• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would you wear a suit without a tie?

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm in Houston, Tx. Currently 95 degrees and humid. I sell new homes on site at new subdivisions. The model home is that I work out of, is air conditioned and comfortable. But all day long I go in and out of the model home. Usually to homes in various stages of construction. They, of course, have no A/C, and are often muddy!

The dress code is "professional casual". This translates to dress pants and a dress shirt. Most sales people have a coat in the office(which they generally don't wear). Some wear a tie and some don't.

I love to wear suits, but it might not be a wise choice outdoors in Houston, in July and August. So, I've started to wear a suit without a tie. And without the coat when I'm outside.

Given the circumstances, would you still wear a suit(even without a tie) or just go "professional casual" for the summer?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe. Thing is that if I have a chance to wear a suit (VERY rare in Arizona), I'd love to wear a tie (yes, I am twisted like that).

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are men who have a certain panache, a certain je-ne-sais-quoi who can pull off the suit-without-a-tie look. They are not many. I am not among them. Most men are not among them.

If you are already wearing a suit jacket, a necktie, unless it's strangulation tight, shouldn't increase your discomfort much in hot weather.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Also from Houston, but my situation is that my office is casual. The general thought around here is:

suit + tie = flight risk

So when I wear suits, most of the time it's sans tie, but with a patterned shirt. When vendors come for negotiations I wear a tie. Also wear a tie if I'll be speechifying or giving a presentation.

Come on winter!

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think it works if the suit and shirt are both a bit on the casual side. But I think of the look as really a social look, rather than a business look.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
There are men who have a certain panache, a certain je-ne-sais-quoi who can pull off the suit-without-a-tie look.

You're too kind. I'll wear suits with linen shirts and cotton knits in the spring/summer, cashmere polos and mock turtlenecks in the fall/winter.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, and I am doing so today. I think it works if the suit is a slim, designer number. A center-vent, sack suit without tie just looks wrong, imo.

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know of at least one guy who conducts his business in a suit without a tie.

tom_collateral.jpg

I think Ambulance Chaser has it right on this one.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
There are men who have a certain panache, a certain je-ne-sais-quoi who can pull off the suit-without-a-tie look. They are not many. I am not among them. Most men are not among them.

Thanks for that !
smile.gif
I almost allways wear suits without a tie.. I put on the tie for business when visiting customers... if not I wear the suit with bold shirts sans tie and with a gold necklace... ( 2 buttons open is the minimum )... I love my suits ! for business and casual and night outs...

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lakewolf
... if not I wear the suit with bold shirts sans tie and with a gold necklace... ( 2 buttons open is the minimum )...

wow.gif

rnoldh: I don't like the suit w/o tie look. If you're concerned about heat, it's not the tie but the coat that's the problem. If you're walking around in a suit pants and shirt w/no tie, you may as well wear odd trousers and remove the coat if it's really hot. Especially if the suit is pinstriped, wearing only one half the suit looks bad imo.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear a lot of "casual" suits; linen, pincord, corduroy, tweed, etc, and frequently without a tie (depends on what clients I'm seeing, etc.)

I find that this look often needs some modifications: I nearly always wear a pocket square, unless I'm wearing a turtleneck, and I often wear loafers or derby-cut shoes with the suits. I have to agree with Ambulance Chaser: A dressier, more conservative business suit normally needs a tie.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with grimslade, it's more of a going-out look.

Also: animated smilies(!)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics