Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Wrinkled canvas

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by Aloysius16, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Aloysius16

Aloysius16 Senior member

I bought a second hand RL black label suit with full canvas. The problem is that the canvas around the chest area, on one side more than the other, has got a lot of horizontal wrinkling. I have tried presssing the front but this does nothing to sort the wrinkles in the canvas under the cloth.Is this unrepairable damage?

2. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

Picture?

3. stubloom

stubloom Senior member

"I have tried pressing the front".

To attempt an answer to your question, you need to explain what was done and by whom.

4. Aloysius16

Aloysius16 Senior member

Hopefully these pictures show the issue. It's hard to photograph because it is the wrinkles in the canvas not the cloth. They show particularly under direct lamplight, and that's what I have pictured.

I did the 'press' myself, using a cotton covering cloth and a steam iron, following advice found here and elsewhere. It removed wrinkles from the wool, but the canvas has the same issue.I don't know if a professional press would be the difference, or if the nature of the problem simply can't be corrected.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Aloysius16

Aloysius16 Senior member

6. stubloom

stubloom Senior member

This additional information is helpful.

It's important to understand that steam -- indiscriminately applied -- is evil (credit for that term to Chris Despos).

The reason your canvas bubbled is that "steaming" is not "pressing".

When you steam a jacket, you're adding moisture. Moisture -- alone -- can (and, in this case, did) bubble the canvas.

When you press a jacket, you're adding steam to relax the fibers and then using vacuum to extract the moisture. The application of moisture immediately followed by vacuum to dry the fabric and canvas will cure the problem. Unfortunately, standard ironing boards don't have a built in vacuum.

I suggest that you take the jacket to a professional dry cleaner who knows what they're doing. They should be able to fix the problem.

As regards the comment that you followed the advise found on SF and elsewhere, I'd respectfully disagree. What you've read is the conventional wisdom and, as usual, the conventional wisdom is always wrong.

The notion that you can "press" a garment with "steam" is a myth.

Learn more here: http://ravefabricare.com/wp-content...apers-Steaming-your-fine-garments-01-SING.pdf

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017