1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

    There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

    Cheers,

    Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Would you pay to fly yourself to a job interview?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by dcg, Jan 19, 2010.

  1. jgold47

    jgold47 Senior member

    Messages:
    1,629
    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2008
    Location:
    The Mitten
    Sounds fair. I am just pushing you a littlle. Might I say that it sounds like your not that into the job and are just looking for excuses to pass on it? Nothing wrong with that.
     
  2. dcg

    dcg Senior member

    Messages:
    4,113
    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2007
    Location:
    Philly
    Sounds fair. I am just pushing you a littlle. Might I say that it sounds like your not that into the job and are just looking for excuses to pass on it? Nothing wrong with that.
    No worries, that's why I made the post. Helpful to get the viewpoint of folks outside the situation. Were I offered the position, depending upon where the offer fell within my salary range, there is a good to very good chance I'd take it. As I said, I enjoyed my conversation with the manager. The work is interesting; I believe it to be a good match for my experience and expect that it would enable me to learn about some areas that are of interest. The location, while not ideal, would work very well for me. My concern would be with the company itself, though a temp to hire arrangement allows the employee to determine whether it's a good fit as well as the employer.
     
  3. MiloX

    MiloX Senior member

    Messages:
    157
    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2008
    That's what it's come down to. I was told this morning that they looked into it and couldn't cover travel. I made the offer that if I accepted the position, I would be happy to have the cost of the flight come out of my first paycheck. They again replied that they were unable to cover travel under any circumstances.

    If they're asking me to pay, it's only right that they should have a fairly high level of confidence that they'd like to hire me. If they have that confidence, then my offer is a very low risk proposition for them. There's no reason that I should be taking all the risk; my proposed compromise is more than reasonable.

    If they agree to the video conference I'll proceed; at worst it's good practice. Otherwise I'll pass.



    I agree with the others that your insentience on making them pay puts you in a weak position, but the strategy I would be pursuing has nothing do with being hired by the new firm, and everything to to with strengthening my negotiating hand with the current firm. All of this is predicated on the fact that you can, and have delivered results for your current firm. If you haven't... forget it.

    You should use this opportunity as a way to parlay your current temp position into a definitive full-time gig. Since you are currently a contractor, this puts you in a very strong position. You have zero loyalty to the current company, and the current company has zero loyalty to you.

    Here's a couple of scenarios. In both scenarios, we assume you have let your current employer know you are taking the day off to interview for a new position.

    1. You spend the $350 and get an offer that would amount to a substantial increase in pay at the new firm. You now can either a) accept the offer and move to the new location, or b) use the offer as leverage with your current employer for a full-time gig plus a pay increase.

    2. You spend the $350 and don't get the offer. You have effectively put your current employer on notice that you are actively looking, and being strongly considered by other firms. You are under no obligation to let them know the outcome of the interview. Assuming you have the skills to back up your game, you again have substantial leverage with your current firm.

    Potential Upside: Competing offers.
    Downside: You're out $350 and you get to see your family and friends back-home for a day.

    Seems like an easy ROI to me.
     
  4. dcg

    dcg Senior member

    Messages:
    4,113
    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2007
    Location:
    Philly
    ^ Worthy of consideration. I'm reluctant to try this in my current situation for a two reasons:

    1. Based upon previous conversations with my current firm regarding the potential full time salary range, I don't believe they'd be in a position to offer much of an increase. Certainly possible that I'm wrong, but it would be a surprise.

    2. I've been here about 2 months. I've done some good things, but we're just starting to get to the point where I'm making contributions recognizable to a wider audience than my immediate manager. Also, a project that was one of the main reasons I was hired has been delayed and potentially canceled. In the event that the other position doesn't come through, I don't want them to have any motivation to say "well, he's good, but we don't have as much work as we thought, and he's already looking at other opportunities."

    While I assume they realize I'll be looking since I don't have a full time commitment, I've never told a current employer flat out that I was going to an interview. I'd be interested to hear from folks who have done so, and what their experiences have been.
     
  5. Crane's

    Crane's Senior member

    Messages:
    6,237
    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2008
    Location:
    Chasing tornadoes across the plains.
    ^ Worthy of consideration. I'm reluctant to try this in my current situation for a two reasons:

    1. Based upon previous conversations with my current firm regarding the potential full time salary range, I don't believe they'd be in a position to offer much of an increase. Certainly possible that I'm wrong, but it would be a surprise.

    2. I've been here about 2 months. I've done some good things, but we're just starting to get to the point where I'm making contributions recognizable to a wider audience than my immediate manager. Also, a project that was one of the main reasons I was hired has been delayed and potentially canceled. In the event that the other position doesn't come through, I don't want them to have any motivation to say "well, he's good, but we don't have as much work as we thought, and he's already looking at other opportunities."

    While I assume they realize I'll be looking since I don't have a full time commitment, I've never told a current employer flat out that I was going to an interview. I'd be interested to hear from folks who have done so, and what their experiences have been.


