1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

WP writer's manhood is secure after Cargo's demise

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by justlurkingthanks, Apr 11, 2006.

1. justlurkingthanks

justlurkingthanks Senior Member

Thought you folks might be interested in this Washington Post writer's take (click on second page) on the demise of Cargo. In it he quotes himself as he cutely quasi-claims to have killed the magazine: "Maybe it was our observation that Cargo 'might be the worst idea for a magazine in human history.' Or maybe it was our call for men to boycott Cargo in order to 'strike a blow against foppery, frippery, metrosexuality, the commercialization of everything and the wimpification of America.' "

Kind of pathetic how twisted his panties get over this.

2. someoneNew

someoneNew Senior Member

It's over!?
    Ugh, I'm subscribed to it and actually often prefer it over the rest of the men's mags (not as if we have a great selection); GQ, Esquire, Details, etc..
    It is a decent mag for men who don't want to see only fashion that you need to be an exec to afford or those who don't need to see continuous scantily clad chicks on the cover.
    Lame.

3. StevenRocks

StevenRocks Senior Member

It's not often I read The Washington Post and get annoyed, but this guy is a cretin of the first order. Cargo was fluff, but I thought it at least made for interesting bathroom reading.

4. Teacher

Teacher Stylish Dinosaur

I wasn't terribly excited about Cargo; nor am I horribly upset that it's gone. That being said, this guy has some kind of serious self-image problem. Could it be that this writer is embarassed by his shockingly small...pen? You know, something that might make him insecure in his masculinity and lash out at others?

I wonder what he says about International Male's catalog. That would probably be a real hissy fit.

5. someoneNew

someoneNew Senior Member

It's not often I read The Washington PostCargo was fluff, but I thought it at least made for interesting bathroom reading.

Exactly, most all men's fashion mags are fluff - you can finish them in about 10 minutes.

6. Alter

Alter Distinguished Member

Could it be that this writer is embarassed by his shockingly small...pen?
    It's not the size of your pen that counts; it's your penmanship. [​IMG]

7. Teacher

Teacher Stylish Dinosaur

It's not the size of your pen that counts; it's your penmanship. [​IMG]

Sure, but not everyone has neat penmanship, and so they get embarassed and frustrated.[​IMG]

8. acidboy

acidboy Stylish Dinosaur

Exactly, most all men's fashion mags are fluff - you can finish them in about 10 minutes.

mens fashion mags are the best bathroom reading materials ever!

... well, maybe second only to playboy if you're in your teens.

9. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Senior Member

I...really like GQ. The fashion ain't always spot on, but the political and sports writing is entertaining, the recipes are often delicious, and a copy usually keeps me going for a week or so of 20 min bus rides.

And every now and then, there's a fashion spread that really hits the mark, and that's nice too.

10. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Distinguished Member

Mr. Carlson is a hater, pure and simple. Dollars to donuts that he wears Dockers and blue button-downs and believes that any man who looks/dresses better than he does is gay . . .