Wrist watches

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by PearlJamFan, Mar 18, 2005.

1. PearlJamFan

PearlJamFan Member

Im looking to buy a nice wristwatche, but I dont have a clue what to look for. Im not looking to spend a lot of money, and I think im going to end up buying it on ebay.

What types of brands should I be looking at? I only want to spend around $150-$200

2. ernest

ernest Senior member

How can one buy a nice watch for $200 ?

The best value for price seems to be Seiko

3. demo5

demo5 Senior member

At that price, your talking about fashion only, not quality. I think Skaagen makes a watch that looks nicer than it is at that price.

4. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Nah, Seiko makes some great watches in that price range. You should be able to get both the orange and black monsters for that price and both are outstanding watches that are extremely durable and reliable.

5. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Senior member

At that price point, you cannot get quality looking watch at a retail level (may be on eBay).

I believe a quality watch must have a casing that is made of a solid block of metal. A cheap watch will use plastic or metal look a like meterial for the casing.

6. lisapop

lisapop Senior member

You can't go wrong with the Seiko Black Monster, which I own. I go back and forth debating the merit of costlier watches (a potential WIS), but I keep reverting back to a friend's summation of all watches as basically clever gadgets. All the more disposable funds for clothes. http://www.watcharama.com/skc017.htm Grayson

7. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

(PearlJamFan @ Mar. 18 2005,08:19) Im looking to buy a nice wristwatche, but I dont have a clue what to look for. Im not looking to spend a lot of money, and I think im going to end up buying it on ebay. What types of brands should I be looking at? I only want to spend around $150-$200
    At that price point, you cannot get quality looking watch at a retail level (may be on eBay). I believe a quality watch must have a casing that is made of a solid block of metal. A cheap watch will use plastic or metal look a like meterial for the casing.
    As previously mentioned, Seiko makes great watches in this price point, some with mechanical movements.

8. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

To begin with, you probably need to narrow down what style of watch you are seeking. Dress watch, sports watch, chronometer, digital calculator watch [​IMG] , etc. That will help in the seeking of recommendations. For those who scoff at the price range, while he may not be able to pick up a Patek Phillipe, he'll certainly be able to find something nice that looks good for a 17-year old. Bradford

9. William Massena

William Massena Well-Known Member

I am somewhat flabbergasted, for a WIS (and I don't claim to be one), wearing a Seiko monster with a suit (regardless of brand or make) is like wearing Converse High tops with a suit from Raphael. To be honest, when I walk the street here in NY, I first look at the watch, then the shoes, and finally the suit. I have seen so many well dress men with pathetic watches. This is where the Milanese style discussed lately makes the difference from trad or Savile Row, these guys know the importance of a decent watch. As to recommend a watch in a $200 range, the Hamilton Khaki on a strap is about that price, on steel bracelet a bit more. The Seiko Monster looks good only with a diving suit. William Massena

10. KevinR

KevinR Well-Known Member

Maybe you could look for something vintage like an old Hamilton.

11. Matt

Matt [email protected]

ive been really happy with my Skagen. Well within budget here.

Barely lost a minute in years, looks great, i still get compliments on it.

12. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

I would absolutely look at Hamilton. For a little over $200, you can get a nice looking brand new Hamilton automatic with convex sapphire crystal, visible movement, leather strap, and pretty nice detail on the face. I own the Hamilton King Khaki, which I think I bought new for like $240. It's a great casual watch to complement my dressier IWC.

13. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

14. thelakes

thelakes Active Member

Tissot also makes watches in this range in quite a bit of styles.

15. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I would recomend hamilton, they have some nice, simple watches at good prices.