• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would you wear this watch?

schrag

Reaction score
Is that strap made from goat scrotum?

Kidding aside, I echo what Mariooo said: choose a watch for the ... watch - and swap out the strap to whatever colour or material you want.

Last edited:

Jt787

Reaction score
I'm no fashion guru unfortunately. So you're suggesting that I buy the strap separately? And then what?

Jt787

Reaction score
Oh ok!! I never thought about it that way :) Thanks guys.

Can you suggest me a watch + brand within the 300-500$ range that I should put on my shopping list?

schrag

Reaction score
Japanese brands like Sieko and Citizen might be a good start - Seiko has some nice stuff in the 'Premier' line with automatic movements. Mall & Jewelry Brand watches (Fossil, Kenneth Cole, etc) aren't really the best value as they're almost all cheap, quartz battery jobs trying to look nicer than they are. They cost way more than they're worth, banking on name or 'design'.

Sticking with a real watch company, even if modestly priced is better in the long run, both for servicing and 'authenticity'. You're more likely to notice the quality in the materials and workmanship and feel better about money spent.

Last edited:

Mariooo

Reaction score
Hamilton, Stowa, Junkers, Poljot/Volmax, Junghans,....

and you might probably browse through the two? big watch threads

deandbn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
That watch looks like a kinda take-off on the current Longines St Imier range with the pink gold and stainless steel and crocodile strap (the white face version). I know the Longines is $3600 and the one you looking at is $100, but maybe you can compare what the real deal looks like. and work from there.

This one has a metal strap and the rose gold

These 2 have the leather straps and are just stainless steel. and are a lot cheaper
cos there is no gold.

Last edited:

MarcInDentonTx

Reaction score
FWIW it took me three months and many unsuccessful attempts, but I bought a vintage Girard Perregaux, 14K automatic for less than $600 on fleaBay. Research, watch the feedback and look at the comps. You can get something nice that you can have for a long time for what you pay for one of those mall store watches. I'd go for quality and not instant gratification. Just my two cents worth.

papa kot

Reaction score
Not in million years.

You'll ruin any suit suit with watches like this. Your options are as follows:

1. Spend less than $500 on an entry level mechanical watch.

2. Spend more than $4K on a decent watch.

The rules above are optional... But you shall never buy a watch form a company that does not specialize in watches. You would not buy a suit made by IWC, so why buy a watch made by a guy who adjusts his collections according to seasons?

CrAz3D

Reaction score
Not in million years.

You'll ruin any suit suit with watches like this. Your options are as follows:

1. Spend less than $500 on an entry level mechanical watch.

2. Spend more than $4K on a decent watch.

The rules above are optional... But you shall never buy a watch form a company that does not specialize in watches. You would not buy a suit made by IWC, so why buy a watch made by a guy who adjusts his collections according to seasons?
Decent...$4k? For Four thousand friggin dollars, I expect a damn fine watch. That thing better have like diamonds gears or some such.

swblueblood

Reaction score
$4k for a good watch is the beginning price. Add diamonds and you talking at least $30k for a good watch. I know that there are diamond watches under 30K but they usually have low grade diamonds. Omega, Tag Huer, Jaeger Lecoultre, and IWC have models that cost approximately $4k. It is worth the cost on a better grade watch. I currently wear a Rolex Air King which runs curfrently new $4.5K but you can find one for $2K on the use watch market. There expense placed in a good watch is a good investment because by the time it wears out, you would spent many times its cost in cheap watches. As a friend of mine once said, "Only the rich can afford cheap watches."

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mechanical watches aren't necessary. They're a giant money pit compared to a quartz, and keep worse time. If you don't have a hard on for intricate, complex, machinery and just want a nice looking watch, quartz is more than appropriate.

The only maintenance a quartz needs is a battery every few years. Runs ya $5. A mechanical watch? Servicing is recommended every few years, and runs anywhere from $100 to $10,000 for the really nice and delicate stuff.

There are affordable, durable (meaning less servicing) mechanicals like the Sekio 5, and one of those would be a nice choice. Or a vintage russian watch (mostly hand wind, but some very cool designs, and famously durable motions- search for Vostok or Pobeda). Or, you could buy a quartz that would be indistinguishable from an automatic to anyone but a watch dork upon close inspection. Which will last you half as long for a fortieth the price.

High end mechanicals are luxury items, and unlike something like shoes or suits, the increased complexity of the construction leads to no practical benefit. A nicely designed quartz would be an excellent choice. I wouldn't trust one from a brand not know primarily for watches, since they're probably overpriced for what they are, but there's nothing wrong with a little modernity on occasion.

Last edited:

papa kot

Reaction score
Mechanical watches aren't necessary. They're a giant money pit compared to a quartz, and keep worse time. If you don't have a hard on for intricate, complex, machinery and just want a nice looking watch, quartz is more than appropriate.
The only maintenance a quartz needs is a battery every few years. Runs ya $5. A mechanical watch? Servicing is recommended every few years, and runs anywhere from $100 to $10,000 for the really nice and delicate stuff.
There are affordable, durable (meaning less servicing) mechanicals like the Sekio 5, and one of those would be a nice choice. Or a vintage russian watch (mostly hand wind, but some very cool designs, and famously durable motions- search for Vostok or Pobeda). Or, you could buy a quartz that would be indistinguishable from an automatic to anyone but a watch dork upon close inspection. Which will last you half as long for a fortieth the price.
High end mechanicals are luxury items, and unlike something like shoes or suits, the increased complexity of the construction leads to no practical benefit. A nicely designed quartz would be an excellent choice. I wouldn't trust one from a brand not know primarily for watches, since they're probably overpriced for what they are, but there's nothing wrong with a little modernity on occasion.

If you really want to be honest about it, then most of the items discussed on this forums are not necessary, as they cost decent money up front and require maintenance. I'd argue that mechanical high-end watches as sort of like bespoke clothing -- you either get it and care about it or you don't. Some people violate the dress code and others wear hideous time pieces.

As for Russian vintage watches -- please stay away unless you're Russian who can use nostalgia to justify his longings for sub-par time pieces. For the reference, I've had my fair share and I'll take a vintage Omega over the brands you've mentioned any time.

ggtk

Reaction score
I always recommend the Omega Speedmaster for someone looking to purchase their first mechanical watch. If youre not concerned with impressing friends with a nice mechanical then I agree with the previous poster that a nice quartz from a reputable watch brand is a good choice.. Less maintenance and better timekeeping.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads