• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WSJ article: "A Hard-Working Suit", pub. 4/14

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the Brooks Brothers Suiting Essential MTM for $600? I have never heard of this.

Not Ed Harris

Reaction score
Originally Posted by js4design
What is the Brooks Brothers Suiting Essential MTM for $600? I have never heard of this.

I think they're saying BB's Essential range starts from $600 and there are MTM options (which I assume will cost more).

It's pretty badly written though. Too much advertising puff from the various spokesfolk and the overuse of quotes makes the writer seem lazy as they're contributing little to the article themselves.

If they'd focussed on the review from their experts and just gave a bit of background on the various brands it would be a lot better.

TL;DR - SuitSupply wins.

officeboy

Reaction score
A lot of love for suitsupply there, but it doesn't seem to match the view generally found here.

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by js4design

It's MTO not mtm. You pick a fabric and a fit, a couple other details and then they cut the suit and you get it in a month. Measurements are taken, but thats so the factory can perform alterations.

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They lost me when they insinuated that wool ratings via the super system referred to thread count.

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
favorite line from article:

"Both testers said the $614 Suitsupply suit matched the $3,625 Armani in quality."

very possibly true.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OttoSkadelig
favorite line from article:

"Both testers said the $614 Suitsupply suit matched the $3,625 Armani in quality."

very possibly true.

Indeed, the ground beef from the local grocer tasted as good as a the ground chuck from Whole Foods.

Wongtouski

Reaction score
So how IS the quality of the gear @ Suitsupply? I've never heard of this brand until this article. Had a peek at their website and their stuff looks good.

How does it compare to say J Crew (both of which I have not been because I live in HK), better comparison is...........Zara?

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"...Fokke de Jong, chief executive and founder of the company."

Bet he gets a lot of action from the girls with that name.

Flartchy

Reaction score
"Big suit makers like Brooks Brothers and HMX, which sell suits between about $600 and $3,000, say their lowest-priced suits are experiencing the fastest sales growth. "

That's cause these days everybody's fookin' broke!
facepalm.gif

bluesman528

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wongtouski
So how IS the quality of the gear @ Suitsupply? I've never heard of this brand until this article. Had a peek at their website and their stuff looks good.
The brand has strong sales in Europe and it's growing fast. And I have to say, it's largely because of the excellent quality for this price point. I'm currently wearing one of their OTR suits from their summer collection, not even from their best Suit-Up line. It's half-canvassed, has a natural shoulder, nice fit (Drop 7), working sleeve buttons and the cloth is a Super 120 wool with Glen Urquhart Check in light blue from the italian manufacturer Vitale Barberis Canonico. Lining is Bemberg in a matching royal blue. Kind of a dandy suit, fashionable but with substance, worn with dark brown double monks from the Loake 1880 series, my interpretation of Casual Friday. And this suit came at a price of (converted) around 430$ retail. Yes, I'm wearing RLBL and Raffaele Caruso suits, too. And they are slightly better in every respect, one can not deny that. But they are substantially more expensive, too.

stu00a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just checked their website and some of their suits have similar looks of isaia's.
and i like their peak lapel suits, it's like made for poor souls who can't afford Tom Ford.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics