• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

W's victory speech attire

wja

Reaction score
I'm not surprised that a wealthy man would wear a nice suit on such an occasion, but...wow. I was really struck by the way the fabric moved around on his back and sleeve. It seemed so supple. What sort of fabric does it take to do that? Any other observations on the suit?

InPa

Reaction score
Something looked "off" with the left shoulder - didn't drape as well as the right? Maybe it's just me - I have a rather sloped shoulder and seem to have that problem often so maybe I spend too much time looking for it.

wja

Reaction score
I noticed that too. He stood with his left shoulder higher and the camera didn't show us his right sleeve. It's hard to imagine that such a lovely garment could be assymetric.

armscye

Reaction score
Obviously the radio transceiver channeling Karl Rove's orders must have affected the fit...

bryce330

Reaction score
It's funny cus its probably true
Please... hasn't this nonsense been put to rest yet?

BTW, I didn't think Bush's suit was anything special. Among other things, the button stance was too low.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I didn't see the speech or the suit, but if this was a serious question, all Bush's suits are by Oxxford. (Since no one else has mentioned that yet).

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I didn't see the speech or the suit, but if this was a serious question, all Bush's suits are by Oxxford.
Not so. He also uses the (in)famous Georges de Paris, cutsom tailor in Washington DC. From what I've read, he wears more de Paris than Oxxford these days, but who knows.

wja

Reaction score
j, thanks for your comment. Being naive, I wonder what it was about my original question which suggested that it might not have been serious. This is a serious question since it appears that I have a lot to learn. Regards, Bill

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(imageWIS @ 03 Nov. 2004, 5:38) It's funny cus its probably true
Please... hasn't this nonsense been put to rest yet? BTW, I didn't think Bush's suit was anything special. Among other things, the button stance was too low.
I don't think its nonsense, especially from a sartorial point-of-view, since most people on the forum know that there is no way a "˜bulge' could be formed in that way by either a poorly tailor suit / shirt (and than the galls of the neo-cons to suggest that the president would wear such badly tailored clothing is a huge insult to the American public; which in turn says something for the gullibility of the public and their lack of sartorial knowledge). I was never for John Kerry, just anti-Bush. Jon.

ct2272

Reaction score
What is the general consensus as to the type of Oxxford suit?

What I mean by that is after reading this forum I believe the majority of my suits should be super 120s simply due to the durability afforded them.

However I am adding super 150s and was thinking about super 180s. I'm curious if anyone can make a statement like "yes, that looks like super 120s".

The delicacy of super 150s and 180s makes me believe they are to be worn on special occasions and not be part of my normal suit rotation. They are also relegated to the higher end Armani, Canali types of suits as well.

Regards,
CT

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I liked his suit yesterday; I do wish he'd try another tie, and preferably not a red one.
Also, that one didn't didn't look like an Oxxford to me.

I thought the bulge had been confirmed as visible evidence of a bullet-proof vest, which is not surprising, nor controversial.

From "The Hill" at Hillnews.com:
But sources in the Secret Service told The Hill that Bush was wearing a bulletproof vest, as he does most of the time when appearing in public. The president's handlers did not want to admit as much during the campaign, for fear of disclosing information related to his personal security while he was on the campaign trail.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Hmm, okay, not Oxxford. So can anyone answer the question, what kind of fabric does that look like?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Hmm, okay, not Oxxford. So can anyone answer the question, what kind of fabric does that look like?
Looks to me like just another dark worsted. It just doesn't strike me as that distinctive. Pretty standard political garb.

Alexis

Reaction score
I liked his suit yesterday; I do wish he'd try another tie, and preferably not a red one.
I wouldn't say that tie was red and I wouldn't say the suit looked very nice or moved well either:
electionslidethirteen1.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads