• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would you pay $700.00 for these N.D.C. ?

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Part of the fun of buying denim is also having them look the way you want to.

As much crap as 7FAM, R&R, Diesel etc. got from denim purists for being distressed/of crappy quality, they looked damn good when worn. I'm not saying anything about those jeans, but not everyone is looking for a pair of raw or dark jeans.

That said, i really like (insert a mall brand "designer" denim here) that i've seen. At $100+? Probably not as much. But for
$40-60 on sale or second hand, i'd probably pull the trigger on a few models i've seen.

Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
The distressing that i have are treated in such a way that does not represent how a pair of jeans would look with natural wear

i don't think they are trying to approximate natural wear with their washes, but they are aesthetic choices.

Look familiar?
devil.gif

Not that there's anything wrong with any of that.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ That's not really what I meant; a correct version would be

You're absolutely correct. NDCs and 7fam are really really similar. Way to point out certain members' hypocrisy.

Last time I checked NDC was not the shoe brand of choice of most people here, not even close.

FWIW, neither is Engineered Garments in the outerwear department, contrary to popular beliefs. It just happen that the EG enthusiasts really love the brand, and for good reason.

Edit to your edit
devil.gif
: a good case can be made that NDC is to sufu-ers what 7FAM is to honestforum-ers, I think.
smile.gif

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
^^ That's not really what I meant; a correct version would be

Last time I checked NDC was not the shoe brand of choice of most people here, not even close.

FWIW, neither is Engineered Garments in the outerwear department, contrary to popular beliefs. It just happen that the EG enthusiasts really love the brand, and for good reason.

Edit to your edit
devil.gif
: a good case can be made that NDC is to sufu-ers what 7FAM is to honestforum-ers, I think.
smile.gif

What about people (like me) who aren't anti pre-distressing or anti-leather or anti-hi-tops or anti-whatever but just think there are good and bad examples of all that stuff?

7FAM = everything I've seen is gaudy crap
NDC = hit and miss (some nice hits) and much higher quality level than the jeans mentioned above.

It is also perfectly reasonable to conceive of an individual that would like his jeans non-distressed and his shoe beat-up looking. I like ketchup on my freedom fries but not on my steak. Now if my stance was that I am anti-ketchup because I only like a pure, unadulterated taste in any food I ingest I guess you would have a point.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Ignoring the dialogue your original question set off, I will just answer your original query and say that I would not pay $700 for those shoes. I kind of like them but I would prefer to beat up my own boots.

mikesduc

Reaction score
I also prefer the do it yourself method, BUUUUT I really like these shoes. My asthetic in general is traditional clothing with a little twist thrown in. I don't believe these are any better than Indy's but the silhouette of the N.D.C.'s really strikes me. Even against worn in Indy's I like these better. These do look great on BTW.

But the 700.00 is killing me. Keep the responses coming.

mikesduc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked

Edit to your edit
devil.gif
smile.gif

Does that mean SuFu-ers like NDC or that we don't?

mongo615

Reaction score
I wouldn't pay $700 for them; I can't think of any shoe I'd pay that much for. While n.d.c. may not be everyone's cup of tea,I like them. I own 4 pairs, none of which I paid retail for. I think they're a good value at the $175-$275 range and they do offer some exclusivity. Alden and other boots of that ilk are nice, but they're out of my price range. Anyway, if you really like them, it shouldn't matter what any of us say and if you can't afford them, send them back.

mikesduc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mongo615
I wouldn't pay $700 for them; I can't think of any shoe I'd pay that much for. While n.d.c. may not be everyone's cup of tea,I like them. I own 4 pairs, none of which I paid retail for. I think they're a good value at the $175-$275 range and they do offer some exclusivity. Alden and other boots of that ilk are nice, but they're out of my price range. Anyway, if you really like them, it shouldn't matter what any of us say and if you can't afford them, send them back.

It's not whether you like them or not that I really asked, but would you pay that much. While they are very nice I couldn't justify that much without any knowledge of the brand i.e. how they hold up over time, superlative leathers, construction proccess. In other words are they close to Carpe Diem which people will pay 1200.00 for? If they had been 400-500 I wouldn't have asked the question.

From the responses so far I'm not inclined to keep them.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikesduc
It's not whether you like them or not that I really asked, but would you pay that much. While they are very nice I couldn't justify that much without any knowledge of the brand i.e. how they hold up over time, superlative leathers, construction proccess. In other words are they close to Carpe Diem which people will pay 1200.00 for? If they had been 400-500 I wouldn't have asked the question.

From the responses so far I'm not inclined to keep them.

You can get cordovan Alden for less than what you paid. That is a superior leather and shoe (subjectively speaking) than what you got. An Alden Indy will last longer, age better and more beautifully. That said, I have only seen the shoes you bought, not thoroughly inspected or even tried on. If you really want to keep them, you should. I think you could do better for the price you are paying.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I think that he just wasn't as interested in the Alden aesthetic/silhouette/details as much as he is the NDCs and Carpe Diems. I don't blame him. I recognize Aldens as amazing and all, but they're not the same shoes/boots nor do they give off the same vibe. Sure, the Aldens or some other really nice dress shoe or boot brand may make a better quality product (in terms of leather and construction) but it seems he wants his shoes to have a different aesthetic. NDCs and Carpe Diems may not be top dog in quality (they're still pretty solid from what i hear), but they offer a different take on boots/shoes that the OP appreciates slightly more. All that said, those aren't my favorite NDCs that i've seen. If you like the Carpe Diems and are interested in something similarly styled, you might want to check out the Wings & Horns boots. They're about $700 like the NDCs, but that's a big difference from the cdiems. www.peasantonline.com has them. Well, not yet, but you can preorder them.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
I think that he just wasn't as interested in the Alden aesthetic/silhouette/details as much as he is the NDCs and Carpe Diems. I don't blame him. I recognize Aldens as amazing and all, but they're not the same shoes/boots nor do they give off the same vibe. Sure, the Aldens or some other really nice dress shoe or boot brand may make a better quality product (in terms of leather and construction) but it seems he wants his shoes to have a different aesthetic. NDCs and Carpe Diems may not be top dog in quality (they're still pretty solid from what i hear), but they offer a different take on boots/shoes that the OP appreciates slightly more.

All that said, those aren't my favorite NDCs that i've seen. If you like the Carpe Diems and are interested in something similarly styled, you might want to check out the Wings & Horns boots. They're about $700 like the NDCs, but that's a big difference from the cdiems. www.peasantonline.com has them. Well, not yet, but you can preorder them.

I guess it was misleading when he said that "he had wanted an Alden Indy boot", but he did qualify that sentence by saying that "they left him cold" or something to that effect. I still think he could do better but, as I said, if he really wants them, he should get them. comma,comma,comma.

navysuede

Reaction score
$700 may be a little steep for those.However, they look to be comfortable and
if they make you feel good then go for it.As far as the materials, they use alot
of premium calfskins and distressed leathers which are tanned to be more supple
or softer and usually not lined...atleast not fully.Also, when the need arises for
you to repair them it will not be an easy task.

Good Luck

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads