1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Wristwatches, left or right?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by AmericanDevil, Mar 12, 2002.

1. AmericanDevil

AmericanDevil Active Member

Should Wrist watches be worn on the left or right wrist, Ive always worn mine on the right because Im right handed, but everyone says the left is the norm?

2. BuddahLax

BuddahLax Active Member

I agree with them. Although I'm right handed I wear my watch on my left wrist.

3. RainCityClotheshound

RainCityClotheshound Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly,the rationale behind wearing the wrist watch on the non-dominant side was to prevent possible damage to the watch,by moving the watch to the arm less used. Less chance to hit the watch against something as you used the dominant hand.

4. Michael

Michael Senior member

when I see someone that's wearing their watch on the right arm, my first thought is "hey, there's a guy that doesn't know how to wear a watch."  but then I think, "Perhaps he's just left-handed, but he probably just doesn't know how to wear a watch."

Thank you.

5. Mike

Mike Senior member

I have to agree with Rain City. If you are right handed and were doing somthing it is easier to look at your left wrist and not have to put down your pen or hammer or stethascope(however you spell it.)down. Now the opposite would be true if you were left handed.

6. NavyStyles

NavyStyles Senior member

I'm sure you've-- by now-- gotten what these guys are saying, but I'd like to put in my two cents. Must be a contributing member to society... err, this forum. Anyway, I'm right-handed and I used to wear my watch on my right hand, then I switched to a pocket watch for a few years (still wear it some). A year ago, I realized I wanted a wrist watch again, and I wear it on the left wrist, so it doesn't hinder me in everyday business. It's got a black leather band so, I wear the pocket watch when I wear brown.

7. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

I'm right handed, and wear mine face up on the inside of the left arm. When I'm working, I roll my sleeves up. That way I don't have to turn my wrist or move my sleeve...But the sleeves only come up when a deadline for a project approaches. I deceive people into thinking I'm working hard- LOL. And I also match jewelry metal colors...How's that for anal?

8. j

j Senior member Admin

I hope noone thinks there is an actual 'rule' about which wrist to put one's watch on. Put it on the wrist that seems most comfortable and convenient and out of the way. Most people put it on their non-dominant ( submissive? [​IMG] ) hand, but that's probably because that's where they find it most convenient for the reasons people have already stated.

9. Jofaile

Jofaile Senior member

Steve: Matching the metal types and finishes is not anal. I am obsessive-compulsive by admission and match everything. I have even been known to be 15 minutes down the road heading for an event of some sort, work, or church and turn around just because I forgot to change my watch after I showered (I have like 14 now, I spend insane amounts of money on my watches ) so that it matches my belt buckle type. Wait, I suppose we are anal.

10. Buickguy

Buickguy Senior member

An interesting question and one I have seen many times.
    The general thought in times past was that the wristwatch was worn on the left wrist. It comes from a time of manual wind mechanical watches. The rational behind it was the design of the wristwatch with the crown at three o'clock. With the crown pointed away from the body, setting and winding of the watch was easily facilitated. Before the advent of quartz watches, mechanical watches required periodic setting even if wound on a daily basis. Even the fine mechanicals (like Rolex or Patek-Phillippe) of today require periodic resetting, usually once a week suffices. There was also the added benefit of having the stem down to prevent moisture from entering the timepiece. Pocket watches were better protected from the elements since they were meant to be worn in the vest pocket but the recommended way of wearing a pocket watch was with the crystal in towards the body, protecting the glass.

An interesting side note, there were wristwatches designed for the left handed person with the stem and crown at nine o'clock that were designed to be worn on the right wrist.

11. Homme

Homme Senior member

5 year old thread revival, nice [​IMG].

12. Buickguy

Buickguy Senior member

Would you believe I've spent the last five years researching this question? LOL
    [​IMG]

13. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

Is your watch a right-handed or left-handed watch?

14. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

An interesting question and one I have seen many times.
    The general thought in times past was that the wristwatch was worn on the left wrist. It comes from a time of manual wind mechanical watches. The rational behind it was the design of the wristwatch with the crown at three o'clock. With the crown pointed away from the body, setting and winding of the watch was easily facilitated. Before the advent of quartz watches, mechanical watches required periodic setting even if wound on a daily basis. Even the fine mechanicals (like Rolex or Patek-Phillippe) of today require periodic resetting, usually once a week suffices. There was also the added benefit of having the stem down to prevent moisture from entering the timepiece. Pocket watches were better protected from the elements since they were meant to be worn in the vest pocket but the recommended way of wearing a pocket watch was with the crystal in towards the body, protecting the glass.

An interesting side note, there were wristwatches designed for the left handed person with the stem and crown at nine o'clock that were designed to be worn on the right wrist.

Nice post.
    Thanks Buickguy

15. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

It's much easier for a right handed person to put a watch on his left wrist than his right. Or, maybe it's just me.

16. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

Tomasso, I agree. And being right handed, I figure that my left wrist is more protected. Less exposed to bumps and grinds. Why damage a good watch, if you don't have to?

17. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

The general thought in times past was that the wristwatch was worn on the left wrist. It comes from a time of manual wind mechanical watches. The rational behind it was the design of the wristwatch with the crown at three o'clock. With the crown pointed away from the body, setting and winding of the watch was easily facilitated.

Bingo. It was purely practical. It also pays to keep in mind that wristwatches were popularized by the military, where practicality is (supposed to be) everything.

18. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I dunno, I put my watch on my left wrist despite being ostensibly left handed. It's only annoying if you're taking a lot of notes or writing for a very long time because it becomes heavy. If it bothers me overly, I'll just switch to writing right handed, I'm more or less ambidextrous (a victim of being encouraged to write right handed as a kid) anyways.

19. Razeus

Razeus Senior member

I'm a lefty but I wear mine on my left wrist. It just feels awkard on my right arm no matter how many times I've tried it.

Besides, I notice girls check out my wrist as I'm writing my/their phone number down when I'm on the prowl. Clever, I know.

20. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I am right-handed and wear it on the right wrist.