    It's a gamble. Sometimes it works other times it can cost you big time. I've played this game before. I never told who I was working for what I was doing up front. I would wait until I received the offer for employment. Then I would let them know and start the counter offer game.

    Don't show your cards early. Play your hand well and you win.
     
  6. Masshole

    Masshole Member

    Messages:
    17
    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2010
    Location:
    Boston
    I personally would not put up the money for a flight to an interview. If they are interested in you, they should make arangements to meet you, not vice versa. You also said you went through an agency, if the agency is anything like recruiters/head hunters, they will do ANYTHING to get you to meet employers so much so that i feel like its a numbers game. Made the mistake of working with ann agency years ago and they we just giving me sh*t leads and trying to convince me that it was something i would like. Point being, if this agency just wants to get people into that office to say they set up interviews, who knows how serious this employer might be about hiring you, esp. considering they wont Accommodate travel costs.

    By the way, where in the NE/city?
     
  7. forex

    forex Senior member

    Messages:
    6,595
    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2008
    It seems to me that the reluctance to go to the interview is more due to your hesitation of the company itself. I wouldn't have a problem with flying out myself if I stood a good change of getting the job and I was sure I am a good fit for the job and the company. $350-400 is not big of a deal if you can land a permanent position but given that the position is temp with possibility to hire full time,etc, I'd probably pass.
    Also,keep in mind that companies are looking for the best bang for their buck,they seem to think that it is seller's market right now and they can low ball the candidates and get away with it. I had an offer about 3 weeks ago and it wasn't where I want it to be,I gave them my number but after about a week or so,they informed me that they would like to interview some other candidates so I am not surprised that they don't want to fly you out.
     
  8. imageWIS

    imageWIS Senior member

    Messages:
    20,008
    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2004
    Location:
    New York City / Buenos Aires
    That's what it's come down to. I was told this morning that they looked into it and couldn't cover travel. I made the offer that if I accepted the position, I would be happy to have the cost of the flight come out of my first paycheck. They again replied that they were unable to cover travel under any circumstances.

    If they're asking me to pay, it's only right that they should have a fairly high level of confidence that they'd like to hire me. If they have that confidence, then my offer is a very low risk proposition for them. There's no reason that I should be taking all the risk; my proposed compromise is more than reasonable.

    If they agree to the video conference I'll proceed; at worst it's good practice. Otherwise I'll pass.


    Good analysis and strategy. I've gotten two job offers in which the company acted like they were enamored, but when it was time to put their money where their mouth is, it was a clear sign to me that they weren't truly serious.
     
  9. dcg

    dcg Senior member

    Messages:
    4,113
    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2007
    Location:
    Philly
    By the way, where in the NE/city?
    My avatar should give you a good hint [​IMG]
     
  10. dcg

    dcg Senior member

    Messages:
    4,113
    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2007
    Location:
    Philly
    Got word today that they're on board with conducting the interview over video conference. I'm told that they're still very interested in speaking with me. Not sure what to think at the moment, but no harm in doing the interview.
     
  11. Dakota rube

    Dakota rube Senior member

    Messages:
    14,501
    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2005
    Location:
    A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    Will you wear pants?

    (Seriously though, good luck.)
     
  12. medtech_expat

    medtech_expat Senior member

    Messages:
    1,019
    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2006
    Location:
    Paris & SF
    Not sure what to think at the moment, but no harm in doing the interview.

    Definitely a good sign. If the videocon goes well, they will likely fly you over for the final in-person round. Best of luck and keep us posted.
     
  13. dcg

    dcg Senior member

    Messages:
    4,113
    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2007
    Location:
    Philly
    Definitely a good sign. If the videocon goes well, they will likely fly you over for the final in-person round. Best of luck and keep us posted.

    Not so sure - initial word was that this was the final round, and I've received no indication that there's a change based on the fact that it'll be a video conference.

    I had initially proposed this on Thursday, and didn't hear back until toward the end of the day today, which makes me wonder if maybe they interviewed the other candidate(s) in the meantime and things didn't go well.

    Or maybe they just take a long time to respond.

    Thanks for the well wishes. Rube, hadn't thought about the pants. [​IMG]
     
  14. Joffrey

    Joffrey Senior member

    Messages:
    11,352
    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2006
    Location:
    Pennsylvania Ave/Connecticut Ave
    How/Where will you do the video conference?
     
  15. dcg

    dcg Senior member

    Messages:
    4,113
    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2007
    Location:
    Philly
    How/Where will you do the video conference?

    Probably just get a web cam and mic. Still waiting to hear about the setup.
     
  16. dcg

    dcg Senior member

    Messages:
    4,113
    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2007
    Location:
    Philly
    As closure, I heard today that they interviewed someone locally and went with that person, and therefore canceled the video conference interview. Glad I hadn't gone out and bought the hardware that would have been necessary on my end.

    I'm far from broken up over it, but I will say that it would be hard for me to have a lower opinion of a company. In the end I suspect I am much better off. I have no regrets with how I handled things.

    Thanks to all who offered advice!
     

Share This Page

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by