• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would you try a tailor that charges half yours?

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what you guys think about trying out a new suit tailor that charges half the amount that the tailor I am happy with, all other things like fabric and the number of fittings being equal.

Would you, for example, go for a lesser fabric with your favorite tailor to save cost instead?

To put it in context, I don't have enough suits to rotate for work yet. Should I go for quantity with the more affordable tailor and take the risk?

Alexis

Reaction score
Go for basic items sans tailor until you can afford a tailor.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Have you seen his work in his shop? If so, how did it look? Most importantly: have you seen his finished work on any of his clients? If so, how did that look? If you can give a positive answer to those questions, it's worth a try. In general, I would be skeptical, however. There's usually a reason why, of two similar items, one costs 50% less. If that can be accounted for by (say) differing labor costs in different countries, then you may well be fine. If these are two tailors in the same city, I would be extra careful. Whatever you do, don't skimp on cloth. You will really feel like a chump if in three years a beautifully-fitting suit wears through at the knees, or the lapels shine like side-view mirrors.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
i have a suspicion i know exactly which two tailors you are talking about
smile.gif
how did you feel about tailor number 2 when you met him? at ease and comfortable that you were being understood and that he can deliver what you are looking for? were you happy with his suggestions and recommendations? does he have positive recommendations and feedback from others? have you used him for other smaller jobs - shirts/alterations/etc? far be it from me to recommend quantity over quality here, but i think if you feel comfortable with number 2 and that he can deliver a product that you are happy with, then by all means test him out.

lisapop

Reaction score
Would you, for example, go for a lesser fabric with your favorite tailor to save cost instead?
I would definitely go for a lesser fabric, H. Lesser, that is.
smile.gif
As for the issue of quantity vs. quality, my father taught me well that it's a much wiser choice, in the long run, to choose quality over quantity. I'd much rather have 3 or 4 quality suits that will provide many more years of enjoyment than 10 or 12 mediocre suits that will disintegrate in due course. As for your decision at hand, my philosophy is to stick with what works for you. If you like the work of your current guy, consider yourself fortunate. Knowing how to measure and fit a garment are critical steps, and just because the other guy offers the same quantity of them, doesn't necessarily mean they will yield the same results. You might be surprised with a real "find", but then you might discover that you often get what you pay for. That said, one can also pay excessive fees for mediocre work. I've had the worsted wool pulled over my eyes many a time. Grayson

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you seen his work in his shop? Â If so, how did it look? Â Most importantly: have you seen his finished work on any of his clients? Â If so, how did that look? Â If you can give a positive answer to those questions, it's worth a try. In general, I would be skeptical, however. Â There's usually a reason why, of two similar items, one costs 50% less. Â If that can be accounted for by (say) differing labor costs in different countries, then you may well be fine. Â If these are two tailors in the same city, I would be extra careful. Whatever you do, don't skimp on cloth. Â You will really feel like a chump if in three years a beautifully-fitting suit wears through at the knees, or the lapels shine like side-view mirrors.
Manton, I have seen some suits "hanging around" in the more affordable tailor's shop, but have not seen any of his suits on his clients yet. The latter will be a deciding factor, as you rightly pointed out. Thanks.

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have a suspicion i know exactly which two tailors you are talking about
smile.gif
how did you feel about tailor number 2 when you met him? at ease and comfortable that you were being understood and that he can deliver what you are looking for? were you happy with his suggestions and recommendations? Â does he have positive recommendations and feedback from others? Â have you used him for other smaller jobs - shirts/alterations/etc? far be it from me to recommend quantity over quality here, but i think if you feel comfortable with number 2 and that he can deliver a product that you are happy with, then by all means test him out.
biggrin.gif
I think you know them too. I SENSE that the more affordable tailor is less attentive to details and fitting; ie: he has less time to spend on individual clients. I would love to see a finished suit on his client to judge for myself. I know my expectations, and would know if he can meet them if I see the product on the client.

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
On the one hand, if you try just one suit with the new guy, and if it doesn't work too well, then you have not been too hurt. I would only try one suit with the new guy.

On the other hand, if you have apprehensions and doubts and questions about the new tailor, many of your suspicions may be true. It may turn out that the cheaper suit will prove to be more expensive in that you'll wear it only a few times.

I have found that with both MTM and bespoke that there are no shortcuts and bargains. I have also found that you must be the ultimate judge and that you must experiment and accept the fact that you will make mistakes along the way.

Good luck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics