Wrinkled ties...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by JohnMS, Nov 17, 2004.

1. JohnMS

JohnMS Senior member

I just received three new ties from eBay. Unfortunately the seller didn't pack them well and they are somewhat wrinkled. Will just hanging them for a few days take the wrinkles out or are there some suggestions out there short of using a steamer (I don't own one) or taking them to the cleaners?

2. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Check out this thread first. http://www.styleforum.net/cgi-bin....4;st=10 Personally, I would say start with hanging them. If its really bad you may want to hang them in the bathroom while you shower. Chuck is a big fan of Steaming. then laying flat (i think in between two towels) I dont think that the cleaners is necessary. Serves ya right for buying ties from ebay...Hmphh...None of Mine ever come creased... [​IMG] JJF

3. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

Just use the steam from an iron (don't touch the tie with the iron though). Smooth the wrinkles out with your (uncallassed) hand while the fabric takes the steam. Works like a charm -- BUT DON'T TOUCH THE FABRIC WITH THE IRON...

4. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Wait...should I touch the tie with the iron? [​IMG] Jon. On a serious note, what if you have a cloth on top of the tie and iron the cloth, thus the tie?

5. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

No, don't do that either. YOu don't want to press the edges down -- they should be rolled. You wouldn't ever press a lapel would you?

6. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

I should introduce you to my former dry cleaner.

7. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

You also don't want to press it because you will end up with a large line down the front of your tie from where the two sides come together in the back.

8. acole

acole Senior member

If you do the "hang in bathroom while showering" bit, do not allow any drops of water to get on the silk.  It'll dissolve the sizing and leave you with an ugly, indelible water spot (guess how I know this [​IMG] ).  If you plan to use a steam iron or steamer, make sure it's not the sort that drips.

9. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Supposedly, you can rub the water spot with another part of the silk of the same tie, and it will magically disappear. Never tried it, though.

10. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Steaming with a good steamer should do the trick.

11. acole

acole Senior member

Yes, I received and tried that suggestion for the tie at issue. Â I guess the object is to redistribute the sizing; unfortunately, it didn't work for me. Â One of my favorites, it was, too--a pumpkin-orange Zegna with small woven blue squares. Â Gentlemen, don't let this happen to you. Tie shopping has been the most frustrating aspect of my eBay experience. Â I won a positively cynosural chartreuse Charvet herringbone a while back; it arrived in a soft envelope, and resembled nothing so much as a balled-up newspaper. Â The "shower treatment" and 3+ months of hanging have done little to remove the creases. Â [​IMG]