1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Would you take a 50% pay cut to pursue your passion?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by gladhands, Apr 29, 2011.

1. bigbjorn

bigbjorn Well-Known Member

Nah, I had a chance to get (very well-)paid for pursuing one of my passions as a job a few years back. After a year, it felt like a job, and my enthusiasm was waning. I went back to my old job. I guess the lesson is, "Go, pursue, but leave on good terms.". [​IMG]

2. dragon8

dragon8 Well-Known Member

gtfo OP. my passion is $$$$$$

Whose isn't?![​IMG]

3. ImaPro

ImaPro Well-Known Member

Every single one of my passions would take $$ away instead of making any,,,

4. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

Not yet. Dream house paid off and I would.

I'm pleasantly surprised by this response.

Nope.

I'm not at all surprised by this response.

5. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Well-Known Member

Definitely. Money is meaningless to me as long as it is over a certain bar. Luckily, 50% of my current income is > than the bar.

nice! half of my income cant even buy you a 10 year old shitty car.

6. thenanyu

thenanyu Well-Known Member

No, buying stuff is my passion. [​IMG]

Become a buyer!

7. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

no. i've had progressive increases in pay/standard of living, and i get addicted/used to the next level pretty soon after i attain it
    Actually that is my plan in the next few years. I pretty much hate my life right now. My 16 year old son is battling Cancer (doing pretty well at the moment), I don't like my job, don't see any value in my marriage any more... I am trying to figure out what I can live without and whether I can find happiness doing something I enjoy. My fear is that I won't be happier and I'll be poor. [​IMG]
    all the best to your son

8. Lord-Barrington

Lord-Barrington Well-Known Member

In the future I might take a 50% paycut to work LESS so I could pursue my passion. Making your passion your job has always struck me as a bad idea.

9. CouttsClient

CouttsClient Well-Known Member

Los Angeles/ DC/ The Gulf Coast/ Airplane...
    In the future I might take a 50% paycut to work LESS so I could pursue my passion. Making your passion your job has always struck me as a bad idea.
    I'm passionate about creating businesses. That has proven to be a great idea

10. Gingahbman

Gingahbman Well-Known Member

11. Blackhood

Blackhood Well-Known Member

So far I haven't had a job that I wouldn't have done for half the money, so I suppose that means I would follow my pasion. I'm lucky that my passion is a fairly well paying field.

12. mainy

mainy Well-Known Member

Threads like these make me happy that my passion in life is business, entrepreneurial endeavours and making money. Now the only question is how good will I be at the execution part.

13. JhwkMac

JhwkMac Well-Known Member

Was faced with this question last year. Chose the money. It's hard to be passionate when you're having trouble making ends meet and can't do the things that, to put it in divorcee terms, have grown accustomed to.

If half of your income still allows you to do most of the things you want to do but it means you will only have one yacht instead of two, like some here. Then I think the answer is clear.

When your so good at what your passionate about that it pays big, that's gold baby.

14. Steve B.

Steve B. Well-Known Member

I did. So far it hasn't worked out the way I wanted, but that doesn't mean it won't in the long run.

15. whacked

whacked Well-Known Member

This is where I'm at as well. Though I do reckon that passions evolve, and most things can be put on the block at the right price. So would I do something I don't care about for twice the money? It depends. [​IMG]
    I am pretty passionate about what I do, so I think the question is whether I would do something I don't care about for twice the money. Probably not, although then I would be near the styleforum minimum income.

16. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

The people that enter my profession hoping to make money are the stupid ones that won't make any, and the ones who turned down viable, lucrative careers in other fields often seem to be the ones that end up making out okay.

17. kxk

kxk Well-Known Member

given that my "passion" is one that doesn't draw a paycheck (writing), if i could be assured 50% of what i'd be making (year from now; right now, still a grad student), i'd probably snatch that deal up in a heartbeat

18. yerfdog

yerfdog Well-Known Member

Actually that is my plan in the next few years. I pretty much hate my life right now. My 16 year old son is battling Cancer (doing pretty well at the moment), I don't like my job, don't see any value in my marriage any more... I am trying to figure out what I can live without and whether I can find happiness doing something I enjoy. My fear is that I won't be happier and I'll be poor. [​IMG]

Whoa, this post was a lot heavier than everything else in the thread. Sorry to hear about that situation, that's tough. Best of luck to you and son.

19. Mr Herbert

Mr Herbert Well-Known Member

turning your passion into a career is a good way to learn to hate your passion

people who already claim they love their careers are glass half full types - more to do with personality than career choice.

im obviously excluding rock stars etc from these generalisations

20. yjeezle

yjeezle Well-Known Member

gtfo OP. my passion is $$$$$$

[​IMG]

No, I wouldn't. Mainly because I don't think that it would be my "passion" if I had to depend on it.