Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Would you wear a suit without a tie?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rnoldh, Aug 18, 2006.

1. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

There are men who have a certain panache, a certain je-ne-sais-quoi who can pull off the suit-without-a-tie look. They are not many. I am not among them. Most men are not among them.

If you are already wearing a suit jacket, a necktie, unless it's strangulation tight, shouldn't increase your discomfort much in hot weather.

Unfortunately, I don't think I have that panache(and it's too hot anyway!) Until the weather breaks, I think I'll go with dress slacks and a nice shirt. And with a venerable "Blue Blazer", kept at the office(and some ties of course). But if it's OK to "professional casual" in July, and August, who am I to argue!

2. lakewolf

lakewolf Senior member

[​IMG]

rnoldh: I don't like the suit w/o tie look. If you're concerned about heat, it's not the tie but the coat that's the problem. If you're walking around in a suit pants and shirt w/no tie, you may as well wear odd trousers and remove the coat if it's really hot. Especially if the suit is pinstriped, wearing only one half the suit looks bad imo.

an off-white linen suit is great for summer... and on chilly evenings I wear my black linen suit or the "golden" cotton khaki

3. lakewolf

lakewolf Senior member

I sometimes go without a tie till the weather cools down. I use the pocket square to dress it up. A university seems a more forgiving environment to wear a suit this way.

Me either... the pocket square and a nice shirt dress it up

4. lakewolf

lakewolf Senior member

The only alternative is a bow tie.

I've got plenty of beautiful bowties.. woven and plain silk, that I got pretty cheap on sale at tie rack... But I can't pull them off.... I think when I am over 50 I'll do it [​IMG]

5. williamson

williamson Senior member

[​IMG]

rnoldh: I don't like the suit w/o tie look. If you're concerned about heat, it's not the tie but the coat that's the problem. If you're walking around in a suit pants and shirt w/no tie, you may as well wear odd trousers and remove the coat if it's really hot. Especially if the suit is pinstriped, wearing only one half the suit looks bad imo.

Absolutely! If a tie is uncomfortable, the collar is too tight, and it's certainly the jacket that causes overheating. I loathe the look of open-necked shirts with sports jackets or blazers, let alone with suits - a look that has reached epidemic proportions. And to wear a pocket square without a tie is to put the cart before the horse - something of greater formality is added before a less formal item.

6. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

Well, I'm certainly no George Clooney. But I do think it's a good look if you can pull it off.

[​IMG]

Obviously, in certain offices it would be frowned upon, but it's fine in a lot of places here in Phoenix.

7. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

I wear a cotton crewneck sweater with a suit sometimes and in cool weather a cashmere sweater with a suit. It's another look and way to wear a suit even if the Rules don't allow it.

8. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    I have. I will again.
    And strangely, I believe the only instances on which I did so I was wearing a BLACK SUIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is a bit like a multiplying a negative number by a negative number, which IIRC is a positive.

'Course, I up here on the Plains where all too often women are men and rules were made to be broken

9. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

pocket squares are the new necktie

and black has become the new black

10. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

The only alternative is a bow tie.
    I often can't tell when you're joking.

11. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

I do it all the time.

12. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Senior member

I think the look is best pulled off in a relatively minimalist fashion - a plain white or pale shirt with either covered placket or French front, and a strong collar - so it looks like you intended to wear it sans cravatte, not simply that you were too hot and doffed the offending neckwear.

I agree with the pocket square - something patterned (like Hermes, I detest their ties but adore their pochettes) works well.

Cheers,

Eden

13. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member Dubiously Honored

yep all the time p's the gaffer off[​IMG]

14. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I often can't tell when you're joking.
    I rarely wear scarves anymore. The only ones I tend to wear are silk knit ones, otherwise I prefer bowties. They have a rebellious streak about them.

15. DGP

DGP Senior member

The suit w/o tie is my version of casual Friday, lol. Seriously, I think I pull it off better than most because my suits and shirts are slim enough, and I do it with a crisp, plain shirt as opposed to some monstrous striped number fit only for a pimp. I'll often pair this with a low black boot or loafer instead of oxfords, to keep it a bit sleeker looking.