• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wrangler is Better than Levi's

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
These are on Amazon, not $200 but I do not know how these fit. Like old style? https://www.amazon.com/Levis-Mens-O...words=levis+made+in+usa&qid=1620663392&sr=8-8

No, but at $69, I just want to say ...... nice

Screen Shot 2021-05-10 at 9.23.41 AM.png

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Levi's = cool kids
wrangler & lee = your family is poor and you shop at Walmart
So true when I was in school...
You wore 501s or Levi corduroy.
If you saw someone wearing Wrangler or Lee, you assumed they received government cheese.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Well I browsed the Levi’s site yesterday and did not see this model, it would have been nice to.
Look in the Levi’s Vintage Clothing sub brand. They have several 501 cuts listed but it seems they’re no longer made in the US either.

BB11

Reaction score
Look in the Levi’s Vintage Clothing sub brand. They have several 501 cuts listed but it seems they’re no longer made in the US either.
I did just find it, thank you.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Not my term but those fancy embroidery on the pockets, any jeans not designed for me like old Levis, Lee’s & Wranglers. Even the old Seafarer Jean bellbottoms from the ‘60’s were not regular jeans but fit a nitch, like navy bell bottoms. I am not a young guy and anything called Dress Jeans would be Fashion jeans to me. Jeans are not in my small world for dress wear. But I am more of a retro guy still longing for the old MIA Champion Sweats Of my youth.
Spot on about the arcuates. Coolest are Lee and Levi’s. I don’t like the « no arcuates » look or the weird ones.

@vdubiv we don’t give a f here if your wife and U associate Lee and Wrangler to Walmart and « poor kids », we find them cool here, there are a lot of American tourists that like French brands that are really daft actually ! ?

Exotism is important I suppose...

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So true when I was in school...
You wore 501s or Levi corduroy.
If you saw someone wearing Wrangler or Lee, you assumed they received government cheese.
exactly, or your family shopped at the thrifts, before that was some how "cool".

It's a different world we're living in these days and I'm not that old .... <40!

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not really cool to look down on « poor people » and to judge them on their clothes...
Well each to his own...
no judging here, just stating more how my view on the brands was growing up, remember I'm talking more grade school / high school days, and we all know how judgmental those years were. FWIW until I started working and making my own money and clothing purchases I wore Lee/Wrangler because that's what my family could afford.

BB11

Reaction score
Not really cool to look down on « poor people » and to judge them on their clothes...
Well each to his own...
Agree. We never associated brand with socioeconomic position in the world. My college roommate was from NJ, like myself his father was a truck driver but his father past away young. He wore Wranglers to my Levi’s, he looked great in them, the fit was perfect. I wish I could have looked that good in any Jean. Economic background never played a role for me in which Jean to wear. I wore Levi’s because it was the popular brand, I also had Wranglers for when I was in an agricultural college hoping to get into vet school. I really don’t remember looking at a brand someone wore and equating it with their family’s income. I know at Morton’s Army and Navy Levis was just the most popular brand and what they carried the most of. I even wore their wheat colored jeans with weejuns, again in the 1960’s. That was just the style, even kids like myself that had to save our own money for jeans wore these. My parents gave us what they could, sometimes I wanted more so I worked and earned the money to buy those things, like the electric guitar I wanted.....

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The WSJ had an article a while ago about the partisan divide between Levi's and Wrangler. Not really surprising for those familiar with American culture. Wrangler is more of a mid-western jean. Something you're more likely to see at rodeos. Levi's is more popular in cities. As an effect of this, Democrats are more likely to wear Levi's and Republicans are more likely to wear Wrangler.

I think Wrangler is more associated with "country folk." And generally speaking, if you dress like country folk in the city, you're likely to be less well off, economically speaking. I don't think this means you can't wear Wranglers in a cool way (I own two pairs of Wrangler jeans and like them). But there are certain social connotations to clothes.

apd90700

Reaction score
The WSJ had an article a while ago about the partisan divide between Levi's and Wrangler. Not really surprising for those familiar with American culture. Wrangler is more of a mid-western jean. Something you're more likely to see at rodeos. Levi's is more popular in cities. As an effect of this, Democrats are more likely to wear Levi's and Republicans are more likely to wear Wrangler.

I think Wrangler is more associated with "country folk." And generally speaking, if you dress like country folk in the city, you're likely to be less well off, economically speaking. I don't think this means you can't wear Wranglers in a cool way (I own two pairs of Wrangler jeans and like them). But there are certain social connotations to clothes.

So Wrangler is like driving a beater pickup truck. You see people in the City doing it, but definitely there's a lot of people in the rural areas driving mudded trucks over other modes of transportation.

Levi is like driving a SUV.

Lee is like driving a KIA in either style of vehicle?

BB11

Reaction score

You said “I don't think this means you can't wear Wranglers in a cool way (I own two pairs of Wrangler jeans and like them). But there are certain social connotations to clothes.”.

To be honest the thought never was in my awareness. To me Lee, Levi’s and Wranglers wee just jeans from my youth with Levi’s being what we saw most. As mentioned above I did not grow up in an upper middle class or upper class household, my town was not upper class, sure some families had more than others but as kids we were more interested in the sneakers worn, Cons, Pro Keds or skiffs. Nobody wore skiffs past grammar school.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So Wrangler is like driving a beater pickup truck. You see people in the City doing it, but definitely there's a lot of people in the rural areas driving mudded trucks over other modes of transportation.

Levi is like driving a SUV.

Lee is like driving a KIA in either style of vehicle?

I don't know anything about cars, so I can't say. It would be easier for me to understand cars if people compared cars to fashion, than it is for me to understand fashion by people comparing clothes to cars.

If someone said "KIA is the Allen Edmonds of cars," I'd say, "ah, got it."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads