• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WSJ Hckey Freeman article

coltboy75

Reaction score
Anyone else see this in today's journal?

By RAY A. SMITH
Hickey Freeman, the men's label that for decades has been a go-to American suit brand for bankers and lawyers, is undergoing a big makeover in the hopes of boosting its fashion cred.

The change is part of a broader attempt to resuscitate the 123-year-old clothing manufacturer formerly known as Hartmarx Corp., which makes Hickey Freeman and other clothing. It filed for bankruptcy protection in 2009, just days after celebrating the fact that Barack Obama donned both a Hart Schaffner Marx suit and tux on his inauguration day.

Ultimately the company was felled not just by the weak economy but, observers say, by its failure to adapt to new trends in men's clothes, like slimmer fits and more dress-casual looks.

Now Hickey Freeman suits, previously known for a boxy fit and a conservative style, boast things like less-padded shoulders, softer chests, a trimmer silhouette and flat-front pants, plus bolder patterns and fabrics.

"We want to attract the younger and younger-thinking customer," says men's fashion designer Joseph Abboud, who was hired in January as the company's creative director. "Hickey Freeman was much more traditional under the old regime," he says. "It lacked sex appeal."

The new looks won't be in stores until spring, but the company is debuting its new image in print ads, shot by Annie Leibovitz, next month. They'll appear in the September issues of magazines such as GQ, Details and Vanity Fair.

Hartmarx, now called HMX, was acquired in August for about $120 million in a venture led by SKNL North America BV, a subsidiary of an Indian textile maker. The company tapped branding guru David Lipman, who is credited with helping revamp the images of Burberry and Lord & Taylor, to create a new, more modern identity and a splashy marketing blitz for Hickey Freeman. It hired Doug Williams, a veteran menswear executive, as its chief executive last September.

HMX's push comes as the men's suit business shows signs of strengthening, though not yet enough to return sales to pre-recession levels. Men's suits were hit especially hard during the global economic downturn, retailers say, as men backed off on big-ticket items and updated their wardrobes by buying new shirts or ties instead. Sales have risen 4.5% to $2.41 billion for the 12 months ended May 31, says market research firm NPD Group.

Some retail executives have credited men in their 20s and 30s with driving recent suit sales. In attempting to reach younger men, Hickey Freeman now faces competition from popular designer brands like Rag & Bone that have ramped up the portion of suits in their collections and even stores like J. Crew, which recently has been placing more emphasis on suits. HMX has specific challenges in that its Hickey Freeman suits, which are made in the U.S. with prices that start around $1,300, are perceived as being outdated.

"They're going to have to be able to satisfy both [new and old customers] but they don't want to lose that loyal customer," says Andrew Jassin, managing director of the Jassin Consulting group. "That Hickey Freeman customer is not buying Armani"”that customer is an American built guy who needs a well-cut suit."

"They've done a really good job of updating," says Tom Ott, a general merchandise manager at Saks Fifth Avenue, about the retooled Hickey Freeman.

Messrs. Abboud and Williams say the changes to the Hickey Freeman suits aren't so aggressive that the brand will lose its core identity. "We didn't try to make this Dolce & Gabbana," says Mr. Abboud. "We're not talking about suits for insider fashionistas. It's about great modern sexy clothes for the American business guy." The company also expanded Hickey Freeman's offerings of sportier clothing beyond suits, which hadn't been a focus in Hickey Freeman's past.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't compete b/c it's made in the US with high quality fabrics and materials. There goes the full canvassing. There goes the US factories. I can feel it coming. Soon HF will just be a logo with products made in India, China, or elsewhere, with the standard fused construction.

I dread this day.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coltboy75
"We want to attract the younger and younger-thinking customer," says men's fashion designer Joseph Abboud, who was hired in January as the company's creative director. "Hickey Freeman was much more traditional under the old regime," he says. "It lacked sex appeal."

Wait wut?

I don't know what the quality of Joseph Abboud was like before he left the brand, but I've seen some jaz pieces from his recent label and they've sucked as well, not just in quality but in design.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scurvyfreedman
Can't compete b/c it's made in the US with high quality fabrics and materials. There goes the full canvassing. There goes the US factories. I can feel it coming. Soon HF will just be a logo with products made in India, China, or elsewhere, with the standard fused construction.

I dread this day.

Well, HF is now owned by an Indian company, S Kumars which also owns Reid & Taylor. I dont know what R &T was doing before the takeover but these days its mid-level manufacturer with a lot of its production in India

Chargersfan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by scurvyfreedman

I dread this day.

Yup...can you say Z Zenga?

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Z Zegna is made in India / China ?

jacnyr

Reaction score
Apparently this is a company that now feels they must do something. Sadly, it sounds as though it would be better to do nothing, than the direction their headed. Big fan of the brand, just picked up a new HF suit last month.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coltboy75
Now Hickey Freeman suits, previously known for a boxy fit and a conservative style, boast things like less-padded shoulders, softer chests, a trimmer silhouette and flat-front pants, plus bolder patterns and fabrics.

This sounds pretty good to me.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

magogian12345

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what I understand, they still plan to make their suits in the US.

They will be introducting a new line that is cheaper (half-canvassed like the BB 1818) and targets a younger crowd. Also, I believe they are going to start carrying more sportswear.

Chargersfan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
Mexico?

That what I have seen, just stuff made in Mexico...but I am in Canada...they might have European made stuff for the European market

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
thanks for posting this.

i find it odd that they are talking about promoting more modern cuts while they are winding down (or are they?) the Hickey brand, which sought to accomplish just that.

i cannot imagine that HF will stop making canvassed mainline suits. that will kill their brand. while i don't wear HF myself, i do hope they are not that dumb / short-sighted. they should do what everyone else does, which is set up a sublabel for cheaper stuff. oh wait, they tried that with hickey
laugh.gif

funny that abboud is now talking about how HF had no sex appeal. pot, meet kettle?

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Z doesn't fit me so I don't really look at it normally. But I thought it was mostly Mexico made.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads