1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Would You Wear A Corset?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LabelKing, Nov 8, 2008.

1. manouche

manouche Senior Member

Only if I can wear sheer nylon stockings with it

2. Bohdathone

Bohdathone Senior Member

There's a funny bit in Boris Akunin's "The Winter Queen", where the main character sits uncomfortably in his corset while his boss rants about the corset advertisement he's just seen in the paper... Worth a read if you're considering trying one

3. dl20

dl20 Distinguished Member

sounds kinda ghey

dl

4. erdavis

erdavis Senior Member

If I were going to be on TV or photo and was a bit tubby, the answer is yes. For any other reason the answer is "no".

Womens fashion is about making things look vastly better than they actually are. Men's fashion is about showing the best of what is.

5. 0b5cur1ty

0b5cur1ty Distinguished Member

The corset wasn't that bad, it was the velco type rather than lace-up and you got used to it quickly. But when it was time to take it off... we jokingly called it a "corset-gasm" because of the relief of feeling your intestines settle back into place!

That cannot be healthy.

I usually say "Let me just slip into something a little more comfortable," and undress out of sight and into a silk robe, holding 2 glasses of red wine.

Classy. [​IMG]

6. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

No, I wouldn't.

It sort of reminds me a bit of Chinese foot-binding... a deliberate alteration of the body's natural lines/shape to fit with some misguided aesthetic principle.

I think that the way the body looks with a natural amount of exercise, healthy eating habits, plenty of rest, etc. should be the goal... not having a 18 inch drop from shoulders to waist.

7. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Fashion Hayzus

Rach I'm sure you'd stretch your neck with rings though.

8. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

Rach I'm sure you'd stretch your neck with rings though.
    [​IMG] Yep, I'd like one so long and lanky that if I took the rings off, my head would flap to one side by its weight. Really, though, if I'm going to work on stretching something, it WON'T be my neck. As it stands, though, I'm pretty happy with the way things are.

9. LabelKing

LabelKing Stylish Dinosaur

In Pearl Binder's book, The Peacock's Tail, she mentions how men were wearing corsets--or girdles--in her time, which was the 1950s.

She cites several examples of men wearing corsets and also making their children wear corsets as a way of improving posture.

10. Bird's One View

Bird's One View Distinguished Member

11. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Distinguished Member

Such as President Kennedy.

I think that was actually a back brace, not a corset.

edit: Indeed it was - and there's speculation that the back brace is what kept him upright for the fatal shot.

edit 2: I supposed you could call the back brace a corset - but it seems the point was to hold his back up, not tighten his gut.

12. LabelKing

Along with a corseted waist, the aesthetic called for slim but not scrawny legs and broad shoulders with small hands and feet. [​IMG] You can actually see all of this in action in one of those numerous period fashion advertisements that Sator posts. A 19th century corset advertisement notes that the ideal waist and chest ratio is 34:26.

13. LabelKing

[​IMG] Apparently, some older military officers would lace their corsets so tight, that they would sometimes faint. This is an interesting tidbit of history that most people are not aware of; indeed, the feminazis love to cite how in the past, the corset was a marker of patriarchal oppression when in reality, those patriarchs were possibly wearing corsets as well.

14. cufflink

cufflink Active Member

Whoa nelly

I would never want to wear a Corset, never!

15. Cornellian

Cornellian Senior Member

Nevermind.