1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Would you wear a suit without a tie?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rnoldh, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Kasper

Kasper Senior member

If you aren't going to wear a tie with a suit when will you then?

2. johnnyblazini

johnnyblazini Senior member

PS no tie works for me. I do this almost every day (not a fan of the sportscoat).

Its not for everyone, but if done right, it can work right...

3. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I rarely wear scarves anymore. The only ones I tend to wear are silk knit ones, otherwise I prefer bowties. They have a rebellious streak about them.
    One word: bolo.

4. royal618

royal618 Senior member

It's 75 degrees today, I'm wearing a tie.

It was 93 the other day, I didn't have to see anybody, I didn't wear a tie.

Basically, if it's above 90, I'll bring a tie in from home to the office in case it's needed.

5. topbroker

topbroker Senior member

You want to sell me a house? Wear the tie. Worried about the heat? Go with an unlined tropical wool suit, or a seersucker in a conservative color, or a cotton poplin, or a linen blend (which will wrinkle less than a 100% linen suit would).

I'm with this point of view. The joy of seasons is that you get to wear different sorts of suits, and the ties that go with them. I always wear a jacket and tie for work. For a jaunty look at a weekend or summer evening party, I occasionally skip the tie; more often with a sportcoat and trousers combo, sometimes with a light-colored suit.

6. DeSica

DeSica Senior member

There are men who have a certain panache, a certain je-ne-sais-quoi who can pull off the suit-without-a-tie look. They are not many. I am not among them. Most men are not among them.
    ??? Go to continental Europe. You don't even have to leave the airport...just look around, get back on the plane, and go home, content knowing that men are doing it there everyday, and have been doing so for decades. If they can do it, you can do it.

7. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

Why wouldn't you wear a suit without a tie in some situations?

8. epa

epa Senior member

Nowadays, in continental Europe, you can actually see anything...
    I cannot see that there is anything wrong with wearing a suit without a tie, but it does look informal. And I do prefer the sans tie look with a sportscoat. However, on a Friday I might consider wearing a suit sans tie, although I have never done it yet. I guess that is because I really like my ties and, as somebody here said, if you do not wear them with a suit, when do you wear them?
    By the way, it is hot around here in summer, but I do not think that the tie contributes substantially to the problem.

9. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

I do it. Last summer, when it was 100+ degrees out, I would wear my linen suits with linen dress shirt and it didn't feel like I was wearing anything at all. Could also try tropical wool with a nice cotton polo.

I have seen my tailor make some seersucker suits with some pretty cool patterns, one was a kind of glen plaid looking one in a light blue, looked really nice and I couldn't tell it was seersucker.

The tie doesn't make things all that much hotter. Sometimes I will unbutton the top button and loosen the tie very slightly, but you have to be careful, otherwise you will look drunk or trying to hard.

10. epa

epa Senior member

I think that linen suits have something a little bit "informal" about them, which makes them especially appropriate for the "sans tie" look. I have no such suit myself (I do hope I will have one some day, though), but even my (only) linen&cotton odd jacket is something I especially like to wear sans tie.
    Now, it is when it comes to more formal looking wool suits that I have doubts about the sans tie option.

11. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

^^^Just out of curiosity, are you going to be reviving every long-since-dead thread to discuss your outlook on ties?

12. GuidoWongolini

GuidoWongolini Senior member

I only wear a tie for serious client meetings in b/room situations or meet & greets, even then it is dependant on the client.

In fact most of my posts on WAYWT is suit/shirt & tie-less.

But then my industry can be too relaxed.. Which is no excuse.

13. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw Senior member

Wearing a suit without a tie looks smarmy.

14. lee lin

lee lin Senior member

15. GuidoWongolini

GuidoWongolini Senior member

Really? I think I know where you are coming from, especially when one un-buttons too many.. Also, a lot has to do with the shirt collar style. I hope I don't come across 'smarmy'.. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. penguin vic

penguin vic Senior member

Depends on the situation and environment. In some instances wearing a suit with a tie looks uptight. I don't think el GW looks smarmy at all.

17. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

It's more the rule rather than the exception in my case. Flay me alive...

18. bowtielover

bowtielover Senior member

I wouldn't, I love my bowties and always seem to have an excuse to wear them weither it is church, work or just for the heck of it, I am not in the heat like you are though and I guess in your situation I might find it a tad unbearable to wear one, which I find hard to believe but I am not like most people.

19. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

I wouldn't, I love my tie collection and always seem to have an excuse to wear them weither it is church, work or just for the heck of it, I am not in the heat like you are though and I guess in your situation I might find it a tad unbearable to wear one, which I find hard to believe but I am not like most people.

20. williamson

williamson Senior member

Perhaps; but to add to what I have already written in this thread, I think it looks sloppy, unfinished and, above all, incongruous.