• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wrinkling Cuffs

wizardai

Reaction score
I've been searching around and can't find a satisfactory solution to my problem. For some reason, my cuffs are wrinkling really bad. So, I wash my shirts at the end of the week, but I have at least 3 weeks worth of shirts. So once washed, I hang dry them. Once dried (following day), I iron them.

So lately, I've started to notice they wrinkle at the cuffs. It's a problem because they look bad if I don't catch them. This hasn't happened before.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
pictures??

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't even visualise what is happening. Pictures and a better explanation of what you are doing to create the problem

wizardai

Reaction score
here you go. it may not be visable but the wrinkles are bad/deep

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just iron them.

Jackie Treehorn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
So I guess I'll ask the obvious question: when you iron your shirts, do you iron your cuffs?

Truth be told, the "wrinkling" of which you speak doesn't look all that egregious in your pics. Just wash and iron 'em. Use a tiny bit of starch on the cuffs and collar if you're especially concerned about their crispness.

wizardai

Reaction score
Well, the issue is when I iron them, the cuffs don't iron without wrinkles anymore. Almost as if they're set, or the inside is damaged.

So before, when I would iron for the week, I could put the shirt out sans issues. But now, regardless of what day (1-5) i put them on after ironing, the cuffs are really wrinkled.

Is it because I'm ironing them with steam? Or not using starch on them anymore?

can't seem to figure it out.

wizardai

Reaction score
I know they don't look bad in the picture, but you can visibly see how they look in person. So I was using starch on them and then realized one day, cuffs don't need as much attention as the collar - I was running out of starch and just saved it for the collar. But that was over a month ago haha! So now I have this issue. So yes, I do iron them (and everything else).

So I guess I'll ask the obvious question: when you iron your shirts, do you iron your cuffs?

Truth be told, the "wrinkling" of which you speak doesn't look all that egregious in your pics. Just wash and iron 'em. Use a tiny bit of starch on the cuffs and collar if you're especially concerned about their crispness.

Last edited:

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like either the interfacing or the thread has shrunk more than the shirt fabric.

wizardai

Reaction score
So taking them to the dry cleaners might not help huh if that is the case?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
iron when the shirt is damp. Stretch the cuffs before you start to iron. Press the inside of cuff first and press from the outer edges to the center of the cuff, stretching the cuff as you go. Leave the iron on the cloth long enough to dry the area you are pressing.

wizardai

Reaction score
Sounds like a plan, I will try this and let you guys know if you're interested!

Thanks for everyone's input!

iron when the shirt is damp. Stretch the cuffs before you start to iron. Press the inside of cuff first and press from the outer edges to the center of the cuff, stretching the cuff as you go. Leave the iron on the cloth long enough to dry the area you are pressing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads