people out.

13. mr.orange

mr.orange Senior member

Is it really that good? It's much better than most retailers, granted, and hits different price ranges but I think [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] is too much emotion for me.

It's a solid place to get some denim and even better during sale time.

yeah barneys jean selection is def not that great, but good during sale time

are you kidding? it's got a great selection: APC, RRL, Levi's made & crafted, N&F, Simon Miller, Dior, and those are just a few. anything is great during sale time even banana republic.

I think johnH would be in for a shock if he found out his precious jcrew shirts cost $3 to make.

it costs $13 to make J.crew chinos

14. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

sorry didnt clarify that i was referring to co-op. BUT most of those jeans i can get elsewhere fairly easily except for diors and rrls

15. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

I was just @ Barney's in SF today and wasn't terribly impressed with the sale - granted most of the stuff could have been picked clean by now. Didn't focus much on the denim section as I generally don't think of Barney's as a jeans place but they carry RRL?