• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wrangler is Better than Levi's

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Levi’s became synonymous with rebel culture post war. James Dean and Marlon Brando turned the brand into something iconic.

I don’t think Levi’s has since branded itself as anything but cool and urban. Even during the Jordache era, Levi’s were worn by punk rockers.

Two different companies with different marketing strategies. Wrangler did seem to acquire a few cool points a couple of years ago thanks to “Old Town Road”, but it didn’t seem to use it as a spring board into a new market.

As for bedazzled jeans, I’m not sure I quite follow that as “fashion”. About a decade ago Von Dutch (a motorcycle mod company) got big with their denim, there was Diesel and of course True Religion but today’s landscape is more subdued and artisanal.

The Japanese brands certainly pay homage to the traditional cuts and overall aesthetic and then their are also the discount brands like UniQlo.

So one can certainly look past the 501 and still fall on the conservative side of the ledger. After all, odds are those “fashion” jeans basically use the 501 DNA.

apd90700

Reaction score
I don't know anything about cars, so I can't say. It would be easier for me to understand cars if people compared cars to fashion, than it is for me to understand fashion by people comparing clothes to cars.

If someone said "KIA is the Allen Edmonds of cars," I'd say, "ah, got it."
Mmmm. Not sure, thinking Meermin is like Hyundai maybe. KIA would probably be like Allen Edmonds seconds under a different brand name, and with better quality control. Allen Edmonds would probably be like Ford.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mmmm. Not sure, thinking Meermin is like Hyundai maybe. KIA would probably be like Allen Edmonds seconds under a different brand name, and with better quality control. Allen Edmonds would probably be like Ford.

Allen Edmonds is becoming the AMC Gremlin of shoes.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

*nods along*

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Levi’s became synonymous with rebel culture post war. James Dean and Marlon Brando turned the brand into something iconic.

I don’t think Levi’s has since branded itself as anything but cool and urban. Even during the Jordache era, Levi’s were worn by punk rockers.

Two different companies with different marketing strategies. Wrangler did seem to acquire a few cool points a couple of years ago thanks to “Old Town Road”, but it didn’t seem to use it as a spring board into a new market.

As for bedazzled jeans, I’m not sure I quite follow that as “fashion”. About a decade ago Von Dutch (a motorcycle mod company) got big with their denim, there was Diesel and of course True Religion but today’s landscape is more subdued and artisanal.

The Japanese brands certainly pay homage to the traditional cuts and overall aesthetic and then their are also the discount brands like UniQlo.

So one can certainly look past the 501 and still fall on the conservative side of the ledger. After all, odds are those “fashion” jeans basically use the 501 DNA.

apd90700

Reaction score
Allen Edmonds is becoming the AMC Gremlin of shoes.
I'm new to menswear. Took me all of maybe a day's research to identify a trend, where AE was once the go to American entry level shoe brand, but have since let competition really bypass them and make them something that newer menswear enthusiasts possibly purchase based on recommendation, and those who do research find better quality for cheaper prices.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

interesting. Thanks for the post. I didn’t realize they were Lee jeans.

I based my information on things I had previously seen:

1620671711674.jpeg

1620671777417.jpeg

1620671826294.jpeg

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
interesting. Thanks for the post. I didn’t realize they were Lee jeans.

I based my information on things I had previously seen:

View attachment 1607690

View attachment 1607692

View attachment 1607694
I suppose Dean wore Levi’s too... but his Lee Riders jeans style is well known.

in « The wild one » Brando do wear 501s, but as you can’t see any arcuates on the back pockets in the movie it puzzled me a long time.
Until I realized he wore the 501s made during the war, with painted arcuates(to economize thread) that faded quickly...

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Plus...
Brett Favre doing Wrangler commercials on daytime tv breaks really doesn't add the brand much caché.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A client bought an existing clothing company and jeans are part of their line. He bought every make of jeans he could find to research what was in the market and came to the same conclusion about Wrangler. They learned more from the Wrangler jeans to improve their own.

Best make of Levi's, IMO, is their "Made and Crafted" line

I think LVC is very well done. At least where their jeans are concerned. Haven't bought a pair of non-LVC jeans in 2 decades

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think LVC is very well done. At least where their jeans are concerned. Haven't bought a pair of non-LVC jeans in 2 decades

How old is the LVC range? Didn't know it was more than 2 decades...

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That was even before the Engineered range became popular in my country (Spain). Levi's were popular probably since the 70's but not sure if before. My first pair was probably a 501 shrink to fit (don't recall if selvedge) to shrank so badly after the first wash that I couldn't wear them anymore. I was 12 or 13 years old and my mother had never saw a jean like that one haha

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads