• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would you re-locate to a place where you didnt know anyone?

WoodyStylee

Reaction score
So I recently was laid off from my job (PR firm), which was a blessing in disguise since I hated it anyways. I have an 'in' with a large Yacht brokerage, and growing up on the water - I can honestly see myself loving this very potentially lucrative career. However this very prestigious company only has offices in Ft. Lauderdale (hub for yacht sales), Annapolis MD, Newport RI, and a new office in Greenport NY (E. Long Island).

Now im 24, no wife/GF/kids, etc. I could easily up and move without having to answer to anyone, however all my friends/family are here in Boston. I know absolutly no-one in all of those places, and my question for you is...would you do it?

Its such a scary thing, moving to another part of the country where you dont know anyone. Its a major life move that i'm seriously considering.
bounce2.gif
Any simiar experiences?

ms244

Reaction score
Do it.

No risk, no reward. Plus you can take chics on your salesman's sample yacht. Can't beat that as a way of meeting people.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At your age, what do you have to lose? If you hate it, come back after a year or two. Just visit the place once or twice and see if its somewhere you'd like to live.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've done it 4 or 5 times as an adult, and about a dozen as a kid. do it. worse case scenario, you go back.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do it.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I say do it.

But keep in mind that there will likely be times in the first few months when you feel lonely, sad, regretful, or just stressed out. So just be prepared for this, and even if it is difficult at first try to stick it out at least 18 months before you make a decision to stay or not. Once you get used to everything you'll probably be fine.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I guess I don't even need to chime in here do I?

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
You're young enough, do it now because you can't do it later. Ft. Lauderdale... I think my grandpa has a condo there.
smile.gif

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
You're young enough, do it now because you can't do it later. Ft. Lauderdale... I think my grandpa has a condo there.
smile.gif

yea, you can have shabat dinner with every jew in toronto over the age of 60.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm going out on a limb here and say do it.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely do it. I'm from the Annapolis area and the Baltimore/Washington/Annapolis area is blowing up. Really nice for young professionals. And talk about the Sailing/Yachting capital of the U.S.

I recently went to graduate school in Long Island, where I knew no one. It was incredibly difficult, but I am glad for the experience.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll play the devil's advocate. Ask yourself how close you are to your family and friends. Can you easily spend time away from them, or do you see them every day? Do you like to try new things? Are you extroverted and social? Are you introverted, if so, do you need to be around people?

Some people don't deal well with being alone in new surroundings. Some people don't deal well with leaving comfort zones, with not having anyone they know.

Personally, I'm getting ready to move to another country that is a non-English speaking country, and because I like the other country, I do not see it as a big deal. I'll make friends there, I already live far away from family, I'll adapt to and learn the language as I immerse etc. My only worries are currency and mail related. I'll figure it out though.

You are in a good position to do this. Don't listen to anyone that says it won't be possible later. It will be possible, it just won't ever be this easy. I'm assuming you don't own a home right now, and you said you don't have your own family tying you down, so packing your bags and heading out is incredibly easy now. Also, at 24, social scenes will be easy to get into. As you get older, everyone has a family and thus does not go out as much.

Good luck.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless you are exceptionally close to your family, do it. I consider myself an introvert, at least I have been for most of my life, yet I"ve moved to new cities without a second thought several times in my life (once for college, once for grad school and twice for jobs). Look on it as an opportunity for personal growth and for meeting new people.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do it. We've all got to leave the fertile womb of home sometime.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads