1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

WSJ article: "A Hard-Working Suit", pub. 4/14

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by thesecondprize, Apr 14, 2011.

1. S. Magnozzi

S. Magnozzi Senior member

Wow, so much fail in that article.

2. js4design

js4design Senior member

What is the Brooks Brothers Suiting Essential MTM for $600? I have never heard of this.

3. Not Ed Harris

Not Ed Harris Senior member

What is the Brooks Brothers Suiting Essential MTM for $600? I have never heard of this.

I think they're saying BB's Essential range starts from $600 and there are MTM options (which I assume will cost more).

It's pretty badly written though. Too much advertising puff from the various spokesfolk and the overuse of quotes makes the writer seem lazy as they're contributing little to the article themselves.

If they'd focussed on the review from their experts and just gave a bit of background on the various brands it would be a lot better.

TL;DR - SuitSupply wins.

4. officeboy

officeboy Senior member

A lot of love for suitsupply there, but it doesn't seem to match the view generally found here.

5. CYstyle

CYstyle Senior member

It's MTO not mtm. You pick a fabric and a fit, a couple other details and then they cut the suit and you get it in a month. Measurements are taken, but thats so the factory can perform alterations.

6. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

They lost me when they insinuated that wool ratings via the super system referred to thread count.

7. OttoSkadelig

OttoSkadelig Senior member

favorite line from article:

"Both testers said the $614 Suitsupply suit matched the $3,625 Armani in quality."

very possibly true.

8. Recoil

Recoil Senior member

"Both testers said the $614 Suitsupply suit matched the $3,625 Armani in quality."

very possibly true.

Indeed, the ground beef from the local grocer tasted as good as a the ground chuck from Whole Foods.

9. Wongtouski

Wongtouski Senior member

So how IS the quality of the gear @ Suitsupply? I've never heard of this brand until this article. Had a peek at their website and their stuff looks good.

How does it compare to say J Crew (both of which I have not been because I live in HK), better comparison is...........Zara?

10. Twotone

Twotone Senior member

"...Fokke de Jong, chief executive and founder of the company."

Bet he gets a lot of action from the girls with that name.

11. Flartchy

Flartchy Senior member

"Big suit makers like Brooks Brothers and HMX, which sell suits between about $600 and $3,000, say their lowest-priced suits are experiencing the fastest sales growth. "

That's cause these days everybody's fookin' broke! [​IMG]

12. bluesman528

bluesman528 Senior member

So how IS the quality of the gear @ Suitsupply? I've never heard of this brand until this article. Had a peek at their website and their stuff looks good.
    The brand has strong sales in Europe and it's growing fast. And I have to say, it's largely because of the excellent quality for this price point. I'm currently wearing one of their OTR suits from their summer collection, not even from their best Suit-Up line. It's half-canvassed, has a natural shoulder, nice fit (Drop 7), working sleeve buttons and the cloth is a Super 120 wool with Glen Urquhart Check in light blue from the italian manufacturer Vitale Barberis Canonico. Lining is Bemberg in a matching royal blue. Kind of a dandy suit, fashionable but with substance, worn with dark brown double monks from the Loake 1880 series, my interpretation of Casual Friday. And this suit came at a price of (converted) around 430$ retail. Yes, I'm wearing RLBL and Raffaele Caruso suits, too. And they are slightly better in every respect, one can not deny that. But they are substantially more expensive, too.

13. stu00a

stu00a Senior member

just checked their website and some of their suits have similar looks of isaia's.
    and i like their peak lapel suits, it's like made for poor souls who can't afford Tom Ford.

14. millevanille

millevanille Active Member

just checked their website...

So did I--LOL'd at the opening slideshow.

15. officeboy

officeboy Senior member

16. TRA8324

TRA8324 Senior member

So did I--LOL'd at the opening slideshow.
    the website is blocked at my work...

17. vncrz

vncrz Senior member

Forum member Ob5curity posts a lot of pics wearing SuitSupply on WAYWRN; can't say anything about the quality but the cut looks pretty decent for the price point.

18. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

very possibly true.

Perhaps fabrics matched up well and that is all they are looking at. I did not see much mention on canvassing.

I cant imagine a $614 suit hand made with fully canvassed construction utilizing the finest wools - sorry man, the $$$$$ dont add up. The minimum for such a well made suit is about $1.5K, but $614 is Joseph Abboud or Joseph A Bank price territory. Sorry, something has got to give or perhaps they do not pay their tailors (they work for free).

While Armani are grossly overpriced and their $3K suits are a bit over rated, they are still pretty decent and I would be immensely suprised if a $614 suit was equal or better. I could buy into an argument that a well made $1.5K suit could match up quality wise to Armani, but $614 = I highly doubt it.

19. bluesman528

bluesman528 Senior member

I cant imagine a $614 suit hand made with fully canvassed construction utilizing the finest wools - sorry man, the $$$$$ dont add up. The minimum for such a well made suit is about $1.5K, but $614 is Joseph Abboud or Joseph A Bank price territory. Sorry, something has got to give or perhaps they do not pay their tailors (they work for free).
    I think you overestimate the production costs of a suit, even if it's handmade with best construction and cloth available. Most of the retail price of every suit above 1,500$ is spent for bringing it to the customer, marketing campaigns, nicely decorated shops in top-rated city locations. If you want to find a customer for a suit with this price tag, you have to sell him more than just clothes. It has to be a status symbol, the customers have to feel in line with all the past and present VIP wearers of the brand.

Therefore you can't judge this by comparing the retail prices alone. Suit Supply is a no-nonsense, low cost brand with a kind of a pirate image in the european fashion industry, their clothes have to speak for themselves, so to say. With less marketing costs, cheaper shop locations and addressing another market segment they can be cheaper without the need to sacrifice certain quality aspects. And because they don't have much competition quality-wise in this segment at this time, they are able to grow.

But nevertheless you are right, the OTR Suit Supply suits are not hand made and they are only half canvassed (their MTM suits are fully canvassed, but naturally more expensive than 614$). I can say from my own knowledge that they are definitely not equal in quality to the Giorgio Armani Mainline or Zegna Couture or Kiton or RLPL or whatever in this league of RTW clothes. It would be ridiculous to suggest that. They are way better made than Armani Le Collezioni or Hugo Boss, though. From what I can say, they are quite on par with the mainlines of Paul Smith and Prada. They have a very good PQR, fine cloth from well-known italian manufacturers, above-average construction details and interesting cuts and designs, not more, not less.