• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would you ride this Vespa?

IBJanky

Reaction score
300ccs of scooting power
drool.gif

Vespa GTS 300 Super

Looks pretty cool in black
cool.gif

vespa-gts.jpg

I should buy one and go cross country on it
biggrin.gif

F***ers are expensive though
ffffuuuu.gif

myke

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IBJanky
300ccs of scooting power
drool.gif

Vespa GTS 300 Super

Looks pretty cool in black
cool.gif

vespa-gts.jpg

I should buy one and go cross country on it
biggrin.gif

F***ers are expensive though
ffffuuuu.gif

myke

this is not a "Vespa"...

it's a scooter with auto transmission.

Bexhill

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Albern
No, but I would ride this one

vesperlynd.jpeg

A good man shares his ride with the poor and needy.

Albern

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bexhill
A good man shares his ride with the poor and needy.

laugh.gif
My response to that...

p_2529502.jpg

It should go without saying that I'm on the right, Eva is represented by the bear.

KnowYourRights

Reaction score
Disclaimer: I don't know how much riding experience you have, so forgive me if my comments seem rudimentary.

If you're considering a 300cc scoot for the power, just buy a small-displacement motorcycle. Better brakes, bigger wheels, more power. I've commuted on scooters in the past (newer Honda and old Vespa). When you're tapped out on the throttle and the light turns yellow...it can be a puckering experience. WIth a 500cc or 600cc motorcycle, you've got enough juice (and gears!) to drop a gear and get through the intersection (or away from whatever kook is currently trying to kill you).

If you're considering a scoot because you think it will be easier to ride (or handle better), get a motorcycle. I have a '70 Vespa Rally 180. My wife has an '04 LX150. They're fun, but my motorcycles handle much, much better at any speed (and they're older than the scoots).

One thing I've noticed about scooters of any vintage is the feeling that they're "not as dangerous as a motorcycle." And so I see a large number of scooter riders wearing little to no protection while they buzz around town. I'm not a gear-Nazi, but it just seems that scooter riders have a false sense of security when it comes to their rides.

Of course, if you really want a step-through, then get the scooter.

Modernist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
this is not a "Vespa"... it's a scooter with auto transmission.
+1 My best friend had a GTS 250. Saw the light, sold it, then got a PX 200, and then a Rally
smile.gif
A friend of my girlfriend's also got a GTS about 6 months ago. And he has now asked me to find him a classic, preferably a Rally or a Sprint.
Originally Posted by KnowYourRights
Disclaimer: I don't know how much riding experience you have, so forgive me if my comments seem rudimentary. If you're considering a 300cc scoot for the power, just buy a small-displacement motorcycle. Better brakes, bigger wheels, more power. I've commuted on scooters in the past (newer Honda and old Vespa). When you're tapped out on the throttle and the light turns yellow...it can be a puckering experience. WIth a 500cc or 600cc motorcycle, you've got enough juice (and gears!) to drop a gear and get through the intersection (or away from whatever kook is currently trying to kill you). If you're considering a scoot because you think it will be easier to ride (or handle better), get a motorcycle. I have a '70 Vespa Rally 180. My wife has an '04 LX150. They're fun, but my motorcycles handle much, much better at any speed (and they're older than the scoots). One thing I've noticed about scooters of any vintage is the feeling that they're "not as dangerous as a motorcycle." And so I see a large number of scooter riders wearing little to no protection while they buzz around town. I'm not a gear-Nazi, but it just seems that scooter riders have a false sense of security when it comes to their rides. Of course, if you really want a step-through, then get the scooter.
Excellent points. I'm all for Vespa, and IMHO (perhaps even in my misguided belief) they are one of the best means of urban transportation, especially when considering its low upkeep, the capacity to carry groceries, shopping bags, etc, and the ability to wear a nice pair of shoes without them being scuffed from gear changing , or a suit without the trousers getting covered in oil (I wear a scootering parka by Armadilo on top of that, or a lighter jacket in the warmer months, with shoulder and elbow shielding, plus gloves and helmet). But they do handle poorly when compared to a motorcycle. One reason I'm against the new "Vespas" is because of their price, the aforementioned advantages pale in comparison to the power and handling of motorcycles, who are not that much more expensive.

Wallcloud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
vespa.jpg
Lonestar would.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the laws are in your city but one of the good things about scooters here in TO is that you don't need to pay for parking. You can park 'em right up on the sidewalk.

wetnose

Reaction score
Vespas are lovely - got one as a stand-in when I took my Honda Jazz in for an oil change. Like night and day - the Vespa chassis was solid and the engine was peppy. Of course 2 different weight classes entirely but if I had the choice I'd go with Vespa.

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KnowYourRights
Disclaimer: I don't know how much riding experience you have, so forgive me if my comments seem rudimentary...
I think IBJanky has quite a bit of experience.

I'd ride one on vacation if that was all that was available.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think a GTS would be really uncomfortable to ride cross country or any real distance. Though I do know a few clubs that have ridden a good 400mi on older vespas to go to rallies, those guys/girls are pretty hard devout riders.

Personally, if I wanted a distance scooter not just round town putt putt I would go with Honda or Suzuki, and get rid of the stupid huge wind screen they put on them in the US. The Japanese models of the Skywave and Forza look soo much cleaner and more sleek.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads