• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wrangler is Better than Levi's

TC11201

Reaction score
I suppose it would be my 3sixteen SL-100x or the SL-100xk (which is just the unsanforized version of the sanforized SL-100x). I don't think they go with sport coats (I don't really wear denim with sport coats often enough anyway). But I think the cut is fairly versatile across a wide range of casualwear wardrobes. As a result of that, I mostly bring those when I travel, so I have some fond memories associated with those jeans -- traveling to Canada to see my family, living in Russia, visiting Italy, climbing the Great Wall of China, etc.

At the moment, I mostly wear RRL. But if I had to throw away every pair except for one, I would probably keep the 3sixteens for those reasons. They're more versatile and I have positive memories associated with my particular pairs.
+1 on 3sixteen, LVC and RRL. Sl-100x and st-120xk, LVC 505 1967 raw, RRL 1 wash slim straight. The sl-100s are about 12 years old, have probably been worn at least once a week for most of that time and are still going strong. Some fraying here and there, a few loose threads, but still up for 1-2x weekly wear. And the LVCs are like steel. Hard as nails at first, but after about 6 years of weekly wear and wash, nicely broken in.

Hard to beat the cost per wear on a great pair of jeans...

jmiller123

Reaction score
I thinned the herd and now I think I'm down to just four pairs, all from Blackhorse Lane Ateliers. My favourites are the super-heavy ones, maybe 19oz or so (think they don't make them any more). They're all indigo and slowly fading, except one pair, which I bleached to a sort of bright blue wash.

Oh no wait, I still have a double-black pair I got from Tenue de Nimes here in Amsterdam, but I usually just wear those to demos, to blend in. So five in total.

I'm contemplating an ecru/natural pair now but not sure really. Maybe a beige in one of those undied naturally coloured cottons might be subtler, but for some reason I want to continue buying from BLA. Also, I normally buy jeans in person (I used to go to the BLA factory in Walthamstow before they had a proper store, though the first pair I got from Drakes) but I've not been to London since 2019 and it bugs me that British stuff now comes with import taxes. It's psychological really: Brexit feels like a slap in the face. But I digress.
thumbnail_IMG_5367.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_5369.jpg

I bought a pair of the NW1 in the Japanese denim from BLA recently. They are done extremely well, probably the finest denim I've handled. Unfortunately I didn't size correctly (I went TTS whereas I should have gone down one), and took them to a local tailor, who did a pretty poor job taking them in. Very bummed and unfortunately chalking them up as a loss but I will probably get another pair at some point. Now looking into makers such as Warehouse, Fullcount, etc for my next pair.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
since we're talking about RRL somewhat now..., I would just say I really like RRL Low straight and sometimes slim. I have both made in USA and made in China, can't tell the difference from my side. The only other jeans I have is W&B think it's made in china, but again zero complain.

95% of my "casual" pants are RRL (chino/jeans/more workwear type of cord pants), remaining being like beat to death incotex, and some eidos

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Apart the Lee 21 oz (i posted a picture before), here are my favorites :

LVC 1962 551zxx in Cone Mills denim
View attachment 1606593

Lee Riders 1952 (James Dean wore them IRL and in some movies), from Lee Archives Japan, with my son's Lee Riders (well he is 10 now, so it doesn't fit anymore hey)
View attachment 1606594

So i've got two Lee Riders 1952 repros from the Lee Archives, in Japanese denim (i suppose). I didn't buy them the same year, they are slightly different. (patch, button, and tag color)
View attachment 1606596
View attachment 1606598

One of those and Lee Riders from Lee Europe in Cone Mills raw denim (interesting, raw like the 21 oz, but usually the Lees are sanforized - i think they might have invented the process but i'm not sure)
View attachment 1606601
The Lee Riders Europe are based on the 1959 model (7 belt loops, the 1952 has 5 belt loops. No, i am not a denimhead.)

Nice!

TC11201

Reaction score
since we're talking about RRL somewhat now..., I would just say I really like RRL Low straight and sometimes slim. I have both made in USA and made in China, can't tell the difference from my side. The only other jeans I have is W&B think it's made in china, but again zero complain.

95% of my "casual" pants are RRL (chino/jeans/more workwear type of cord pants), remaining being like beat to death incotex, and some eidos
Off topic, but I think the RRL officer chinos are the ideal chino at least to me. Slim without looking absurd, comfortable top block, soften fabrics. Just wish there were more colors and that the sizing wasn’t so vain (i find I have to drop 2 full inches in the waist).

apologies for the thread diversion...

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
there are actual multiple version of RRL Chino, I think the vanity size 2 you were referring were the "old" (for lack of better description) one, there is also a "slim" RRL officer chino that's TTS and leg opening is like 7.5" rather than 8~8.25" (then of course there is regulation chino etc.).

I have both the slim and "old/regular", I like both for different application

TC11201

Reaction score
there are actual multiple version of RRL Chino, I think the vanity size 2 you were referring were the "old" (for lack of better description) one, there is also a "slim" RRL officer chino that's TTS and leg opening is like 7.5" rather than 8~8.25" (then of course there is regulation chino etc.).

I have both the slim and "old/regular", I like both for different application
my understanding is that there is the officer chino, which has the vanity sizing, a ‘slim fit’ chino, which is tts (at least the ones I tried were) and the field chino (or something like that), which is both vanity sized and wider legged. Mine are recent vintage officer chinos with I think an ~8” hem (at least on the tagged size 32 waist). Those are the ones that to me at least are exceptionally well proportioned. I found the slim fit too slim and the field chino a bit too traditionally sized.

northernbloke12345

Reaction score
it's still the same garment...

in what ways do you think the 501 is materially different from say 1965?
No, do some research, the cut of the leg, rise and fabric will be different, hence it's not the same thing whatsoever.

I do think wranglers and lee's are better these day's too.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I agree with you on difficult to tell the difference, but it does sort of piss me off that they don't at least "share" what I am assuming are significant labor cost savings with customers in the form of slightly lower prices. Instead, most RRL selvedge denim is almost obscenely priced now, mostly with a 4 handle and approaching $500 when tax is factored in

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
RRL pricing has definitely gone to some crazy level (even on sale), though the “basic” are still ok...

apd90700

Reaction score
Levi 511 was one of the better fit for me in this price bracket, but to each their own.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, do some research, the cut of the leg, rise and fabric will be different, hence it's not the same thing whatsoever.

I do think wranglers and lee's are better these day's too.

not inclined to argue with folks who can't figure out how to size stf 501s,

your own point is what? the 501 is adjusted every 10-12 years or so it's a living product. hey maybe do some *research*.

so brain trust when did the 501 start being *fake*? after the last lvc edition? lol

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what, nobody? i mean... if the differences make such fatal distinctions then 47s would be totally fugazi compared to the 33s no?

give me a ******* break. LOL

northernbloke12345

Reaction score
Living product my arse, if they **** about with the cut of the leg, fabric and rise then it's not the same product, even i can figure this out and i banged me head too much as a young un.

Why are people making up excuses for inconsistent product, companies have to earn your trust like what was said on here earlier.

BPL Esq

Reaction score
Ordered a pair of 3sixteen jeans based on the recommendation of @dieworkwear. They arrived today. They seem to be high quality and I have no issue with the recommendation, but I'm very confused and somewhat angry with myself. Based on my usual size in Nudie jeans, etc., and the company's indication that their jeans are true to size, I ordered them in my normal size (34). These are their straight leg (SL) jeans that are advertised as having room up top with a taper from the knee down.

I had to triple check all the tags to see if there had been some mistake. It seems as though I'm trying to put on a child's jeans. They are extremely tight with what seems like a pretty low rise, and I can't even come close to pulling them all the way up or buttoning them. No problem with my other jeans of the same waist size. I thought maybe I got the slim tapered ones by mistake. Nope. These are just comically small.

The reason I'm mad at myself is that since they were my usual size and the fit description sounded great, I paid extra to have them hemmed. So they're non-returnable. Wonderful. My fault, but wow, I didn't expect this.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads