1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

WSJ: Drake left business, sold to Armoury.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dbc, Aug 7, 2011.

1. cdmoore1855

cdmoore1855 Senior member

They bought Drakes before the Armoury even opened. Mark was the one who opened the Drakes store in London

2. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

+1. There's a reason Drake's got a big big makeover including a bricks and mortar and a new website.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  3. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

This.

Like a said: Couldn't have found a better buncha guys.

4. pitboss12

pitboss12 Senior member

I hope that Drake's is in good hands with the Armoury group. It would be a shame if we ended up referring to our Drake's goods as pre-acquisition and post-acquisition because of a dip in quality, etc.

5. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

They do seem like a great bunch of guys, so i can only hope that they are rewarded with healthy and profitable business.

In line with PG's rant about honest margins not set with sales in mind, it's refreshing to see businessmen investing in top quality goods as well as staff with expertise and integrity. It's a tough industry and i hope these so-called "old fashioned" values pay off in the long run.

1 person likes this.
  6. cdmoore1855

cdmoore1855 Senior member

I really can not see there being a pre and post aquisition product, I think they will try to market the brand to a wider audience, whilst retaining the Key attributes that helped Drakes become a well known artison brand to begin with

7. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member Dubiously Honored

I would think with Mark at the helm thing will continue to go from strength to strength and if anything the quality will get better - jia you!:slayer:

8. GuidoWongolini

GuidoWongolini Senior member

Also Michael Hill (who is staying on) has been designing the ranges for a few seasons now.

1 person likes this.
  9. TTO

TTO Senior member

Wow..explains the big shake up!
    Glad it went to guys who seriously care about the quality and style on offer.
    I suppose this means I can actually shop some armoury stuff in person after all.
    I'm glad Mr Hill is staying on as He seems to be intrinsically linked to the style identity at Drakes.
    -TTO

10. apropos

apropos Senior member

Interesting development. All the best to the guys at the Armoury.

Now if only they would sell more ties in 9cm widths instead of hipster 7cm widths!!!! :fu:

2 people like this.
  11. E TF

E TF Senior member

I met Michael Drake at an event at his factory late last year - thought he seemed quite pleased about something, now I know what! Good luck to him and the guys from the Armoury.

I did think the B&M shop was a departure for the company. Before they had seemed focused on making scarves and ties and sourcing a small range of complimentary accessories: I had been expecting the shop to be something like the ground floor at Charvet - just a room full of ties. Instead I was surprised to find a relatively low emphasis on ties, and instead a small selection of shirts, jackets and shoes - not things Drake's are known for and presumably just rebranded goods from other makers. It's also a small space physically - it struck me that it could look impressive lined with racks and racks of ties and scarves, like something from Gatsby's (or Vox's) wardrobe; but as it was I was distinctly underwhelmed.

Personally I want to buy shoes from shoe makers, shirts from shirt makers, and ties from tie makers. I hope they're not planning to turn Drakes into a general menswear retailer instead of a focused manufacturer.

Having said that I wish there was a shop like the Armoury in London - they should open it under their own name though, not Drake's.

12. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

+1. Absolutely, and amen to that!!!

1 person likes this.
  13. E TF

E TF Senior member

+1. Hell yeah.

14. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Ill +3 that - and the more I think about this, the more awesome it is. Remember when yfyf was just posting pics in WAYWRN? What a comeuppance story. This is fantastic, truly, truly fantastic for them.

15. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

WOW! Congrats Mark and the gang.

[​IMG]

16. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Senior member

Pretty, pretty good. Good luck!

17. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

Agreed, an Armoury in London would be epic. The first thing I thought when reading the subject was "does this mean the Drakes shop will be rebranded as an Armoury?"

1 person likes this.
  18. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

For things to remain the same, everything must change.

19. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

20. apropos

apropos Senior member

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011