Would you wear a red gingham shirt?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Kent Wang, Jan 5, 2011.

1. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Only if it has an orange cast:

From those pics, it appears that that color goes horribly with your skintone.

I would probably wear a smaller checked one (14.5/32 if we're giving 'em away), but I wouldn't seek it out.

I have passed up a perfectly fitting red gingham cotton jacket that was $2 at a thrift store becuase of the tablecloth issue though. Same size checks as the stereotypical fabric, I just couldn't see myself ever wearing it without looking like a caricature.

2. Mr.K

Mr.K Senior member

I have one shirt already and am planning on another for this coming summer.

3. Dewi

Dewi Senior member

Hells yeah, I would.

4. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

Kent, if you made a shirt similar to this, I would absolutely buy one.
    I wear one on occasion and can always count on someone making the "table cloth" comment, but I couldn't care less. I like the look though with a navy tie. Here's a pic I posted last year of the combo.
    [​IMG]

5. Sazerac

Sazerac Senior member

often

[​IMG]

Was that taken at the Nat Sherman store?

6. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Love gingham, hate red (for me).

7. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Kent, if you made a shirt similar to this, I would absolutely buy one.
    Spoo's shirt looks like it has an orange cast, am I right? Glad to hear most people don't have a problem with red. I personally don't care much about what other think and would wear a red gingham shirt no matter what, but I wasn't so sure that it would sell. So I'll have a mid-red gingham with spread-collar in about a month.

8. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

Spoo's shirt looks like it has an orange cast, am I right? Glad to hear most people don't have a problem with red. I personally don't care much about what other think and would wear a red gingham shirt no matter what, but I wasn't so sure that it would sell. So I'll have a mid-red gingham with spread-collar in about a month.
    Yup, it does -- a "brighter" red between red and orange, from the looks of it (although, I believe it's ndw's shirt, posted by Spoo). I've a pink/purple and a navy gingham that I rather like. Been wanting a red one, but they're not particularly easy to find, especially in smaller sizes/slim fit.

9. ndw

ndw Senior member

Yup, it does -- a "brighter" red between red and orange, from the looks of it (although, I believe it's ndw's shirt, posted by Spoo).

I've a pink/purple and a navy gingham that I rather like. Been wanting a red one, but they're not particularly easy to find, especially in smaller sizes/slim fit.

It's actually table cloth red with no orange. That was just a shitty phone pic. It's a bold look, but I tone it down by making sure everything else is a dark solid - like navy and grey.

I think this conveys the color a lil better.

[​IMG]

10. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

Would you wear a mid-red gingham shirt, like the classic picnic table cloth? I wear all other colors of gingham but am somewhat concerned about red because of this association.

here's the thing. . i would wear (or find interest in, at the least) any item of clothing that has a really good fit. if it fits supremely well, i dont care if it is made of shoddy material and looks like a stairwell floor pattern, i would probably be interested in rocking it (of course price comes into play here as well)

11. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

gshen's looks nice.

Also:

[​IMG]

12. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Let us consider the inverse: is your picnic table cloth red gingham? I haven't been on a picnic in a while, but if I were to seek out such a cloth I feel obligated to only get red gingham.

I would also not be opposed to wearing a red gingham shirt at the same time, so that if I lie down on the cloth I would be camouflaged.

13. ndw

ndw Senior member

I wear the table cloth as a sarong to the picnic and then take it off once I get there and use it. My boxers are bespoke so its a great way to show them off.

14. Johnny24

Johnny24 Senior member

I would for sure as long as the shirt wasn't screaming loud with massive checks. I think it looks great with the suit that was posted a few pages back and I support it with dark jeans and desert boots or even dark jeans and a light-mid tan jacket if you were dressing it up on a weekend morning or a summer night.

I know the feelings for Dan T are mixed here, but I think he wore a jacket and shirt combo on his blog that was similar for "Sunday brunch" or something along those lines. Looks sharp when done right.

Kent....Are you asking b/c you may add one to the site? Sorry if already asked/answered, I haven't done the page by page on this thread.

15. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

It's actually table cloth red with no orange. That was just a shitty phone pic. It's a bold look, but I tone it down by making sure everything else is a dark solid - like navy and grey.

I think this conveys the color a lil better.

[​IMG]

I really dig that. Much better pic!