• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wrangler is Better than Levi's

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are a ton of options nowadays for nice jeans that aren't cheapo Walmart or $300 Iron Hearts. Unbranded, Gustin, and others sell raw selvedge jeans for under $100. Not that everything has to be raw or selvedge, but the fabric and make are going to feel better than any of the brands mentioned so far -- mainline Levis, Wrangler, and Lee.
Thanks much. ?

But, completely uninformed ? from one who only ever bought Lee, Levi's, Wrangler in real stores:
Can one even try on those other brands you mention somewhere?

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dog lovers would deny that, but:
We all know for a fact that Lukaku is better than Ibra.

Whoa, whoa, whoa...

While I think very, very highly of Lukaku, Ibrahimovic has been a monster wherever he's gone. Scoring goals and winning trophies that consistently is not a fluke. I'll bet he could even score wearing Lee's (to keep things on topic).

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't understand CM guys who spend all day reading about spalla camicia, buy $1,000 shoes from Budapest after asking random strangers about sizing, and buy tailored clothes that have to be specially hand pressed to retain their shape, but they talk about "nice jeans" as if it's some weird special world only for "denimheads." Like, being into tailored clothing is 10x stranger and requires more commitment and money in every way. Tailored trousers also don't last as long. You buy $200 grey flannel trousers ($1,000 if you go bespoke) and they wear out after a couple of years. Raw denim jeans last forever unless you're a laborer. They also look better patched up.

I think Nordstrom used to carry Unbranded, but I don't know if they still do. There may be other mass-market retailers who carry them. Gustin is pre-order only, as they operate on a crowdfunding model. I mostly buy jeans from Self Edge.

LVC 1947 501s are a very CM-friendly cut. It's a mid-rise, slim-straight style that will fit in well with a lot of CM type clothing. I think they're about $200. 3sixteen's SL-100x is popularly recommended on denim boards. They're also a slim-straight cut and about $200.

Adsky Luck

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Japan repro denim makers can't even make decent bar tacks "at points of strength", and their seams are rubbish

attachment.php

as is their construction and design aesthetics

attachment.php

Not to mention that raw denim is going to paint your rear blue and also furniture and car cushions.

Also, you can make holes in them pretty quickly.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Do you actually not understand, or is this just a passive aggressive way of saying you think that point of view is dumb/wrong?

Both?

I can understand why someone doesn't want to wear jeans. It may not be part of their style and/ or not fit into their lifestyle.

But if you already spend so much time online buying tailored clothing, and doing all this nuanced stuff with up-keep, and you wear jeans, why would it be strange to buy jeans online and/ or have special care techniques for denim? Tailored clothing has to be regularly hand pressed. Most of us buy our tailored clothing and dress shoes online. If you buy clothes from tailors, you may have to wait a year for delivery and go in for multiple fittings. This seems much more complicated than buying a pair of jeans online.

Reminds me of Manton. I was surprised to learn that, on weekends, he wears cargo shorts and Crocs. Just seems weird to go from the heights of tailored clothing and then not care at all about the rest of your wardrobe.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whoa, whoa, whoa...

While I think very, very highly of Lukaku, Ibrahimovic has been a monster wherever he's gone. Scoring goals and winning trophies that consistently is not a fluke. I'll bet he could even score wearing Lee's (to keep things on topic).
Scudetto Serie A 2021

+

???

:smile:

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Japan repro denim makers can't even make decent bar tacks "at points of strength", and their seams are rubbish

attachment.php

as is their construction and design aesthetics

attachment.php

Not to mention that their selvedge is going to paint your rear blue and also furniture and car cushions.

Which however doesn't obscure who they stole it from
Those are not « repros ». Rather « Takes » maybe.
I understand « repro » as a faithful reproduction of an existing item.

Adsky Luck

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I believe they are repros, flat heads via Self Edge and Samurais.
Faithful reproduction was outlawed in about 2007 when Levi's sued them

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I believe they are repros, flat heads via Self Edge and Samurais

I wouldn't call Flat Head a repro company. Agree they're more about "takes" on vintage workwear.

I have a pair of their jeans. I've never had a problem with their bar tacks. The main thing about them is that they get specially woven denim that results in higher contrast fades.

Jeans don't make your rear blue unless you wear your jeans inside out. But it's true that raw denim can crock. You can wear them for a while in the backyard -- maybe a week -- and then give them a soak afterwards, which will solve the problem.

Adsky Luck

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
repro was in the 1990s and prior to 2007, after 2007 it's post-repro
but still out of force of habit some people refer to them as repros as did I

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both?

I can understand why someone doesn't want to wear jeans. It may not be part of their style and/ or not fit into their lifestyle.

But if you already spend so much time online buying tailored clothing, and doing all this nuanced stuff with up-keep, and you wear jeans, why would it be strange to buy jeans online and/ or have special care techniques for denim? Tailored clothing has to be regularly hand pressed. Most of us buy our tailored clothing and dress shoes online. If you buy clothes from tailors, you may have to wait a year for delivery and go in for multiple fittings. This seems much more complicated than buying a pair of jeans online.

Reminds me of Manton. I was surprised to learn that, on weekends, he wears cargo shorts and Crocs. Just seems weird to go from the heights of tailored clothing and then not care at all about the rest of your wardrobe.

This all makes sense. I certainly wouldn’t hesitate to but jeans online.

I guess for me jeans fit into the category of clothes that I only wear if I don’t care how I look. So paying a bunch of money for jeans, or buying jeans that require special care, doesn’t make sense. I would say my attitude towards tshirts is the same...I buy cheap ones that I can wear when I’m running around the neighborhood after my kid. But if I was going out to dinner with friends I’d never wear one. I’m always going to pick a pair of fatigue pants, or chinos or cords over wearing jeans out and about.

I like tailoring. But I also need clothes that are fuss free. Random stuff that I wear around the house can’t come with an instruction manual like a gremlin.

suitedcboy

Reaction score
Jeans do not have to be this hard. I have worn Wrangler 13MWZ cowboy cut boot jeans for 50 years. I still buy them at a local place for $27.95 or 19.95 for irregulars that have a thread knot or other minor flaw that is inconsequential after a couple of washings. Washings in a regular washer and then tossed into the dryer. My "dress" jeans go to the laundry and get starched as stiff as they can get them as that is how they are worn in cowboy country. I get prewashed (not buckshot or stone washed or....) and don't have issues with bluing of the upholstery or my person.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bo and Luke Duke wore them some Wranglers........especially when wrasslin' with Boss Hogg and dem boys like Roscoe P. Coltrane!

What's all the fuss and debate 'bout??

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads